Thinking about first NB. any thoughts on this ?

Norm55

Featured Posts

On 29/10/2020 at 23:19, blackrose said:

No. The main function of thermal insulation is to reduce thermal losses or heat transfer. Some types of insulation will also prevent condensation while others like rockwool won't and require an additional vapour barrier which is not part of the insulation. Anyway, preventing condensation is definitely not the whole point of insulation.

I disagree.  The thermal function is a by-product of the condensation control.  This is bourne out by the number of boats who, when their stove is on, have their windows and doors open.  Keeping a narrowboat sufficiently warm isn't difficult, and would still be quite manageable with no insulation.  Preventing horrendous condensation is a different matter.  Hence, insulation.

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Snooze and you lose.

If you are currently looking to buy a boat you need to go and look at it and get your deposit down the day (or sooner) it comes up for sale.

You need to register your interest with every broker you can find and get them to give you a call before they even clean it and list it.

Any boat in 'fair' & upwards condition at a reasonable price will sell within a couple or three days.

This is what I did six and a half years ago. It is even more important these days.

I was the first to view my boat. It was never listed and I had to ask them to produce a brochure just so that I could show family and friends what I was buying.

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I was the first to view my boat. It was never listed and I had to ask them to produce a brochure just so that I could show family and friends what I was buying.

In case they thought you'd gone and bought a ruddy great sternwheel steamer?

8 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Lol,

You have heard my horn havent you?

Yes, and I have heard it playing in real life, when we took a Mississippi river trip during our honeymoon in New Orleans.

• 1 month later...

Normal on any boat not looked after for a while especially with a cruiser stern. Not a deal breaker for me, just pump it out.

Good negotiating point for a price reduction and a pointer to other possible lack of care/maintenance.  Does it show a leaky engine or gearbox?

4 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

https://ashboats.co.uk/product/nautilus/

Thanks for reply. Have moved onto this one and am liking it.   Any thoughts and what sort of offer should i make ?  Is 10% off too cheeky ? 

No loss in trying.

Looks a nice well presented boat, I'd have said the price is a little high, but the way things have been going this last couple of years, it may well be competitively priced.

Ok, so next thing is survey.  They have kindly reccomended one and given me his details, but being the cynical person i am, I feel should get my own.  Any reccomendations for good surveyor?   Boat is in Nantwhich, Cheshire.   I was also asked if it was hull or full survey i wanted, any thoughts ? 

Thanks again in advance. 

12 minutes ago, Norm55 said:

Ok, so next thing is survey.  They have kindly reccomended one and given me his details, but being the cynical person i am, I feel should get my own.  Any reccomendations for good surveyor?   Boat is in Nantwhich, Cheshire.   I was also asked if it was hull or full survey i wanted, any thoughts ? 

Thanks again in advance. 

You have just saved 10%, easily enough to cover a full survey, blacking (while it's out of the water) and a new set of batteries.  Spend whatever is left on diesel and enjoy your travels....

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Norm55 said:

Yep ?   subject to survey of course. A cheeky offer did it !    Thanks for all advice offered. I will keep you all posted as the story develops 

I've just had a look at its web page. It looks an attractive and well-fitted boat and it's a sensible size for one or two people. It also appears to have been used very little so it should be in excellent condition.

Narrowcraft is presumably Malcolm Burge's company at Alvecote. They're well known as brokers, but do they still build boats too?

Edited by Athy

If you feel confident to check all the systems, engine, gearbox, stern gland, electrics, plumbing, woodwork, bilges, cabin under floor  et al. then a hull survey only but a full survey won't cost much more.

The more you survey, the more likely you will find something amiss and be able to get another price reduction against it.

Good luck and happy cruising.

T'D

Edited by Tracy D'arth
added more text

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

Any reccomendations for good surveyor?   Boat is in Nantwhich, Cheshire

Ricky Tropman just surveyed my boat in Ashton for insurance reasons. He's based in Chesterfield, but might be worth a call? I can thoroughly recommend him — cheerful, friendly, full of good advice, and the written report arrived by email the next day.

Hull survey or full survey: are you a handy and practical sort of person? If you're confident in doing a thorough inspection of the internals and machinery yourself, then I'd go for doing that as you'll learn an awful lot about the boat and its systems in checking them. If not, if you get a full survey you'll know where you're starting from and what things should appear first on your ongoing maintenance list.

1 hour ago, Norm55 said:

Thanks again in advance. 

What is your definition of a "Full Survey" and is it the same as your Surveyors ?

Many moons ago I had a 'Full Survey + machinery' (which meant the engine and gearbox were assessed, oil sent away & checked etc etc). It was well over £1000 (a long time ago) and having bought the boat because of an "A1" condition report I still had to spend £20k on it to make it safe and usable on things the 'full survey + extras' had missed. No legal comeback against the surveyor.

Edit for spooling errurs

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 minutes ago, tehmarks said:

Ricky Tropman just surveyed my boat in Ashton for insurance reasons. He's based in Chesterfield, but might be worth a call? I can thoroughly recommend him — cheerful, friendly, full of good advice, and the written report arrived by email the next day.

Hull survey or full survey: are you a handy and practical sort of person? If you're confident in doing a thorough inspection of the internals and machinery yourself, then I'd go for doing that as you'll learn an awful lot about the boat and its systems in checking them. If not, if you get a full survey you'll know where you're starting from and what things should appear first on your ongoing maintenance list.

I too have had a boat surveyed by Ricky Tropman,and can echo the recommendation above.

• Greenie 1