Fuel in Bilge

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Its almost certainly that, especially if its self bleeding and has an electric fuel pump, unless its  a low level fuel pipe or filter leaking.

A lot of people don't realise just how much diesel is pumped through the leak off / bleed line, mine maintains the day tank for the diesel stove

23 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

A lot of people don't realise just how much diesel is pumped through the leak off / bleed line, mine maintains the day tank for the diesel stove

A while ago we had a fuel problem so I ran the engine from a 10 litre Jerrycan.  We only needed to move the boat a short distance from a boatyard to a visitor mooring so I left the return line connected to the main fuel tank.  In less than an hour we had emptied the 10 litre Jerry can.

.................Dave 

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

1 hour ago, dmr said:

A while ago we had a fuel problem so I ran the engine from a 10 litre Jerrycan.  We only needed to move the boat a short distance from a boatyard to a visitor mooring so I left the return line connected to the main fuel tank.  In less than an hour we had emptied the 10 litre Jerry can.

.................Dave 

But in both cases it was not just an injector leak off pipe. On many trad engines the leak off pipe used to empty into a old tin hung on the end of the pipe and I have a feeling the BSS still allows that. Both the quoted cases have to be on engines that bleeds fuel from the filter or injector pump as well (as does the OPs as long as its not a low level pipe or filter leaking). Even the BMCs with just a 0.5mm filter vent hole return a fair amount of fuel back to the tank over a day.

I am trying to make it clear that there is more to this than just an injector leak off pipe.

Edited by Tony Brooks

25 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

But in both cases it was not just an injector leak off pipe. On many trad engines the leak off pipe used to empty into a old tin hung on the end of the pipe and I have a feeling the BSS still allows that. Both the quoted cases have to be on engines that bleeds fuel from the filter or injector pump as well (as does the OPs as long as its not a low level pipe or filter leaking). Even the BMCs with just a 0.5mm filter vent hole return a fair amount of fuel back to the tank over a day.

I am trying to make it clear that there is more to this than just an injector leak off pipe.

To go a bit off topic, I have been having an air issue on my Beta JD3 which I concluded was dissolved air in the fuel getting "sucked out" by the lift pump. I decided to make an "air bleed" from the top of the filter similar to the BMC thing that you describe (thank you for this idea). I purchased a set of orifice jets (for a 3D printer) and experimented and was surprised at just how much fuel squirts out of a 1mm orifice. I tried 0.3 and 0.5mm but they did not shift the air (don't fully understand this). 0.8mm is working well.

...................Dave