baked spuds

cass1

Featured Posts

People have different ways of baking potatoes  here is ours tried and tested for over twenty years

Get the fire going well shut down the air  Put a layer of new coal on top 

Wrap the spuds in foil place em on top 90 minutes voila!

5 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Spike. Olive oil them. Salt and pepper. 5 minutes in the microwave and 30mins in the oven. 

Beaten to the punch.! The only way to do them.

As an aside , where did you find that animation you used on the X topic? I want it!!

13 minutes ago, Slim said:

Beaten to the punch.! The only way to do them.

As an aside , where did you find that animation you used on the X topic? I want it!!

If you right click on it and 'save image as'. (Windows) Can't exactly remember the google phrase I used. I think "nutcracker", images, will get you there. ?

Edited by Higgs

27 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Spike. Olive oil them. Salt and pepper.

22 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

I burn wood,I shift the fire to one side,leave some embers...Spike spuds,wrap in foil,bung on embers,turning occasionally.

I use @Higgs preparation method and @Leggers do it lying down cooking method. Might try @cass1's cooking on fresh coal method as I've currently got coal, not wood available.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Wash and pop under fire 'til baked, wood fire, not coal, as then you need foil.

When moored next to harvested parsnip fields xelect large parsnips and stick under fire, they bake in their own clay jackets and can be scooped out, 

Edited by LadyG

3 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This thread had me fancying a stove baked spud this evening. Turned out the large potato I remembered being left in the veg box was actually an onion ?. Didn't fancy baked onion. Off veg shopping tomorrow.

Jen

I picked up an enormous bag of funny shaped small spuds at Tesco's today for £1.

36 minutes ago, bizzard said:

I picked up an enormous bag of funny shaped small spuds at Tesco's today for £1.

Where I used to work one of the engineers at this time of year would go round selling sacks of his Dads Maris Piper spuds that the supermarkets wouldn't buy from the farm, they where superb massive spuds a lot over 10cm long and they made delicious jacket spuds. 

10 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

This thread had me fancying a stove baked spud this evening. Turned out the large potato I remembered being left in the veg box was actually an onion ?. Didn't fancy baked onion. Off veg shopping tomorrow.

Jen

But baked onion is lovely, bit of oil, salt, pepper, wrap in tin foil and bake until soft, absolutely lush

• Greenie 1