Stoppages at Denver sluice.

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

Considering the very low volume of traffic around here since Fox's hire boats ended their season, I don't suppose it will affect navigation much, as probably the majority of boats passing through Denver Sluice do so on their way to or from the Middle Level.

Some of that notice is gibberish: "What three words ruling preheated stored" does not mean anything to me. Does it to anyone else?

50 minutes ago, Athy said:

Considering the very low volume of traffic around here since Fox's hire boats ended their season, I don't suppose it will affect navigation much, as probably the majority of boats passing through Denver Sluice do so on their way to or from the Middle Level.

Some of that notice is gibberish: "What three words ruling preheated stored" does not mean anything to me. Does it to anyone else?

What Three Words Location App: ruling.preheated.stored identifies location.

Edited by rgreg
Corrected
  • Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

This app really annoys me. ruling.preheated.store  is in Alaska.

ruling.preheated.stored is indeed in Norfolk: https://what3words.com/ruling.preheated.stored

ruled.preheated.stored is also in Alaska.

That is 3 different locations, however there seems to be no logical pattern to the words but there doesn't need to be.

Even with my ASD I can accept this as its the way it is rather than a change to an established system.

14 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

ruling.preheated.stored is indeed in Norfolk: https://what3words.com/ruling.preheated.stored

Yes, but if you use the actual three words -- ruling.preheated.stored -- it locates as being on the River Great Ouse by Denver Sluice.

What three words is one of the greatest ideas of this century, IMHO

'Help, I'm drowning!'

'Where are you?'

a) Somewhere in the North Sea

b) disdainfully.outlived.flora

c) 51°26'06.6"N 1°58'39.5"E

What is going to be easiest for the man on the street (or, as it may be, somewhere off Margate). It might not be perfect, but it is simple, clear, and accurate.  The database should probably excluded ings and eds though, they are liable to error as has been seen

5 minutes ago, Loddon said:

That is 3 different locations, however there seems to be no logical pattern to the words but there doesn't need to be.

Even with my ASD I can accept this as its the way it is rather than a change to an established system.

I think it is deliberate, so that if a word is misheard eg by a 999 operator, then they know they have misheard.  

if you are Greek, this location is ///κασέτα.μανάδες.φεύγοντας

French: ///pontage.réitérer.tambourinaire

I prefer google map pins to be honest,

15 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

Yes, but if you use the actual three words -- ruling.preheated.stored -- it locates as being on the River Great Ouse by Denver Sluice.

What three words is one of the greatest ideas of this century, IMHO

'Help, I'm drowning!'

'Where are you?'

a) Somewhere in the North Sea

b) disdainfully.outlived.flora

c) 51°26'06.6"N 1°58'39.5"E

What is going to be easiest for the man on the street (or, as it may be, somewhere off Margate). It might not be perfect, but it is simple, clear, and accurate.  The database should probably excluded ings and eds though, they are liable to error as has been seen

I'd probably go for "2 miles NW of Foxtrot 3 lightship", but I take your point. I seem to remember, in one of the recent RNLI documentaries on the BBC, that the Coastguard have a nifty system for getting a better fix on a mobile phone location. I can't remember the name of the process.  

I am also a fan of the RYA's Safetrx app, that sends your tracking detail to someone ashore and can be passed to the CG if you miss your planned arrival time.  https://www.rya.org.uk/knowledge-advice/safe-boating/keep-in-touch/Pages/safetrx.aspx

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

1 hour ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

It is specifically designed like that so that locations using similar words are far apart, so that it is not likely to cause confusion, and is obvious you have got it wrong.

55 minutes ago, Athy said:

In what way?

You just press the icon on the phone. A map comes up showing where you are with the option to share that location  by email/text/WhatsApp, etc. Pick one and select the recipient. 

Very accurate.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

In what way?

Well if he is coming by car he probably doesn't know where bridge 24 is or where the closest road to it is. More than once I have assisted medical teams when they have said we are looking for ****** boat, its about half a mile from the bridge where as W3W would have put them right outside it. I couldn't help the doctor as we didn't recall seeing the boat, so he just had to walk up and down looking.

11 minutes ago, pearley said:

You just press the icon on the phone. A map comes up showing where you are with the option to share that location  by email/text/WhatsApp, etc. Pick one and select the recipient. 

Very accurate.

I think you can then use the map the same way as you would put an address into TomTom to navigate right to the spot

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Athy said:

Pudding Chair Sometime.

It was the name of  a late '60s "underground rock" group, but it makes as much sense as the above.

If you put into what 3 words you will find its somewhere you know well.