What do I need to go CC?

Pablo Blanco

Featured Posts

Hi all, 

So I have jumped in feet first and bought a 40ft narrowboat with the intention of making it into a liveaboard.

I am a total novice and have really got no clue about anything boat related other than hull thicknesses and springers are dodgy (sometimes)

So my plan is to go constantly cruising while I learn about the boat and boat living.

first problem Is the electrical system......it is currently 240v only with no leisure batteries.

What do I need to do to fit a 12v system?

How many batteries, what size, how to charge them,what inverter etc etc.

Any other advice on what is needed for CC also much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for all comments.

Ps I have c&rt licence

A 240V only boat is only really any use with a permanent mooring with shore power available.

To CC you need 12V batteries, wiring, appliances and a means of charging them. And first you need to work out how much power you are going to use. Plenty of threads on here about it.

3 minutes ago, Pablo Blanco said:

first problem Is the electrical system......it is currently 240v only with no leisure batteries.

Are you sure?  That sounds unlikely to me, even on a boat designed for full time hookup.

If you unplug the boat from the shoreline do the lights and taps still work or not?

Firstly,remove all the 240v appliances,fridge,tv etc and replace them with 12v!!.

Most of us go solar,have a look here https://www.bimblesolar.com/

I have approx 350w of solar input from my panels.Get a decent mppt charge controller too.

Make sure your alternator has a high enough output to charge a leisure battery bank,120amp upward.Get twin alternators if possible.

I use 3x110Ah lucas lead acid batteries.

If you still need 240v,get a 2-3000w inverter,then you shouldn't have to run it at "full cycle" and it should last longer and drain the batteries less.

Use the correct size,multi-stranded wire for the whole system.

If continual cruising,you will also need broad shoulders,strong arms and legs,a thick skin,but most importantly.....A sense of humour!!.?

Good luck.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Are you sure?  That sounds unlikely to me, even on a boat designed for full time hookup.

If you unplug the boat from the shoreline do the lights and taps still work or not?

It has 1 starter battery for the engine only.

All electrics on hook up only though it does have gas boiler and fridge.

I do intend to go solar but seems pointless for the winter from what I have seen on here?

A reasonable amount of solar will see you through 6-9 months of the year, but for the winter you need some combination of engine alternator, generator and mains hookup.

Not fully charging your batteries on a regular basis will kill them pretty quickly, so you need to be prepared. But not using electricity in the first place is a lot easier than generating it, so look at how you can economise on power use. An electric fridge represents something like half your total consumption, so that is a good place to start.

As you seem to say you have a gas fridge then as long as you change the lights for LEDs you may not have much more to do other than fit a split charge system (a Voltage Sensitive Relay), a domestic battery bank - 220 Ah will probably do to start, a domestic distribution board dan 12V wiring, and a 12V water pump. I suspect that as long as you stick with LED 12V bulbs the mains wiring feeding them will do for now when connected to  the 12v supply. You then ned to ensure you can charge for several hours a day and fully once a week unless you want to be constantly buying new batteries.

Sounds simple but unlikely to be.

Perhaps some electrical help here www.tb-training.co.uk.

I am not an expert (Tony Brooks is?),  but to some extent an experienced boat electician will be happier to start from scratch, all you need do is 

Find one!!!!! 

Insist on getting wiring diagram, with notes.

Insist on having work done to meet Boat Safety Scheme requirements. 

If he dies not know them, he is probably an auto electrician, and a different species.

Discuss your requirements, I assume you don't want a different fridge, or a gaming station or a large screen TV 

Buy the materials, as you go along, or pay him to buy them, but you need to see invoices, and get a copy. You will need a starter battery, which is cheap and cheerfull, and is usually an automobile AGM type, you probably have one on board.

For the domestic battery bank etc see Tony's website.

Edited by LadyG

3 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

As you seem to say you have a gas fridge then as long as you change the lights for LEDs you may not have much more to do other than fit a split charge system (a Voltage Sensitive Relay), a domestic battery bank - 220 Ah will probably do to start, a domestic distribution board dan 12V wiring, and a 12V water pump. I suspect that as long as you stick with LED 12V bulbs the mains wiring feeding them will do for now when connected to  the 12v supply. You then ned to ensure you can charge for several hours a day and fully once a week unless you want to be constantly buying new batteries.

Sounds simple but unlikely to be.

Perhaps some electrical help here www.tb-training.co.uk.

Thanks Tony, much Appreciated

13 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Gas fridge or mains fridge at the moment?

Gas fridge at the mo.......I intend to do a full upgrade next summer but plan living on it in the meantime so I can get to know what works for me and what doesnt for full time living if that makes sense? 

3 minutes ago, Pablo Blanco said:

Gas fridge at the mo.......I intend to do a full upgrade next summer but plan living on it in the meantime so I can get to know what works for me and what doesnt for full time living if that makes sense? 

If you have a BSS certificate don't even think about changing that fridge for an electric one. Learn how to maintain it. Electric fridges on boats owned by people new to boating destroy more batteries than anything else (actually its the lack of charging required by the fridge that does the damage).

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you have a BSS certificate don't even think about changing that fridge for an electric one. Learn how to maintain it. Electric fridges on boats owned by people new to boating destroy more batteries than anything else (actually its the lack of charging required by the fridge that does the damage).

Yes I do have a BSS certificate, well noted