Anderton Lift To Close For A Year

Tim Lewis

Featured Posts

31 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

One big difference is that most mobile phones can host such a call these days. 

Pedant alert.

The phone has got nothing to do with it beyond, er, being a phone. The network (conference call) or platform (Zoom, Teams etc) does the donkey work. That's why I get niggled when the "New iPhone X on 5G" shows a video conference call - it's doing nothing (literally) that my iPhone 6 can't do on 3G

2 hours ago, dor said:

Don't we have to call them "stakeholders" now?

Corporate bullshit that I refused to use when working.  Just the same as I always referred to "customers" not "clients", who where dealt with by "salespeople" not "sales executives"

I fought a rear guard action along the same lines. It was great fun being a relic (especially as results ( performance  , sorry ? ) was the best in the region.

3 minutes ago, 1st ade said:

Pedant alert.

The phone has got nothing to do with it beyond, er, being a phone. The network (conference call) or platform (Zoom, Teams etc) does the donkey work. That's why I get niggled when the "New iPhone X on 5G" shows a video conference call - it's doing nothing (literally) that my iPhone 6 can't do on 3G

Don't know about iPhones as I kicked them into touch years ago. But on Android you can I belive have a pure conference call by adding people to the call. They have to be in your contacts list. No zoom, teams or anything else required.

Just now, tree monkey said:

I have heard though it is perfectly possible to log into an "important" meeting and completely ignore it

Oh, it is (trust me!) but you risk being noticed and "I don't have those figures to hand but I see Ade is present..... Ade....... Ade..... Well, he's obviously having connection difficulties"

A better trick is to join two or even three calls at once keeping enough attention on each to avoid the above or spot suspicious phrases like "outsourcing..."

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

it has given even more opportunity for pointless meeting

On the money there as well - when I was in London I used to have something like 30% meetings - 70% doing the actions from meetings. Now i'm working from home it's nearer the reverse

• Greenie 1

Just now, Slim said:

I fought a rear guard action along the same lines. It was great fun being a relic (especially as results ( performance  , sorry ? ) was the best in the region.

That might have been partially because you weren't too busy playing buzzword bingo!

I used to ask people who got too carried away with corporate speak to explain what they actually meant by some of the most irritating phrases, and they couldn't always do so ...

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

That might have been partially because you weren't too busy playing buzzword bingo!

I used to ask people who got too carried away with corporate speak to explain what they actually meant by some of the most irritating phrases, and they couldn't always do so ...

Did they promise to reach out to you later for a bit of blue sky thinking.

I'm currently on a Teams call so plenty of time to browse CWDF.

33 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Im new to this sort of thing but I've been fairly impressed with teams/zoom as it happens, the big problem with it is it has given even more opportunity for pointless meeting by over zealous management.

I have heard though it is perfectly possible to log into an "important" meeting and completely ignore it ;)

Oh yes, very possible.  All kinds of things are possible.

30 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

I'll put my hands up. When I first heard the term 'drilling down'' I didn't have a clue what people meant. 

1 hour ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

If the Anderton lift is being closed for 1 year...Think I will head over the llangollen aquaduct one last time....Before its closed for a decade!!.:P

As boats can only go one way at once you will probably need to book it online 2 days before

On 28/10/2020 at 09:44, dmr said:

I love the Weaver, we spent half the winter on it a couple of years ago, and it does contain a number of big expensive structures. Anderton lift is a big and iconic part of the waterways and I suspect CRTwould not be brave enough to abandon it.

If it closes for a year half of me things this forum plus NABO etc should organise monthly cruises up the MSC just to keep plenty of boats using the Weaver.

My cynical side fears that CRT would then say "MSC works fine, we don't really need a working Anderton, its only boaters who use it and the visiting cyclists don't care whether it works or not.

................Dave

They just need to restore the locks at Runcorn......

3 minutes ago, StephenA said:

They just need to restore the locks at Runcorn......

Yes, restore the locks rather than building silly boat lifts. Just maybe there could be some "synchronicity" here. If the MSC becomes the only Weaver access for a year just maybe Peel Holdings will make it a bit easier (dream on) and in my 'umble opinion there is little point doing Runcorn till the MSC gets a bit more boater friendly.

................Dave

6 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, restore the locks rather than building silly boat lifts. Just maybe there could be some "synchronicity" here. If the MSC becomes the only Weaver access for a year just maybe Peel Holdings will make it a bit easier (dream on) and in my 'umble opinion there is little point doing Runcorn till the MSC gets a bit more boater friendly.

................Dave

Oh, I dunno.  I'd be in favour of CRT building a Winsford boat lift.  It would be more likely to get used than the Unlock Runcorn proposals.

I'm giggling at the idea that the Manchester Ship Canal would do anything to encourage more leisure boats though. 

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Oh, I dunno.  I'd be in favour of CRT building a Winsford boat lift.  It would be more likely to get used than the Unlock Runcorn proposals.

I'm giggling at the idea that the Manchester Ship Canal would do anything to encourage more leisure boats though. 

That idea has gone very quiet of late, nice idea, but would mean that getting to the Red Lion is no longer an adventure ?.

..................Dave

On 28/10/2020 at 15:36, tree monkey said:

I have heard though it is perfectly possible to log into an "important" meeting and completely ignore it ;)

But do be careful what you get up to while you are ignoring your "important" meeting.

https://metro.co.uk/2020/10/20/journalist-suspended-after-colleagues-saw-him-masturbating-on-zoom-call-13450116/

• Greenie 1

On 27/10/2020 at 21:01, Tim Lewis said:

Just watched an IWA webinar Q & A session with Richard Parry and the CRT North West Region Director when it was confirmed that, subject to funding, the Anderton Boat lift will be shut for refurbishment in 2022 for  a year to 18 months so get your travel plans in to visit the Weaver in 2021!

I guess it would be to much to ask, what is the nature of the ‘refurbishment’?

And who was the elderly gentleman in a ‘hoodie’?

• 11 months later...

I think the important bit of the Webinair is "subject to funding". I don't think they have the funding yet and a complete closure for a year or so is not yet on the cards. In fact they give the operating hours up to next March in the Stoppages section of the C & RT web site

haggis

A month or so ago our lift booking was delayed a couple of hours, due to back log from the sump pump failure episode. Jason the chief honcho came out to apologise, especially as CaRT were unable to update mobile contact no, after telling them 2 times. He said funding in place for stoppage starting end of next season. They have done a drop test on the rams (left cassion up at night) and the seals are holding up, but will need to be replaced soon. This can be done with the rams in situ, but the cassions must be parked up on emergency frames, then disconnected. There is also a lot of corrosion to be attended to, as well as the guillotine seals. He said work will take at least 18 months, assuming nothing else found.

11 hours ago, Neil TNC said:

A month or so ago our lift booking was delayed a couple of hours, due to back log from the sump pump failure episode. Jason the chief honcho came out to apologise, especially as CaRT were unable to update mobile contact no, after telling them 2 times. He said funding in place for stoppage starting end of next season. They have done a drop test on the rams (left cassion up at night) and the seals are holding up, but will need to be replaced soon. This can be done with the rams in situ, but the cassions must be parked up on emergency frames, then disconnected. There is also a lot of corrosion to be attended to, as well as the guillotine seals. He said work will take at least 18 months, assuming nothing else found.

This means next year is a must for the weaver (and a possible blacking window at Northwich) 

They have done a drop test on the rams (left cassion up at night) and the seals are holding up, but will need to be replaced soon. This can be done with the rams in situ, but the cassions must be parked up on emergency frames, then disconnected. There is also a lot of corrosion to be attended to, as well as the guillotine seals. He said work will take at least 18 months, assuming nothing else found.

If Canal & River Trust had the ability and perhaps knowledge, to explain the the problem which exists with this installation the 18 month shutdown would be acceptable or perhaps justifiable.

The narrative above does this in few words, communicating the difficulty of maintaining the structure; supporting the many stoppages with a form of justification would make the delays tolerable?