putting a boat up on chock can it be done wrong

wildbill

Featured Posts

ok i have had my boat put on hard standing i went today to take sum of the stuff out of her i notest a bulge in the deck between the v birth  the is only two chock one under the stern and one under the bow on the thinnest part of the keel nothing mid ships should a boat not be supported mid sips as well.

I  think that the boat yard has not supported my boat correctly this may have damaged my boat's hull it has developed leeks and rain water has soaked the furnishings the was no leeks before it went on hard standing  except from the wheel house door.

should a 25ft be supported on the keel in more than two pleases or at leas on the deepest part of the keel any advice appreciated 

regardsbill 

8 hours ago, wildbill said:

ok i have had my boat put on hard standing i went today to take sum of the stuff out of her i notest a bulge in the deck between the v birth  the is only two chock one under the stern and one under the bow on the thinnest part of the keel nothing mid ships should a boat not be supported mid sips as well.

I  think that the boat yard has not supported my boat correctly this may have damaged my boat's hull it has developed leeks and rain water has soaked the furnishings the was no leeks before it went on hard standing  except from the wheel house door.

should a 25ft be supported on the keel in more than two pleases or at leas on the deepest part of the keel any advice appreciated 

regardsbill 

Can you provide more details / pictures of the type and shape of boat ?

Assuming it is a GRP cruiser then it should have (ideally) 3 keel blocks (piles of wood) and it should have (up to about 40 foot) 6 (3 each side) adjustable boat stands.  A 25 footer lightweight may well 'get away' with 4 stands (2 x 2)

The keel blocks take 99% of the weight of the boat and the stands are simply to stop the boat falling over and take just enough weight to be held tightly.

If it is just a lightweight, outboard powered cruiser than it may well need less support.

I would have thought that a marina would have had enough experience to lift and chock without damaging the boat.

A 25 footer can be carried on a trailer with just the rollers for support, they don't need that much support

How was it lifted ?

(I once saw a cruiser lifted by a 'big' JCB excavator using a single strop - as the boat lifted it broke it's back and ended up in two halves).

My boat last weekend being chocked-up. (It weighed 12 tonnes on the crane scales)

20201023-114846.jpg

20201023-115155.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

With a fairly long flat bottomed boat, and a relatively thin base plate, a chock too high in the centre can cause stress. People may have noticed how doors do not work properly, when in the dry dock. This can happen when the fit out took place with the boat in the water. 

Edited by Higgs

4 minutes ago, Higgs said:

With a fairly long flat bottomed boat, and a relatively thin base plate, a chock too high in the centre can cause stress. 

The OP says he is only 25 foot long, has a keel and a bow V-Berth so I'm working on the principle its unlikely to be a flat bottomed steel boat.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

The OP says he is only 25 foot long, has a keel and a bow V-Berth so I'm working on the principle its unlikely to be a flat bottomomed steel boat.

Yes, I realise that. It's talking around the topic.