Boat seized and owner left homeless and sleeping in a car.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

24 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can't.  You explicitly placed it in the public domain earlier in the thread, when you waived your copyright.

images.jpg

3 minutes ago, Dyertribe said:

This, from the gentleman in question's reply to the question posed in a thread on Thunderboat forum o heartless one:

"As for the accommodation remaining at my disposal, 'different' is a rather apt way of describing it.  With "Halcyon Daze" gone, all that have left that's immediately available to me apart from my car, is what stands on the land that goes with my mooring, a shed and an old Transit van I use for storage. "

He also makes it clear that he's had offers of accomodation.

13 minutes ago, Jim Riley said:

So you know Steve? He came to my first circus class at Oulderhill school in Rochdale in 1989 or so, hasn't he done well for himself. 3rd in BGT!

Yeah, I used to know quite a few of the Camelot crowd thirty years ago.

King Arthur (Chris Bruce) sadly passed away a couple of years ago.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

i think i've mixed up my floating skips, are you two referring to the one that's a shipping container? Not the pointy, variably-priced one with an outboard, play school windows and shouty lady owner?

Yep.

Photos here.

I prefer it to EELadys unique design ...

• Happy 1

29 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

@doratheexplorer &  @Jim Riley  i've made it a bit more boat related for you, but i did leave the free advertising on the side :D 

Portaboat.jpg

Certainly muddied the waters there @hudds lad. Patent it then claim on all the floating sheds in Londonland. 

48 minutes ago, peterboat said:

What like the fake photo that won? photoshopping at its worst!

As I posted elsewhere it now says this under it 

Lengthsman’s Cottage, Stratford Canal.
Editorial note: As a recognisable location, we would like to acknowledge that the composition of this image has been visibly altered.

• Greenie 1

30 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Editorial note: As a recognisable location, we would like to acknowledge that the composition of this image has been visibly altered.

Am I right in believing it to be Dick's Lane Lock? Comparing with my photo from 2018, it is flipped and a sat dish removed. But were the boats ever there?

44 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

11 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

Am I right in believing it to be Dick's Lane Lock? Comparing with my photo from 2018, it is flipped and a sat dish removed. But were the boats ever there?

I now know why I cancelled my IWA membership on top of them supporting higher license for widebeams that is bunch of cheating crooks

14 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I now know why I cancelled my IWA membership on top of them supporting higher license for widebeams that is bunch of cheating crooks

Doesn't it depend in how you view photography? If it's an art form, then it's surely legit to muck about with it? Otherwise you're just taking a snapshot. Photographers have always touched up, used filters, staged, used bavkdrops,or just faked the whole thing.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Doesn't it depend in how you view photography? If it's an art form, then it's surely legit to muck about with it? Otherwise you're just taking a snapshot. Photographers have always touched up, used filters, staged, used bavkdrops,or just faked the whole thing.

Arthur I get you, but this is a competition and others will have gone far and wide to get the perfik pic, this guy spent a minute on the puter knocking one up! Is that fair? it isnt to me

• Greenie 1

Just now, peterboat said:

Arthur I get you, but this is a competition and others will have gone far and wide to get the perfik pic, this guy spent a minute on the puter knocking one up! Is that fair? it isnt to me

I was assuming that he had at least taken both the photos that form the composite image!

My main objection to it is that it is badly done in post-processing, not the fact it's a composite.

I made the mistake of showing to MrsBiscuit - who used to do photo editing professionally - and she ranted about it for ages.  I've not shown her @Jim Riley's recent creation yet ...

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I was assuming that he had at least taken both the photos that form the composite image!

My main objection to it is that it is badly done in post-processing, not the fact it's a composite.

I made the mistake of showing to MrsBiscuit - who used to do photo editing professionally - and she ranted about it for ages.  I've not shown her @Jim Riley's recent creation yet ...

Mrs Biscuits is right to rant its possible that the image could have been of say Google? I just think it's cheating and he should be keelhauled under the 2 nonexistent boats! ?

Edited by peterboat

49 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

There is a thread where all these points have been discussed  

13 hours ago, peterboat said:

I'd not seen the pic before the link above. I'd agree with you that it's a cheat, but I've always had my doubts about photography being an art form. The assumption is that the camera shows the surface of things, while art tries to show the meaning of them. Often, a photographer will use automation to take a string of snaps and then pick the most artistic - that's chance, not talent. Obviously, many people disagree, including the judges, but it looks more like a crude design for a jigsaw than a prize winner to me.

• Greenie 1

14 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Crikey.  That's pretty bad, what were they thinking?  The whole thing looks artificial.  The extreme filter doesn't help either.  IMO photos like this should have been disqualified, and yet it won?

The Active Waterways one is way too heavy on the filter too.  The overall winner on the HNC is a very nice photo, but it's a shame that the winning photo has no boats in it.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'd not seen the pic before the link above. I'd agree with you that it's a cheat, but I've always had my doubts about photography being an art form. The assumption is that the camera shows the surface of things, while art tries to show the meaning of them. Often, a photographer will use automation to take a string of snaps and then pick the most artistic - that's chance, not talent. Obviously, many people disagree, including the judges, but it looks more like a crude design for a jigsaw than a prize winner to me.

Good photography is an art form IMO.  The more I look at that photoshopped photo, the worse it looks.  The front of the cottage is in shade, but cabin sides of the two boats are in full sun.  The boats were never there, they've just been dropped in and no attempt made to blend them into the scene.  SMH.

• Greenie 1

On 01/11/2020 at 09:11, tree monkey said:

Dad worked at Vauxhall and recounts if a new car was bought by on the workers the line was quietly informed of its build number and all the extras would be either fitted or hidden inside the door cards

I grew up in Solihull. The word there was that when a new Rover was bought by one of the workers, a small ding appeared on every body part, so it had to be sent back through the paint line again.

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, LadyG said:

TD is banned from this site, I assume 'cos he's called a spade a spade too many tines. 

He's much respected and is on TB,  I don't think he is sleeping in his car, he's never mentioned it, come back Tony Dunkley, come back miketheboilerman ,this place is getting a bit boring?

Well no one is forcing you to stay here!

21 hours ago, Dyertribe said:

This, from the gentleman in question's reply to the question posed in a thread on Thunderboat forum o heartless one:

"As for the accommodation remaining at my disposal, 'different' is a rather apt way of describing it.  With "Halcyon Daze" gone, all that have left that's immediately available to me apart from my car, is what stands on the land that goes with my mooring, a shed and an old Transit van I use for storage. "

Ask him about the accommodation he has been living in.

It most certainly isn't a van, a car or a shed.

Doesn't make for a great sob story when people find out where he is living though does it?