Kelvin J2 Antifreeze

Featured Posts

Morning All,

Could someone advise which antifreeze to use in my J2, just had the heads fitted and everything put back together, need to sort the fluids now.

Any other tips to keep the engine running sweet.

Thanks

Any standard good quality automotive antifreeze is fine.  I use Morris's.  I get it from Classic oils, along with Morris's SAE 30 engine oil.

If you want to use the long life (pink usually) stuff  then a good flush through with fresh water first is in order.  Sometimes pink reacts with blue to produce a sort of jelly.

N

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

Any standard good quality automotive antifreeze is fine.  I use Morris's.  I get it from Classic oils, along with Morris's SAE 30 engine oil.

If you want to use the long life (pink usually) stuff  then a good flush through with fresh water first is in order.  Sometimes pink reacts with blue to produce a sort of jelly.

N

Do Morris's still do the inhibitor ? Last time I looked I couldn't find it.

The engine itself holds about 4 l.

How much you need depends on your system volume- length of pipes, size of skin tanks etc.  You need between a quarter and a third of the liquid to be antifreeze.  A 33 per cent solution apparently forms the first ice crystals at -19C.   That is close to the UK record low temperature I think. 

I put 5l  into a 25 l drum, topped it up with water and used that.  I still have about 10 l of neat antifreeze in stock, so have not needed to buy any.

After filling from the 25 l drum, there was a bit over that was good for topping up.  I test the coolant annually by getting a sample from the water pump air cock and putting it in the freezer for 24 hours.  If it stays runny, I am happy. I also add a 500 ml thingy of Screwfix corrosion inhibitor every other year.

Morris product:         https://www.classic-oils.net/MobileDetail.php?Prod_ID=135      or for classic oils own   https://www.classic-oils.net/MobileDetail.php?Prod_ID=4573 

N

Edited by BEngo