Tunnel Booking systems or Traffic light systems?

Midnight

Featured Posts

With the news from CaRT that we boaters are now  'able tobook tunnels like Braunston & Saddington is this code for soon 'will have to' book? Seems a bit odd that unmanned tunnels where narrowboats can pass require booking, unless the booking system applies only to wide-beams (it doesn't say) or these tunnels are now manned - been awhile since I was there.  Foulridge tunnel works well enough with traffic lights (apart from colour-blind  canoeists) as does Preston Brook with a a timed system. CaRT's Jon Horsfall is quoted as saying “We hope that, by reducing the admin, ...................." surely these booking systems will increase admin especially if they are planning on placing vollies at each end of tunnels. Surely traffic light systems or timed systems are preferable for tunnels if booking becomes mandatory?

Edited by Midnight
  • Greenie 1

Where does this news appear? Wide beams have always had to book, and as Braunston is more than wide enough for two narrowboats to pass, I cannot see any good reason for requiring passage booking, unless it is a misguided decision to try and enforce social distancing.

Edited to add:- I have just found it on the latest C&RT news site:- https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/we-have-broadened-our-online-passage-booking-offer  The article is written in a way that suggests that the online booking system is an alterrnative to the present system, which means it must be for widebeams, pity they have not made it clear.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

The article is written in a way that suggests that the online booking system is an alterrnative to the present system, which means it must be for widebeams, pity they have not made it clear.

Does it though or as Alan de Enfield said "thin end of the wedge"?
Why would widebeams need to book Bingley, Kirkstall etc if not narrowboats?

If you go on the booking system and select you have a narrowboat you don't have the option to book wide tunnels.

3 minutes ago, frangar said:

Interesting about booking bingley....surely you just turn up....I think this needs further clarification. 

Is Bingley locked out of hours or can you go through unassisted once the lockey has gone home?

1 minute ago, Rob-M said:

If you go on the booking system and select you have a narrowboat you don't have the option to book wide tunnels.

Is Bingley locked out of hours or can you go through unassisted once the lockey has gone home?

I thought bingley was like foxton & padlocked up when the lockies go home. 

1 hour ago, frangar said:

I thought bingley was like foxton & padlocked up when the lockies go home. 

It usually is but you never had to book from Easter to November just turn up it can be quite busy with sometimes longish waiting times

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

It usually is but you never had to book from Easter to November just turn up it can be quite busy with sometimes longish waiting times

You have to book in the winter, and I guess this is for that. I wonder why it doesn't cover booking for winter passages through Weaver locks?

MP.

4 hours ago, midnight cowboy said:

Never used to have to book Anderton, but you do now and pay an admin fee- as they can’t charge licence holders for passage.

There doesn't appear to be any mention of payment in the online booking system for Anderton.

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

When you choose a date it adds the line "Administrative charge: £5.00" under the calendar widget.

I didn't go that far as I didn't want to make a booking by mistake.  I thought it would have had a note on there explaining there would be a charge when selecting the structure.

From NBW

AFTER the publicity regarding boats having to book to use the broad Grand Union tunnels, CaRT has amended its advice.

Kevin McNiff tells us he has just received confirmation from Matthew Symonds at CaRT that the booking system being brought in is to allow online booking for widebeam only passage through Braunston and Blisworth tunnels.

The death knell!

There’s no agenda for all boats to book. That would indeed spell the death knell for us all!

With Harecastle becoming volunteer run, are Staffordshire Fire and Rescue aware?  I would like to see the written protocols on this one.

•  

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

From NBW

AFTER the publicity regarding boats having to book to use the broad Grand Union tunnels, CaRT has amended its advice.

Kevin McNiff tells us he has just received confirmation from Matthew Symonds at CaRT that the booking system being brought in is to allow online booking for widebeam only passage through Braunston and Blisworth tunnels.

The death knell!

There’s no agenda for all boats to book. That would indeed spell the death knell for us all!

With Harecastle becoming volunteer run, are Staffordshire Fire and Rescue aware?  I would like to see the written protocols on this one.

•  

I think that NBW have now posted an item that clearly refutes the last para above. I any case, many fire services are retained rather than full time, a bit in between full time and volunteer. Nevertheless, they are still very well trained and committed.