Back cabin paraffin lamp

Jrtm

Featured Posts

I'm in the middle of going threw my stock of boat bits ive built up over the years and after a good going threw and realising I have bould a lot of rare but not needed parts im going to start getting rid of some of it, some im keeping but have lent to people, but I have 4 back cabin paraffin lamps.

1 is pretty rubbish It didn't cost much as it still had price on but I think was an attempt by someone to make one and apart from the globe and chimney has been binned it wasn't worth anyones time.

2 I have are the same i bought them years ago from someone who was rebuilding a motor and butty and putting conversions on and wasn't keeping much and 1 of these is going into my motor Towy. I was going to keep it to put in a butty if I bought one but thats not happening for a while now so will sell

And the last one is one im going to sell.

Im in the middle of cleaning them up as covered in dust and not been cleaned in years.

there complete except for the smoke bells (these were glass ones not brass for the matching pair and im keeping them) and other one i dont think I had one for it. Anyways they hold paraffin and work have solid brass sconce on them and locate into the sconce, have glass globe and chimney.

Any idea what there roughly worth? I'll post a pic tomorrow, once got an idea of price I'll list on here in the for sale before I ebay them.

38 minutes ago, nbfiresprite said:

New ones  cost between £79 and £150 depending which model  and where they are made.

Not really found any new ones, except my very cheap poor quality one but that still wasn't new.

Mine are old duplex ones but not sure how old,

9 hours ago, billybobbooth said:

Not really found any new ones, except my very cheap poor quality one but that still wasn't new.

Mine are old duplex ones but not sure how old,

Well that is a start, but that only describes the burner, of which there are a number of versions (and values). However, without a couple of photos it is almost impossible to give any suggestions about what they are worth. The unfortunate thing is that old oil lamps are not worth very much at the moment, unless they are rare and collectable, which most aren't. Ironically, the glassware often sells more eaily than the complete lamp.  I am currently planning to sell a few more of my lamps, which are old and quite pretty, but I don't expect to get much for them. The problem is, not only the fact that they are not fashionable at the moment, but also the high cost of carriage, as they need carefull packing to avoid transit damage.

Post some photos, and I will try to assist.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

My mate owns Base-Camp, a company who can provide spares for old oil lamps or even refurbish them.

https://www.base-camp.co.uk/

A good company who I have used several times for "hard to find" spares

50 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Well that is a start, but that only describes the burner, of which there are a number of versions (and values). However, without a couple of photos it is almost impossible to give any suggestions about what they are worth. The unfortunate thing is that old oil lamps are not worth very much at the moment, unless they are rare and collectable, which most aren't. Ironically, the glassware often sells more eaily than the complete lamp.  I am currently planning to sell a few more of my lamps, which are old and quite pretty, but I don't expect to get much for them. The problem is, not only the fact that they are not fashionable at the moment, but also the high cost of carriage, as they need carefull packing to avoid transit damage.

Post some photos, and I will try to assist.

I'll up load photos later today once Home from work as I only finished giving them a quick clean, and the glass is all stoored in a hard box in loft to stop brakeage

The one with clear glass is the one I'm keeping for towy as its modded to be electric and paraffin, I've mixed them around a little due to my preference, but the 2 bodies that match with white globes and the griffins are the 2 I got together the 3rd is a modern bodie but has an old globe. I've then had to resolder and mod the base as they use to be very loose and wobble so I removed the wobble but they all just slot in and out as should

The swing arms are very solid brass, the white globes are very delicate there is a name on the chimneys but there very faint and again very thin glass.

I have no idea of age the one I'm keeping as said is more modern and in flesh you can see this but its still good quality unlike some, the others are a more basic design but are older.

I don't think there early ones but there not modern 2000 ones prob more like 70s?

20201027_183210.jpg

20201027_183154.jpg

20201027_183142.jpg

20201027_183501.jpg

20201027_183127.jpg

20201027_183114.jpg

20201027_183026.jpg

20201027_183748.jpg

Thanks for posting the photos. All three appear to have started life as a more conventional table lamp, and as you have already assumed, none of them have any great age, the single one, that you plan to keep, is an older style more like a Veritas from between 1940 and 1960. The other two look as they are from 1960's onwards, possiby Christopher Wray repros, the burners are all post war, but appear to be decent quality and are not greenhouse heater burners that are often seen on lamps these days. The globe carriers are a less dignified modern design, but are ideal for use on a boat as they hold the globe more securely than the earlier flatter style. All three globes are comparatively modern, one give away is the size of the top opening which got increasingly bigger as the years progressed;  similar ones are still available today. The sconce arms are all attractive, but difficult to date from the photos as they are all a traditional design., although the straight one looks as  if it might have actually spent some time on a piano. The two paraffin powered lamps have the correct Duplex oval chimneys, and white printing suggest that they could be quite old, the most commonly found brand is (ironically) Griffin. The lamp you are retaining has the round type of chimney is not correct for the burner, but is often found on electrified lamps which is fine if it is being concealed by a globe, but do not use it with a paraffin burner, it may not be annealed glass and could crack in use, also the lamp will not burn cleanly with it. 

Value is difficult to predict, they are all saleable, the market for cabin lamps is small, but they do not come up that often. Selling through ebay, I would expect them to achieve something between £30 and £50 each which, unfortunately, is far less than they would have got, say, ten years ago.  I hope my ramblings are usefull.

Thanks for the info.

I was looking around 50-60 a lamp.

The one I'm keeping i do have a paraffin burner duplex again with matching oval glass but it will be one of the very few items I use that won't be paraffin day to day as ive learnt its a faf in back cabin trying to find way in dark then lite the lamp then find its empty ect, so as said this has already been electrified but has the electrics coming out threw the filler and down the Griffin in yellow gold wire to hide it a bit more. It then has a led bulb in.

The other 2 as can see a still paraffin.

As say price i know a few years back they went for silly money same as everything ive got i just sit and wait till item comes up at reasonable price, that way if I sell on i just get my money back and someone gets a good item at good price, + if prices are too high they become too wanted by there's

Thanks for info though good to know there are knowledgeable people about.

James

44 minutes ago, billybobbooth said:

Just looked at chimneys 1 has a Welsh style draggon on the other says fire pro with an a anchor on.

The one I'm keeping is unmarked

Yes, First one is a Griffin brand, the second one (surprise, surprise) is an Anchor brand, The fire pro is an incomplete "Fire Proof" print, both of those are worth a more a few pounds than an unmarked one, but won't work any better, I have quite a few duplex chimneys, but the best one has Hinks pressed into the glass, that is seriously rare, and old.

Edited by David Schweizer