Lighting problems

Steph H

Featured Posts

When I bought my boat it had strip lighting throughout which wasn't the nicest, nor was it LED, so I thought I would go through and change them all.  I found these

https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/md-29-mini-puck-downlight-surface-recessed.html#description

Which seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I bought them, installed them and now they don't work. The boat lights are controlled in sections by switches placed throughout and as I went through the boat changing the lights they worked fine, however a few days later when I went to use them they came on and then went off straight away. There was no pop, no tripping of any fuse switch, there is still power going through the circuit, but the lights now won't work. 

When I wired them up I didn't use a driver as they were such a low voltage, my brother and I figured they would work fine from the 12v system and so wired them straight in. However we are now wondering if the 12volts was still too much for them.

Can anyone provide any suggestions? Or ideas? We've both searched through the website and pdf documents that came with the lights but there doesn't seem to be anything to tell us what the maximum voltage should be going into them.

10 minutes ago, Steph H said:

When I bought my boat it had strip lighting throughout which wasn't the nicest, nor was it LED, so I thought I would go through and change them all.  I found these

https://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/md-29-mini-puck-downlight-surface-recessed.html#description

Which seemed to fit the bill perfectly. I bought them, installed them and now they don't work. The boat lights are controlled in sections by switches placed throughout and as I went through the boat changing the lights they worked fine, however a few days later when I went to use them they came on and then went off straight away. There was no pop, no tripping of any fuse switch, there is still power going through the circuit, but the lights now won't work. 

When I wired them up I didn't use a driver as they were such a low voltage, my brother and I figured they would work fine from the 12v system and so wired them straight in. However we are now wondering if the 12volts was still too much for them.

Can anyone provide any suggestions? Or ideas? We've both searched through the website and pdf documents that came with the lights but there doesn't seem to be anything to tell us what the maximum voltage should be going into them.

The data sheet says 3.2V so yes, 12V is too much if that is true. I fear they may be burned out. They list drivers but they are for mains voltage. You may find that you can get 12V LED bulbs and adaptors (if needed) for them.

I suspect they were fine with 12V from the batteries, but have gone pop when exposed to 14.4V or so with the alternator charging. Its known problem with cheap LEDs. The better ones are usually rated at something like 12-30 Volts.

The drivers on that site all look to be for use on 230V mains supply. You need  a 12V to 12V stabilised power supply. I don't have a reference to hand but someone here probably has.

Edited to add:

Just seen Tony's post. Yes at 3.2V it's a wonder that ever worked. You could wire 3 or 4 in series for 12V use. Or better, replace them.

Edited by David Mack

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

I suspect they were fine with 12V from the batteries, but have gone pop when exposed to 14.4V or so with the alternator charging. Its known problem with cheap LEDs. The better ones are usually rated at something like 12-30 Volts.

The drivers on that site all look to be for use on 230V mains supply. You need  a 12V to 12V stabilised power supply. I don't have a reference to hand but someone here probably has.

So why do the specs say 3.2V? I would suggest they are designed to be mains powered via a 3.2V driver.

I just wish punters (not you)  would study the  small print before purchase, not that thge likes of Ebay, Amazon and other online sellers make it easy. All too often important details are withheld.

Just now, OldGoat said:

Oh dear  - a new solution is needed - kerching...

Yeh, hopefully just 12V LEDs and adaptors.

These look like LED's with no current control circuitry. The 3.2V suggests as much. Without something to limit the current, like either a resistor, or better, a constant current driver, then they will get burnt out. As others have said, Bedazzled are good for LED lights suitable for boats.

Jen

Thank you all for your replies. Just been looking on Bedazzled and found these

https://bedazzledledlighting.co.uk/product/cab6-satin-chrome/

So speaking as someone who is clearly a thicko when it comes to these things, will I be able to wire these straight in? 

5 minutes ago, Steph H said:

So speaking as someone who is clearly a thicko when it comes to these things, will I be able to wire these straight in? 

Yes - 10 to 30 volts so OK.

2 minutes ago, Steph H said:

These will work fine. They have all the current control and protection circuitry built in. Don't be hard on yourself. LED's are still a relatively new technology for lighting and they aren't intuitive when you first come across them. You can treat the ones you are looking at the same as any other light. Connect to the boat 12V via the light switch. They can even be connected either way round with no ill effects.

Jen

Yes, Bedazzled stuff is good and just right for boats, in fact I think Bedazzled are boaters, wire them up and they work, don't flicker, don't mess up the radio etc etc.

................Dave

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

These will work fine. They have all the current control and protection circuitry built in. Don't be hard on yourself. LED's are still a relatively new technology for lighting and they aren't intuitive when you first come across them. You can treat the ones you are looking at the same as any other light. Connect to the boat 12V via the light switch. They can even be connected either way round with no ill effects.

Jen

Which is dead convenient but does imply two diode volt drops inside of them so wasting 10% of the available power/voltage?????

(its winter so started to worry about power consumption ?)

...............Dave

16 minutes ago, Steph H said:

Cool white is bluey cold and gives me the shivers in the winter. Warm white is nicererererer.  Note!!! in Bedazzleds add, Warm white or cool white LED'S

Edited by bizzard

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, Bedazzled stuff is good and just right for boats, in fact I think Bedazzled are boaters, wire them up and they work, don't flicker, don't mess up the radio etc etc.

................Dave

They do have a slight tendency to mess up DAB radio signals.

ETA but in all other respects they are indeed excellent.

Edited by Keeping Up

51 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

They do have a slight tendency to mess up DAB radio signals.

ETA but in all other respects they are indeed excellent.

Some of the early LEDs that we got were terrible, the Bedazzled ones are good but do give a bit of FM radio trouble when the signal is very weak. With the old ones I had some success putting little capacitors right next the light fittings.

..................Dave

• 1 month later...

Not having to purchase "special" LED spots I plan to put one of these Voltage stabilisers in front of the junction box for each area of lights. That should provide a stable 12V and will give me a much bigger range of choice when deciding on which LEDs to purchase.  https://www.wish.com/product/5e16e12801ba6c0e4e156a14?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5e16e12801ba6c0e4e156a14&ad_cc=GB&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=10.00&campaign_id=6493229882&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAiAq8f-BRBtEiwAGr3Dga23dIt6xxD0vWhdxVm3-4yBzpyZk5yfVxtO5Y4O5K0_7kEk4ajdEBoC9DEQAvD_BwE&share=web

6 minutes ago, The swede said:

Not having to purchase "special" LED spots I plan to put one of these Voltage stabilisers in front of the junction box for each area of lights. That should provide a stable 12V and will give me a much bigger range of choice when deciding on which LEDs to purchase.  https://www.wish.com/product/5e16e12801ba6c0e4e156a14?hide_login_modal=true&from_ad=goog_shopping&_display_country_code=GB&_force_currency_code=GBP&pid=googleadwords_int&c={campaignId}&ad_cid=5e16e12801ba6c0e4e156a14&ad_cc=GB&ad_curr=GBP&ad_price=10.00&campaign_id=6493229882&exclude_install=true&gclid=CjwKCAiAq8f-BRBtEiwAGr3Dga23dIt6xxD0vWhdxVm3-4yBzpyZk5yfVxtO5Y4O5K0_7kEk4ajdEBoC9DEQAvD_BwE&share=web

I note they do not give an efficiency or the current it uses to operate itself.It may be marginal or may not be. As electricity is a scarce commodity on most boats it may be worth checking in case using the "marine" LEDs consume less overall. Its less likely to be an issue when running i with loads of lights but with just one  it may consume more than another light or so.

1 hour ago, The swede said:

You did notice the shipping costs, the is another below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07WP5KDR5?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share&fbclid=IwAR23B_ppv6fE2_w5222jVUAaUJ6J71dma5HnAxVpBpXegEicNWDd7IokVYo

Edited by ditchcrawler