Used Boat Survey

Aprilia

Featured Posts

We have seen a boat only 2 years old.

Looks to be in GC.

Most people seem to recommend having a survey on a used boat, which makes sense, especially as we will be new to it & without experience.

But, after only 2 years & the fit out by a normal company, i.e. not a owner done job, would it still be needed to pay for out of the water survey on such a young boat?

whats the general opinion.

Thanks in advance,

I would, even though I have been around boats for all 60 years of my life.

Anything can happen in 2 years, or it might have been a pup from the day it was first bought, ( why are they selling after only 2 years?).

If it tells you all is good, with nothing to be concerned about, or points out a few minor things, then it confirms your thoughts and hopes. If it finds something seriously wrong, it was worth every penny.

The former is what everyone hopes for when they pay for a survey, so being only 2 years old is not really a good reason.

5 minutes ago, Aprilia said:

Looks to be in GC.

Most people seem to recommend having a survey on a used boat, which makes sense, especially as we will be new to it & without experience.

But, after only 2 years & the fit out by a normal company, i.e. not a owner done job, would it still be needed to pay for out of the water survey on such a young boat?

Thanks in advance,

It's not obligatory, but it's your money ...

I have seen a four year old boat from a well regarded builder that had a hull like a colander due to galvanic corrosion.  It all depends on what's happened to the boat since launch.

We have a member on here whose boat went from perfectly sound to nearly sinking in 18 months.

Two years old, never been reblacked  ,just the builders single fast coat from new.  Spent its entire life on a land line in a marina  touching steel pontoon, without a GI fitted, could be pitted to hell and back on one side.

Batteries knackered because they have never been fully charged.

Engine never serviced, left ticking over for days, not worked hard enough.

10 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I bought my 2 year old boat without surveying it, I found no issues on it when it was lifted to stretch it 6 months later, 

So you did find an issue: it was shorter than you'd thought.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

So you did find an issue: it was shorter than you'd thought.

Ha ha no I bought it to stretch which is why I knocked the price down from 76k to 48.5k!

Just now, PD1964 said:

And the engine was only a Barrus Shire 40hp not the 65hp he thought he bought?

50 get your facts right! All the papers said 65 hp and their is no visual difference in them! Still I sold it as a 50 hp and got 2.5k for it, the new owner is well pleased in France with it

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Ha ha no I bought it to stretch which is why I knocked the price down from 76k to 48.5k!

50 get your facts right! All the papers said 65 hp and their is no visual difference in them! Still I sold it as a 50 hp and got 2.5k for it, the new owner is well pleased in France with it

? just Stay safe in Tier 3 lockdown?

32 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

? just Stay safe in Tier 3 lockdown?

I  am in tier 2 at the moment ?

You have raised an interesting point though about the engine, all the papers were for a 65hp engine from Barrus Shire, Barrus confirmed that's what they had supplied so would the surveyor have found the difference? As its very difficult and down to a letter on the plate? And what happened to the 65hp engine? Was it wrongly supplied swopped by the boat fitter or swopped by the owner before the boat was repossessed? Lots of questions but not many answers 

Edited by peterboat

12 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I  am in tier 2 at the moment ?

You still live in Rotherham though and as you know Sheffield, Doncaster and Rotherham went to Tier 3 Lockdown as of 00:01hrs today, for at least 28 days. So keep safe?

Edited by PD1964

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Two years old, never been reblacked  ,just the builders single fast coat from new.  Spent its entire life on a land line in a marina  touching steel pontoon, without a GI fitted, could be pitted to hell and back on one side.

Batteries knackered because they have never been fully charged.

Engine never serviced, left ticking over for days, not worked hard enough.

Interesting....Do you know the boat or are these pure assumptions?

I would imagine there are many such boats under 4 years old and not been out the water since new, all with happy owners no doubt.

It’s an interesting conundrum .
In the horseless carriage market there are heap of junk unreliable Range Rover type cars on the market from private sellers, at more than lots of boats cost

People don’t get them surveyed, and even if ok take a hit of depreciation in a year that is more than than the annual national wage.

If you are happy to be wrong  and take responsibility for being wrong take a risk, but don’t like some do complain about it later.

I bought my first boat in 1984 survey free, 2 years old. Took a young mans gamble.

It was fine.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Aprilia said:

Looks to be in GC.

Thanks in advance,

There is a member on the forum whose boat had an excellent surevey report, within 18 months it was on the verge of sinking as one side of the hull had eroded away to 0.00001mm thickness (I exagerate slightly) - but it was SERIOUSLY thin)

If you do a search, you may find the story.

The posts are by @WotEver

Until you know more than surveyors (when you can do your own survey) have a survey - even on a brand new 1 day old boat that has been built for you. They will find all sorst of problems that you may get the seller to rectify.

Do a search for MIC - it has neen known to eat thru' 11mm of steel in 1 year.

Get a survey! A friend of mine saw a new boat whose fitting out had only been completed 2 weeks before by a newly-retired professional carpenter. It looked beautiful inside, and the surveyor confirmed that the hull was 100% perfect but found that the wood had all been attached directly to the cabin sides with neither battening nor insulation so it was already going rotten at the end where he had started. Needless to say they didn't buy it but somebody else did so, without a survey; a year later I saw it in another boatyard stripped right back to bare metal inside for a complete refit.

• Horror 1