Boat seized and owner left homeless and sleeping in a car.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

I can't see that Tony will have not had something prepared for when his boat got towed off, as he has been more or less angling for CRT to do this in order to further his campaign. At his age, anyway, if he's been made homeless, I presume his local council will have a duty to rehouse him.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't see that Tony will have not had something prepared for when his boat got towed off, as he has been more or less angling for CRT to do this in order to further his campaign. At his age, anyway, if he's been made homeless, I presume his local council will have a duty to rehouse him.

You presume wrongly.

As the old man has made himself intentionally homeless the local authority have no obligation to rehouse him.

On0/11/2020 at 14:48, LadyG said:

TD is banned from this site, I assume 'cos he's called a spade a spade too many tines. 

He's much respected and is on TB,  I don't think he is sleeping in his car, he's never mentioned it, come back Tony Dunkley, 

Lady G,  I would take it you have never been a recipient of his unwarranted verbal abuse because you challenged something he said?

If you had you may think differently.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

On 02/11/2020 at 18:46, peterboat said:

Mrs Biscuits is right to rant its possible that the image could have been of say Google? I just think it's cheating and he should be keelhauled under the 2 nonexistent boats! ?

Surely you mean "flat-bottom hauled"? ???

• Haha 1

On 03/11/2020 at 13:21, Arthur Marshall said:

Do you, I'm not sure about that, if he has 'made himself homeless' they don't have to, I was not aware age or gender csme in to it, but it used to be OK to home families but not single people, not sure it's the same in England.

Edited by LadyG

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

Do you, I'm not sure about that, if he has 'made himself homeless' they don't have to, I was not aware age or gender csme in to it, but it used to be OK to home families but not single people, not sure it's the same in England.

OH who is in charge of Homeless section in a Local Authority says: Whilst there could be an argument that TD made himself homeless by allegedly not complying with CaRT rules so 'legally' they may not be obliged to house him, it's likely they would take into account circumstances, age and health. In addition because of the Covid situation the government brought in a policy to find accommodation for all homeless people in an attempt to keep them off the streets and the public safe.  So it's likely that if TD wanted his local council to find him accommodation they would.

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 3

On one hand it could be argued that as written elsewhere that "tony has been goading CRT into taking his boat for years" and should not be surprised it has now happened. If his battle was about licensing, why expand it to include the BSS scheme which by comparison in a small cost as well as predominantly for the safety occupants and public. Etc.

On the other hand, if the law is that you do not have to have a license and or BSS if you are moored outside of the navigable river channel, then the boat should not be taken. If you expand it to cars, it would be unreasonable for the DVLA to take a car kept off the highway for not having being Taxed, an MOT, or for that matter insurance. Although if registered it does need to be marked as SORNed, which is now a one-off rather than annual requirement. 

However either way, while personally I do not know enough about the details of the legislation to know which is the case, I do very much understand the importance of ensuring that CRT are both operating within the law which is essential for a civil and democratic existence. I also believe it it important that ultimately CRT not only protects safe and lawful use of the canal, and its revenue streams, but that it also promotes canals/rivers/boats and their use in an open and inclusive way, catering for all interests not just the mainstream 'floating holiday cottage narrowboat' by the those the live aboard without moving, smaller and less expensive boats, open boats, day users.

We shall see what comes of it, but I hope that the outcome is correct and fair as well as legal, and that Tony and hound remain in good health mentally and physically.

Daniel

On 03/11/2020 at 13:44, Alan de Enfield said:

From watching these ;baliffs' programmes.

The council has no obligation to rehouse you if you have made yourself homeless - the question would be - "Has he ?"

Living on a boat you are in law homeless anyway. No council ever pushes the question as imagine if they had to suddenly house thousands of people. When I registered to vote again last year I HAD to class myself as homeless and indeed am on the voting register as being homeless. Couldnt even register on line as people with postcodes and property can I had to fill a paper form in and submit it to the local council offices, who were very helpful. I spose peeps with a dreaded residential mooring are classed as having a home.

Edited by mrsmelly

20 minutes ago, DHutch said:

Although if registered it does need to be marked as SORNed, which is now a one-off rather than annual requirement. 

Similarly  a boat can be declared ''off water '' as my boat  is now.

50 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Similarly  a boat can be declared ''off water '' as my boat  is now.

Can it, fair enough. Is that a requirement, or just an option?

Obviously you certainly don't need a waterways licence for being on the hard, nor presumably a private detached lake.

Daniel

30 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Of course many off-line marinas which don't require licences, still require BSS certs.

I dare say some do .

But I did go between expiry of the last BSS in November 2019 and  renewal in May 2020 and nothing bad happened. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

Looking forward to that perk next winter.

The last few years I have  licensed for six months (only 3 months this year due to Covid) and bought a week licensed  outside of that when required. Thinking of the 30  day  explorer license for next year 

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

They could do so, if not directly:

No BSS - no insurance : no insurance - no licence : no licence - no boat

To be a little pedantic, due to Covid my BSS expired and I checked with my insurer who said a BSS is not required for the insurance to be valid.

I expect if the boat caught fire a BSS might help to prove the boat was properly maintained but the absence of one is not itself evidence of poor maintenance.

................Dave

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

They could do so, if not directly:

No BSS - no insurance : no insurance - no licence : no licence - no boat

The more direct route would surely be no BSS = no licence = no boat given that having a BSS is a requirement of gaining a licence. 

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

The last few years I have  licensed for six months (only 3 months this year due to Covid) and bought a week licensed  outside of that when required. Thinking of the 30  day  explorer license for next year 

Think we will licence for 6 months and then have an explorer licence for the remainder of the year.

OK I think I would have been correct if I missed out the insurance step (although I am sure but cannot check that it is so on mine):

no BSS - no licence : no licence - no boat

I'm fairly sure that is now correct! I know the end point is the same - otherwise BSS has no teeth

Edited by Mike Todd