New Fridge (probably 12V)

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Looks like I'm going to have to replace the Waeco CRX50 fridge I bought in May 2016. 3 flashes of the red light suggest the compressor has a problem and I can see myself throwing good money after bad in diagnosis and attempting a fix.

I am extremely restricted by the space available which is only 380mm wide. It's about 580mm high, and 500mm deep. No way of finding or creating a bigger space.

If one was available this small, I would probably look at a 240V fridge, and buy a new inverter, (which is in the plan anyway), but I think the space available prevents this.

The only fridges I can find that fit are the Dometic/Waeco, Webasto, and Vitifrigo. (Cant find Inlander or Shoreline narrow enough).

The following are the largest of each brand that will fit.

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/dometic/waeco/crx50/fridge/   £550

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/webasto/cruise/cr49/elegance/campervan/caravan/marine/fridge/     £520

https://www.jacksonsleisure.com/caravan-motorhome/vitrifrigo-c51i-12-24v-caravan-marine-compressor-fridge/      £550

The Waeco is the best layout, (2 shelves), which is probably why I chose it 4 years ago, but the fact that it's failed in such a relatively short time, leaves a bad taste. Having said that, they all seem to use the same compressor and controller, (Danfoss BD35F), so maybe it's luck of the draw.

I like the idea of paying less, so the Webasto has an advantage there, although only £30 - does anyone have one, and is there any reason not to buy one?

Do I try another Waeco, in the hope that lightning doesnt strike twice?

Any good reason to buy the Vitifrigo?

Any other suggestions, including a small 240V fridge, (needs to be 380mm wide or less).

36 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I had the three red light thing on my old fridge.  I turned it off for a few hours.  Got the batteries well charged and turned it back on.  Hey presto!  All fixed!

Worth a try?

Tried and failed :( 

33 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Just looked at a site they think it's a motor start error caused by thermostat? So it could be very cheap repair 

Bypassed the thermostat and no change.

16 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Shame.  It usually worked on the IT Crowd too.

Yes :)

I did quite a bit of googling and youtube watching, and did whatever diagnosis testing I could find.

In the end, having seen some very useful Youtube Videos by them, and an extremely attentive email exchange, (and unfortunately), I've sent the controller to Penguin Refrigeration for testing. The idea being that if it's failed, they can send me a new one for £130. If it hasnt failed I have a different problem.

They have now had it for over a week, and just keep telling me they will let me know their findings once they have tested it. When that might be is anybodys guess - so I probably need a new controller in order for anyone to diagnose and fix.

I don't have the motivation for a fight with Penguin, so a new fridge is the easiest solution.

Once I get a new fridge, I may look at a repair and sale of the old one, but I'm stitched into a corner for now :( 

Hence the questions on the new fridge, rather than fixing the existing one.

Edited by Richard10002
  • Greenie 1

17 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

A friend of mine has just fitted last week the webasto and it looks good and hes pleased with it. Of course how long it lasts?????

It would seem that that is the 64 million dollar question.

These BD35F compressors seem to be fitted in all of the small 12V fridges so, if it's an issue with the compressor, it probably doesn't matter which fridge I buy, and the Waeco could be the best one again.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

It would seem that that is the 64 million dollar question.

These BD35F compressors seem to be fitted in all of the small 12V fridges so, if it's an issue with the compressor, it probably doesn't matter which fridge I buy, and the Waeco could be the best one again.

Warning - not all 12V fridges use the Danfos unit. There are at least two "look alike" makers. I think one far eastern and one Italian. I am fairly sure my Waeco had the Far eastern unit.

27 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Yes :)

I did quite a bit of googling and youtube watching, and did whatever diagnosis testing I could find.

In the end, having seen some very useful Youtube Videos by them, and an extremely attentive email exchange, (and unfortunately), I've sent the controller to Penguin Refrigeration for testing. The idea being that if it's failed, they can send me a new one for £130. If it hasnt failed I have a different problem.

They have now had it for over a week, and just keep telling me they will let me know their findings once they have tested it. When that might be is anybodys guess - so I probably need a new controller in order for anyone to diagnose and fix.

I don't have the motivation for a fight with Penguin, so a new fridge is the easiest solution.

Once I get a new fridge, I may look at a repair and sale of the old one, but I'm stitched into a corner for now :( 

Hence the questions on the new fridge, rather than fixing the existing one.

I occasionally drive by this place, I have no idea what they are like but might be worth a chat.

https://inlanderlowvoltage.com

I wouldn't imagine that you have gas fittings installed in that area but an old Electrolux 12v/ gas would fit. It seems a crime to me that fashion moved away from gas fridges onto electric ones. OK it's a fiver a week in gas to run it but better that than folk having to get huge battery banks and anti-socially belt out diesel fumes for hours every day, just to run a fridge. 

34 minutes ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I wouldn't imagine that you have gas fittings installed in that area but an old Electrolux 12v/ gas would fit. It seems a crime to me that fashion moved away from gas fridges onto electric ones. OK it's a fiver a week in gas to run it but better that than folk having to get huge battery banks and anti-socially belt out diesel fumes for hours every day, just to run a fridge. 

But they are crap! I have one in my camper if I turn on the gas it uses a small bottle in a day! The solar cant keep it running, it really only works on mains. My fridge freezer on the boat is light years ahead of it and is now 10 years old and still works great.

Just now, peterboat said:

But they are crap! I have one in my camper if I turn on the gas it uses a small bottle in a day! The solar cant keep it running, it really only works on mains. My fridge freezer on the boat is light years ahead of it and is now 10 years old and still works great.

I agree they aren't perfect but for those of us who live aboard without shore power I think they are a much better option than an electric one. My Electrolux is 22 years old, just needs the burner cleaning from time to time. A 13KG bottle of gas last 5 weeks, including use for cooking and hot water. If you're cruising for hours every day electric is fine but most of us don't do that. Solar is pretty much a waste of time from late October to February, as regards providing enough electricity to power a fridge and so, those with electric fridges need to run engines for many hours every day which as we know is both polluting and anti-social. 

1 minute ago, The Welsh Cruiser said:

I agree they aren't perfect but for those of us who live aboard without shore power I think they are a much better option than an electric one. My Electrolux is 22 years old, just needs the burner cleaning from time to time. A 13KG bottle of gas last 5 weeks, including use for cooking and hot water. If you're cruising for hours every day electric is fine but most of us don't do that. Solar is pretty much a waste of time from late October to February, as regards providing enough electricity to power a fridge and so, those with electric fridges need to run engines for many hours every day which as we know is both polluting and anti-social. 

Add more solar panels it's what I did on my narrowboat 

18 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Not my experience at all.  I had a motorhome with a 3 way electrolux fridge, running off little 3.9kg calor bottles.  In hot weather on a week's holiday I had the fridge running pretty much 24/7.  It used well under half a bottle in the whole week as I remember.  I suspect the one in your camper is faulty.

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Not my experience at all.  I had a motorhome with a 3 way electrolux fridge, running off little 3.9kg calor bottles.  In hot weather on a week's holiday I had the fridge running pretty much 24/7.  It used well under half a bottle in the whole week as I remember.  I suspect the one in your camper is faulty.

Maybe just googled average usage is 200 grams per day bigger ones like mine 380 grams per day so it might need a service ?

29 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Yours must be faulty Peter old bean!! I have one in my little motorhome and its fab. Lasts absolutely yonks on a cylinder and keeps even stuff in the little freezer box frozen, easily as good as leccy fridge and its ancient. I had one in my first boat and it was fine too. I would have one over lectric every time if it were an easy swop out. I know you like solar but on a week like this toy wouldnt even get enough lectric to run a dildo.

22 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yours must be faulty Peter old bean!! I have one in my little motorhome and its fab. Lasts absolutely yonks on a cylinder and keeps even stuff in the little freezer box frozen, easily as good as leccy fridge and its ancient. I had one in my first boat and it was fine too. I would have one over lectric every time if it were an easy swop out. I know you like solar but on a week like this toy wouldnt even get enough lectric to run a dildo.

Really Tim my batteries were fully charged yesterday 13.8 volts and then it went into float. I have googled and mine is the 380 grams per day model and its a little bottle which costs two arms and a leg!!

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

maybe a small one?