Aluminium on 4LW iron crankcase

jenevers

Featured Posts

Possibly dire for the ally parts unless you use inhibitor/antifreeze then its dire for the inhibitor. On proper marine engines there is often a pencil anode screwed into the water jacket to help protect against such happenings. However with clean fresh water not half as bad as with salt water. Over to the experts

The old Austin seven engines had a cast iron block with an aluminium crankcase. Also had aluminium bits like the water take off on the head and the water pump. These bits were certainly prone to corrosion, although I’m not sure the role of galvanic corrosion was fully understood.

2 minutes ago, dor said:

The old Austin seven engines had a cast iron block with an aluminium crankcase. Also had aluminium bits like the water take off on the head and the water pump. These bits were certainly prone to corrosion, although I’m not sure the role of galvanic corrosion was fully understood.

and up to almost the present day - BMC automotive aluminium thermostat housings. Well known for being difficult to get off because of corrosion around the studs. Many direct raw water marinisations changed them for cast iron ones

7 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Jaguar cylinder heads, aluminium on a cast steel block.  Often had to put acid down the studs to get the head off.

Astons were similar, I have had them hung with the front wheel off the ground by a spark plug hole while hopefully Plusgas did its thing. Then we got a special cutter that went around the stud and cut the corrosion away.

5 minutes ago, jonesthenuke said:

So in summary, inhibitor in antifreeze is important?

Yes, most definitely. Ask a Renault owner who has not kept up with the antifreeze so the aluminium crankcase dissolve away under the wet liners and dumped all the coolant into the sump.

It's got all the conditions for electyl. corrosion cell. Electrolyte surrounded, touching, dissimilar metals. Unless the gasket forms a insulator barrier. But then there is those studs!

My 2lw water pump perished recently. Collapsed spigot. Classic electr. corr. Thread in  here with images somewhere. 

Edited by mark99