Water cooled Alternator

Featured Posts

I think I will go with a lower powered 2nd alternator on the poly belt. I think the limited domestic battery bank (200Ah) will not charge at a very high rate unless I turn up the charge voltage. So with a 90A main alternator that cuts in around 900rpm and a 40A second alternator giving out near its maximum at tick over I think it might work. That means the load on the polyvee belt will be only about 600w and not upset the engine or put too much load on the crankshaft pulley. I might have to make up a spring loaded idler/tensioner to get enough wrap. Need to do some machining tonight to make the alternator pulley.

Thanks for very helpful comments.

16 minutes ago, Mike Adams said:

I think I will go with a lower powered 2nd alternator on the poly belt. I think the limited domestic battery bank (200Ah) will not charge at a very high rate unless I turn up the charge voltage. So with a 90A main alternator that cuts in around 900rpm and a 40A second alternator giving out near its maximum at tick over I think it might work. That means the load on the polyvee belt will be only about 600w and not upset the engine or put too much load on the crankshaft pulley. I might have to make up a spring loaded idler/tensioner to get enough wrap. Need to do some machining tonight to make the alternator pulley.

Thanks for very helpful comments.

I hope your battery bank is LiFePO4, a 200Ah lead-acid bank will be not be happy charging at 2/3C...

Be very careful with a spring loaded idler/tensioner, there's a risk that if you suddenly slam the throttle shut or get something round the prop the alternator inertia puts the belt tension the wrong way (high on the idler side), the tensioner pulls back and the belt comes off. Normally tensioning is just done by moving the alternator, like with no idler.

Also those alternators are not very high current or load, you might not need a polyvee at all (but if you've got one it's safer and longer-lasting, if harder to find an off-the-shelf replacement)

Edited by IanD