Reenactment clothing

Ray T

Featured Posts

As many may be aware that when President goes out the crew wear clothing appropriate to the occasion, part being red or blue spotted neckerchiefs.

1246562818_Presidentneckerchief.JPG.36695ecf474985abba01ac37b278ece5.JPG

Whilst shopping this morning I found the ideal Covid accessory.

IMGP5056.JPG

Edited by Ray T

34 minutes ago, Ray T said:

As many may be aware that when President goes out the crew wear clothing appropriate to the occasion, part being red or blue spotted neckerchiefs.

1246562818_Presidentneckerchief.JPG.36695ecf474985abba01ac37b278ece5.JPG

Whilst shopping this morning I found the ideal Covid accessory.

IMGP5056.JPG

It will probably help a bit stopping some of the crap he is about to breath going down his lungs as well

On 24/10/2020 at 12:53, David Mack said:

Except it isn't really appropriate. It's not what the steamer crews wore back in the day.

Yes I am well aware that President's crew's attire are not historically correct, if you note I said "appropriate to the occasion" - not necessarily historically accurate.

I believe President's crew are asked by the BCLM to don the attire they do.

Steam boat crew.jpg

The original post was meant to have a degree of humour.

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 2

7 hours ago, magnetman said:

I don't think a boatman would fend off the butty with his foot.

He's adjusting the tow angle with his foot, not trying to stop it.  It's also running unladen, so not quite as bad as it looks.

I do agree that the spotted neckerchief serves much the same purpose as a Blackberry mobile device used to though - it warns everyone else about the sort of person they are dealing with!

11 hours ago, Ray T said:

Why on earth would the BCLM do that?  I'm not disagreeing with your statement, just astounded by it.

Edited by TheBiscuits
spellink

8 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

He's adjusting the tow angle with his foot, not trying to stop it.  It's also running unladen, so not quite as bad as it looks.

I do agree that the spotted neckerchief serves much the same purpose as a Blackberry mobile device used to though - it warns everyone else about the sort of person they are dealing with!

Why on earth would the BCLM do that?  I'm not disagreeing with your statement, just astounded by it.

With regard to clothing I think it is to present a “Corporate” image rather than the crew wearing high vis or other attire which may be considered out of keeping.

22 hours ago, Ray T said:

Yes I am well aware that President's crew's attire are not historically correct, if you note I said "appropriate to the occasion" - not necessarily historically accurate.

Steam boat crew.jpg

What a fascinating picture.  I've noticed it before in photos from the era, but was only doing up the top button of a jacket or waistcoat some sort of fashion?   Or was being 'all buttoned up' more formal?      And the chap on the right looks as if he's about to break out into some sort of Tyrolean dance.

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

What a fascinating picture.  I've noticed it before in photos from the era, but was only doing up the top button of a jacket or waistcoat some sort of fashion?   Or was being 'all buttoned up' more formal?      And the chap on the right looks as if he's about to break out into some sort of Tyrolean dance.

I think it was to allow freedom of movement but still keep the clothing from flapping around.

Steam loco crews adopted the same fashion.

L to R Fireman Tommy Bray, Driver Joe Duddington and Inspector Sid Jenkins.

The others are the unnamed guard and a couple of the Westinghouse men.

49908881021_9bf9d93323_b.jpg

Edited by Ray T
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Ray T said:

I think it was to allow freedom of movement but still keep the clothing from flapping around.

Steam loco crews adopted the same fashion.

I think that is correct. A practice amongst working men rather than anything associated with fashion.

Lovely picture. Might have been taken after the 126mph run.

• 10 months later...

@Graham_RobinsonGraham I think it may be from the Jim Payler collection.

Several of Jim's photo's graced the waiting room walls of Blisworth Surgery under the title of "The Tony Hillier Collection."

Pictures included in Tony Hillier's Collection (blisworth.org.uk)

Tony Hillier's Picture Collection (blisworth.org.uk)

The attached picture  of Selina Sibley? looks as if it was taken at the same time.

43-CB.jpg

Edited by Ray T