Route Advice

InfectedFred

Featured Posts

Hi looking for good scenic routes from Bathampton to Nottingham Trent.
New to boating so easier routes are prefered, got a map app, and visited the website to see which locks are closed for repair/maintenance.
But still liable to make mistakes so ay advice would be greatly appreciated.
Also be great to meet some of you fine people out on the waterways.
Always loved them but only even traveled by cycle.
So newbie but ready.

An adventure

Nothing is going to happen now till spring next year, its winter, lots of stoppages on the canals and the Thames.

It will be the whole K&A to Reading then either right to London or left to Oxford, I would go to Oxford.

Then the Oxford canal up to Napton, then decide its either through Birmingham or round on the Coventry canal. ..................

Have you got a nice big map of the waterway system? Are you happy on rivers? Is speed important or do you have time to spare?

and I assume its a narrowboat ? 

.................Dave

It's all scenic, however, are you planning this for next year, or now. 

If now, you have probably missed the deadline.

Late March next year will see the best route open again(Thames closed for 5 months at key places).

The other choice is going down the Avon and up the Severn, but with the current forecasts and jetstream path, probably not wise for quite a while. 

14 minutes ago, dmr said:

An adventure

Nothing is going to happen now till spring next year, its winter, lots of stoppages on the canals and the Thames.

It will be the whole K&A to Reading then either right to London or left to Oxford, I would go to Oxford.

Then the Oxford canal up to Napton, then decide its either through Birmingham or round on the Coventry canal. ..................

Have you got a nice big map of the waterway system? Are you happy on rivers? Is speed important or do you have time to spare?

and I assume its a narrowboat ? 

.................Dave

Have picked up  nice big map from the Marina at Beeston.
Do have some experience but only through being with a friend who owned a boat til his passing, have decided due to personal problems to move into the boat but was hoping to bring it closer to home so could be near family.
Brought the boat but truth be told didn't put much thought into it, money isn't an issue as much as getting it back locally but didn't put much thought into ruotes being closed as always assumed they ran all year round as my local canals seem to.
I'd be alone but thats no an issue and would e keeping contact with others to minimum.
Time is not an issue providing im home for christmas.
So yeah an adventure, a new step in my life, but not a reckless one.
Am not daft and very respectful of water, i know the dangers and have the safety equipment.
Would be gutted to find cant get it home.
It's not a narrow boat.
It's 27ft long.

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

It's all scenic, however, are you planning this for next year, or now. 

If now, you have probably missed the deadline.

Late March next year will see the best route open again(Thames closed for 5 months at key places).

The other choice is going down the Avon and up the Severn, but with the current forecasts and jetstream path, probably not wise for quite a while. 

Don't matter so much the scenic as getting back to Nottingham.
Hopefully be able to still bring it back.

20201023_151025.jpg

Edited by InfectedFred

You would be best sticking it on a trailer if it's a 27ft plastic, be there same day, how wide is it??

It really is lovely trip, but it's now 2 days from EA shutdown, and  close to CRT " we dont like you boating "season....so unless you can move a while then leave it occasionally, and come back over Christmas, then road is the best bet. 

http://www.tonytugboats.com/

• Greenie 1

You have left it too late, so this is an adventure for next year. Bathampton and the K&A are lovely places to be, especially in the winter. Can you work out a way to delay this trip till next year?

Winter stoppages (big maintenance projects) start early November, I have not checked them but the chances of such a long trip without getting stuck somewhere are very low, plus possible lockdowns. Stay where you are, its good.

...............Dave.

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, matty40s said:

You would be best sticking it on a trailer if it's a 27ft plastic, be there same day, how wide is it??

It really is lovely trip, but it's now 2 days from EA shutdown, and  close to CRT " we dont like you boating "season....so unless you can move a while then leave it occasionally, and come back over Christmas, then road is the best bet. 

http://www.tonytugboats.com/

Do you have any recommendations for a good transporter company at all?
My car would be too small to pull it.
Can ask about though for someone with a Towbar, what kinda of trailer would be best if to do myself?

Edit:
Just seen your site Am looking now. cheers

Edited by InfectedFred

18 minutes ago, InfectedFred said:

It's not a narrow boat.

The question was asked about its width as some canals (locks) are limited to 7 feet wide.

If it is wider than that you will be limited to which canals you can use so may have to put in a truck to get past the narrow sections.

Again - what width (beam) is the boat ?

It makes a difference.

2 minutes ago, InfectedFred said:

Do you have any recommendations for a good transporter company at all?
My car would be too small to pull it.
Can ask about though for someone with a Towbar, what kinda of trailer would be best if to do myself?

This is the man you want.

http://www.tonytugboats.com/13.html

Edited by Alan de Enfield

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The question was asked about its width as some canals (locks) are limited to 7 feet wide.

If it is wider than that you will be limited to which canals you can use so may have to put in a truck to get past the narrow sections.

Again - what width (beam) is the boat ?

It makes a difference.

This is the man you want.

http://www.tonytugboats.com/13.html

It is 6 foot 6 inches wide, not super big.
Sorry misunderstood question.
Am gonna give hime a bell tomorrow about transporting the boat.
Thanks bud.
Bit gutted bout not being able to roam but totally get it.

Edited by InfectedFred

1 minute ago, InfectedFred said:

It is 6 foot 6 inches wide, not super big.
Sorry misunderstood question.
Am gonna give hime a bell tomorrow about transporting the boat.
Thanks bud.
Bit gutted bout not being able to roam but totally get it.

I suppose you won't be going anywhere anytime soon now the whole country is in tier 3 !!

"No unnecessary travel "

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I suppose you won't be going anywhere anytime soon now the whole country is in tier 3 !!

"No unnecessary travel "

Is it?

Since when?

4 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

Is it?

Since when?

Announced today on the local news.

It was going to be just the city but the latest figure have meant the rest of the county is to be included and have less than 24 hours notice (which has upset many - no 'last night orgy's)

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Announced today on the local news.

It was going to be just the city but the latest figure have meant the rest of the county is to be included and have less than 24 hours notice (which has upset many - no 'last night orgy's)

You said country. Not county.

2 minutes ago, matty40s said:

No edit visible.....

Correct.

Your point being?

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Whats the odd R's between friends !!!

I washed my hands earlier and now can do nothing with them.

?

34 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Ah, you are in one of those moods again.

Not at all Matthew, I was just curious about the point you were making.

Care to explain?

Other than of course observing or obliterating a boat name with such vigour perhaps suggests some sort of deep deep psychological or mental health problem?

That being of yours, not mine BTW, for the avoidance of doubt.

Ps, he/you missed a bit.

Pps any photos of the finished job? Would be good to see.?

Edited by The Happy Nomad

1 hour ago, InfectedFred said:

looking for good scenic routes from Bathampton to Nottingham Trent.

Congratulations!  That's a first for the forum.

We might even get a "bought in London, heading for Lancashire" post one of these days! :D

More seriously, I add another strong vote for Tony Andersen (Tony Tugboats), but I'd advise ringing him not emailing him - 07810 646733 - I have used him personally to shift a Nauticus 27 from Gayton to Chorley and he's a great bloke.