Stove or not to stove?

James Dunleavy

Featured Posts

No matter where fitted I doubt you would regret fitting a stove.  Solid fuel or oil fired it will be the best way to heat the boat either on its own or with a back boiler to add radiators.

The choice of SF or Oil fired is a personal one depending what you think of storing coal and clearing ash.

14 hours ago, Mike Tee said:

Then you are doing something wrong.

The overriding benefit of a diesel stove is that when you want it off, it goes off in a couple of minutes. When you want it on, same thing, on in a couple of minutes. It needs cleaning at most once every two or three weeks.

It must burn with a blue flame to prevent build up of solids - if it is not blue, your settings are wrong.

Provided I clean the pan thoroughly before relighting I have a lovely blue flame. If I don't it either takes several attempts to light or will burn yellow. I do light with a small cube of fire lighter, about the size of my little finger nail, so it may be the residue of that which causes the problem.

On 26/10/2020 at 13:28, James Dunleavy said:

Thanks Rob. Do you find its heat output to be easily managed? My worry is it wouldn't be used unless it's VERY cold. This new boat has foam sprayed insulation and even though the boat builder has a vested interest in installing a stove he's saying we shouldn't - however, the Mrs wants one! Who do I listen to????

Why your 'Mrs' of course, absolutely NO contest! 

2 hours ago, WhiteSuit said:

Provided I clean the pan thoroughly before relighting I have a lovely blue flame. If I don't it either takes several attempts to light or will burn yellow. I do light with a small cube of fire lighter, about the size of my little finger nail, so it may be the residue of that which causes the problem.

That is exactly how I used to light ours - however, if it won't subsequently light without cleaning, then I suspect your fire needs re-calibrating. They are designed to be easily re-lit  (after time to cool down) and yours is not acting as designed. Talk to Harworth Heating, they are the experts.

With any forced air or pumped central heating Webasto or Ebber Splutter etc they use a fair bit of electricity 3 amps or so running and more to start up. this has to be generated and in winter solar won't provide enough for all your needs even if all your roof is covered in solar panels. Adding an extra 10% or more to power the heating is going to cost more to recharge the batteries.

On 30/10/2020 at 20:28, ditchcrawler said:

Last trip we were putting ours off when we went to bed and on again after lunch the next day, some days it was off about 9pm

I'm sitting in  tropical heat just now (weather mild but strong wind), the fire is glowing medium hot, due to chimney creating draught, stove vents all closed, I have plenty of cabin ventilation, temp in saloon well over 70 C. It's a regular problem this year.

I have Webastobut tend to use it when the solar is stuffing the angry e's into the batteries, anyway, diesel is a scarce resource hereabouts.

Edited by LadyG

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

temp in saloon well over 70 C. It's a regular problem this year.

That seems remarkably, uncomfortably high, I was doing a test to see how hot our stove would get the boat and once I got to 55 degrees C I couldn't breathe so had to shut it down and open the doors and windows.

How can you survive in 70C ?

Death Valley is in the northern Mojave Desert and holds the highest recorded temperature of 56.7C. The air temperature of the aptly named Furnace Creek in Death Valley reaches a staggering average daily high of 46C - making Death Valley the hottest place on Earth.. Except when LadyG has her stove on