Thinking about first NB. any thoughts on this ?

Norm55

Featured Posts

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2020 at 23:32, NB DW said:

The boat's been up for sale for a good while now.  I hope you worked that into the deal - especially as boats haven't exactly been hanging around recently.  I sold mine in the summer and haven't kept tabs on things much since, so maybe the market's cooled off. 

I've seen the boat in person too, I think it was actually made in Poland, and holds some sort of relation with Amber Boats.  And I did my diligence on the seller too.  I've no dog in the fight here but I'd encourage you to at least perhaps see what this forum throws up.  It was an interesting read and might help you make a more informed decision with your money may or may not be deposited.

Lastly, I came close to buying a replacement boat in the summer and spoke with Steve Hand.  He was hugely helpful and was well recommended on here too.  From memory the cost of a survey was £100 per foot.  Nantwich Canal Centre is supposed to be held in decent regard if you're looking for quotes on further work.  Or try Midway Boats just up the road.

Just read through this post and have followed advice.  My search of vendor on here has thrown up some interesting comments.  my deposit has been lodged in brokers client account according to SH.   No receipt just e mail confirming receipt of funds, however said account was not listed as a client account.  

I think lodging funds with a solicitor should be common practice,  it is a large purchase, we are throwing money at an unregulated industry it appears. 

Edited by Norm55
Spelling

2 hours ago, Norm55 said:

I think lodging funds with a solicitor should be common practice,  it is a large purchase, we are throwing money at an unregulated industry it appears. 

Yes you are, but why should you throw several £100's at a Solicitor, he will charge £150 for a letter to send the notice to the broker he is holding your money, a fee for holding it, and another £150 to send you a letter saying he has transferred the money to the broker.

Solictors are bigger 'bandits' than boat brokers.

• Greenie 1

On 14/12/2020 at 23:32, NB DW said:

The boat's been up for sale for a good while now.  I hope you worked that into the deal - especially as boats haven't exactly been hanging around recently.  I sold mine in the summer and haven't kept tabs on things much since, so maybe the market's cooled off. 

I've seen the boat in person too, I think it was actually made in Poland, and holds some sort of relation with Amber Boats.  And I did my diligence on the seller too.  I've no dog in the fight here but I'd encourage you to at least perhaps see what this forum throws up.  It was an interesting read and might help you make a more informed decision with your money may or may not be deposited.

Lastly, I came close to buying a replacement boat in the summer and spoke with Steve Hand.  He was hugely helpful and was well recommended on here too.  From memory the cost of a survey was £100 per foot.  Nantwich Canal Centre is supposed to be held in decent regard if you're looking for quotes on further work.  Or try Midway Boats just up the road.

Do be sure its not a Moroccan hull, there are reported to be severe problems with some. Like lousy steel work covered in filler to hide it. 

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Do be sure its not a Moroccan hull, there are reported to be severe problems with some. Like lousy steel work covered in filler to hide it. 

Thanks, have been told it is a Narrowcraft hull, made in Gdansk.   Also told that for a 12 year old boat i shouldn't have too much to worry about.....but i will worry anyhow....

Just now, Norm55 said:

Thanks, have been told it is a Narrowcraft hull, made in Gdansk.   Also told that for a 12 year old boat i shouldn't have too much to worry about.....but i will worry anyhow....

That's OK then, it will be well Polished. Narrowcraft seem to produce a fair boat.

(very first post) - thank you folks, the contributions to this story are a textbook example of the perils, joys and literal pooh traps (potti or cassette) of buying a boat and probably only just scratch the surface.  We are looking, slowly, we had a RYA course booked for Sun/Mon that had to be cancelled owing to C-19 (we are in Tier 4).  We have a holiday in March for a couple of weeks which will be a good time to test whether we like NB or not or could live on one or not (most weekends/holidays as and when).  We are relocating to the North Staffs/Cheshire border in the spring so will be watching this site closely.  Thank you for sharing your expertise, I have picked out many points from this thread alone and still couldnt fill a postage stamp (yet)!

37 minutes ago, Lewie008 said:

(very first post) - thank you folks, the contributions to this story are a textbook example of the perils, joys and literal pooh traps (potti or cassette) of buying a boat and probably only just scratch the surface.  We are looking, slowly, we had a RYA course booked for Sun/Mon that had to be cancelled owing to C-19 (we are in Tier 4).  We have a holiday in March for a couple of weeks which will be a good time to test whether we like NB or not or could live on one or not (most weekends/holidays as and when).  We are relocating to the North Staffs/Cheshire border in the spring so will be watching this site closely.  Thank you for sharing your expertise, I have picked out many points from this thread alone and still couldnt fill a postage stamp (yet)!

Welcome to the forum, Lewie, and thanks for your kind words. Stay tuned.

• 2 weeks later...

Survey yesterday and hull etc all good. However inverter and webasto not working but broker has agreed to fix / replace.  Main worry is bulge on 1 internal wall.   Surveyor thought timber vertical rail, poss held in with sprayfoam had come loose bringing int vertical batten and MDF panel with it. This bulge is only around 20mm . You can see the deflection as you look down length of boat.   Should i be worried? A deal breaker or something to negotiate price down?  

• Horror 1

Just to confirm, they are not bulging through damp swelling, just where 2 panels meet vertically the fixing has come off the hull behind causing a deflection in section of wall . The panels are in excellent condition 

3 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Just to confirm, they are not bulging through damp swelling, just where 2 panels meet vertically the fixing has come off the hull behind causing a deflection in section of wall . The panels are in excellent condition 

Can they be pushed freely back into place, or is there a dent in the cabinside behind them? (may have been filled and repainted so not obvious from outside)

Edited by TheBiscuits

36 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Survey yesterday and hull etc all good. However inverter and webasto not working but broker has agreed to fix / replace.  

These together usually mean the battery bank is knackered, or needs a damn good charge.

2 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

No corresponding bump outside so doubt impact damage. Yes they can be pushed back. 

Then it's ten minutes work with a cartridge of adhesive to fix it - but could take a day each to get to it and then to make good depending on how much else needs removing for access!

4 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

No corresponding bump outside so doubt impact damage. Yes they can be pushed back. 

The panel could have distorted due to an old water leak perhaps now fixed,but the panel could have warped as it dried out.

17 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Depends on the MDF used.

Tell that to B&Q, I bought mdf cupboard doors, advertised as easy clean (marketing expression for 'shows up every dirty fingermark'), The door (shaker style), under the sink has swollen due to water ingress, so they are not suitable mdf for kitchens, and one should never allow water anywhere near them. I remember trying to paint an mdf bath panel, the brush went right through it. It's blotting paper.

Edited by LadyG

1 minute ago, LadyG said:

Tell that to B&Q, I bought mdf cupboard doors, advertised as easy clean (marketing expression for 'shows up dirty fingermarks'), The door (shaker style), under the sink has swollen due to water ingress, so they are not suitable mdf for kitchens,and one should never allow water anywhere near them. I remember trying to paint an mdf bath panel, the brush went right through it.

i once spent an hour in B&Q one Sunday morning trying to find four straight pieces of picture rail, after pulling the entire rack out and even splitting a few multipacks i gave up as i could only find two :( they sell some right rubbish as timber

I have to add that the survey, carried out by Rick Tropman was very thorough with over 20 pages of facts rather than a dozen pages of  caveats and waffle like many have seen.

Happy to reccomend him, very professional. 

• Greenie 1

• 4 months later...

Not realised it had been so long since posted on here, lockdown, lost password and other matters had kept me away from here.

Firstly thanks to all who advised me on this, a stressful journey.  Sleepless nights what have i done / bought, questions about brokers reputation, late paperwork.  At several points i wish had not started this quest.   Have bought property abroad and it was less stressful ! 

All finally completed in March due to delay in getting work done by marina from survey.   Then, Not being a liveaboard i could not move boat until a month ago.

Now at Overwater marina and........we love it!!!!!   25 hours cruising, few scrapes, we dread returning to marina as accurately mooring it needs bit more practice but from what have read on here this normal.

Thanks again for all advice 

• Greenie 1

20 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

we dread returning to marina as accurately mooring it needs bit more practice but from what have read on here this normal.

hahaha, pop down to Dunchurch and give it a go, i so miss Overwater, it was a doddle compared to where we are now. Never get a mooring at a marina on the side of a hill in open countryside. I only gently bumped the boat nextdoor as i got back in to the berth, but it was enough to wake him up, felt bad about it until i discovered he was from Leeds. :D