Dilemma about surveyed boat

frankling

Featured Posts

11 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

You might have learned that surveyors saying batteries are knackered on used boats being sold is pretty much standard.

How do they know, in a survey that lasts a few hours, where they almost certainly only put a meter on them?

Very true. 

Edited by booke23

In reply to the OP.

I don't know how long you intend to hold your boat, but say you have it for 10years, then paying £5000 over the odds, if in fact you did, is only £500 a year, is almost small change compared to all the other costs your new, or infact any, lifestyle choice entails. Others have said it looks a good boat, time to enjoy it.

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

There is no one much nastier than you on this site with comments such as this.

You are actually the one who posts under the influence as Ive pointed out previously.

Looking in the mirror again.

This forum has lost a lot of good members over the last couple of years, if we don't allow posting whilst under the influence, or even totally pissed for that matter, there will be Nobody left.

second can of Vocation nearly gone, what shall I do now, go to bed?, have another Vocation, or move onto the cider? ?

..................Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

second can of Vocation nearly gone, what shall I do now, go to bed?, have another Vocation, or move onto the cider? ?

Crack a Thistly Cross Whisky Cask cider.  Seriously dangerous stuff - nearly 7%, very smooth and doesn't taste like cider!

https://www.thistlycrosscider.co.uk/product/whisky-cask-bottle

• Greenie 1

17 minutes ago, dmr said:

This forum has lost a lot of good members over the last couple of years, if we don't allow posting whilst under the influence, or even totally pissed for that matter, there will be Nobody left.

..................Dave

Up to you.

Im holding off tonight as we have a big elebration tomorrow (Ruby wedding).

So according to @TheBiscuits I guess I must be 'nasty'. ?????

11 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Crack a Thistly Cross Whisky Cask cider.  Seriously dangerous stuff - nearly 7%, very smooth and doesn't taste like cider!

https://www.thistlycrosscider.co.uk/product/whisky-cask-bottle

See.

Can you not see your hypocrisy? Accusing someone of deliberately causing arguments when you pile in to a conversation doing exactly that?

Sad. Very sad.

But in response to your earlier accusation, if I see bollox being posted on here I will call it out as such.

Edited by The Happy Nomad

35 minutes ago, frankling said:

Shucks, sorry to hear that! It is hugely frustrating. The only ones that seem to hang around for any length of time are the ones at Venetian and Whilton marinas, but having read the posts about Whilton on here, it would make me wary to buy from them. Now I'm really curious to know if we have been to look at any of the same boats, and whether your impressions were the same as mine!

I suppose at least the broker let you know that a deposit had been taken, so you didn't make a wasted journey; but it is so disappointing when you see one that you like the look of, and then it goes in a blink.

Thanks! It's just a case of being patient. I've only been looking seriously for a couple of months. It'll happen sooner or later! 

36 minutes ago, frankling said:

It was the surveyor who told me to get the sellers to replace them before finalising the sale. How would you approach the situation? Would you just eat the cost and buy them yourself? There are four leisure + one starter, so quite costly to replace all five...

It will depend on how keen the seller is to sell and how much you want and like the boat.

We replaced the batteries on our boat as the offer price was a good one and the broker was able to arrange them being replaced for a decent price so we just took the hit.

Boats are selling much more quickly now so a seller might not be so quick. 

BUT, I wouldnt lose a boat I really really liked for the sake of shelling out around another 500 quid.

57 minutes ago, frankling said:

Yes, I checked the figures for average household water consumption after seeing that the tank was 40 gallons, since most of the boats I'd previously looked at were around 120. But the answer to, "Roughly how long can the boat go before refuelling/refilling the water tank?", was "diesel on these [10-day] journeys would use a third of the tank and water wouldn’t need filling" - are you thinking that they may have misremembered the water situation? Or perhaps they never showered and only drank beer...

Ahhhh, you are clearly a tough negotiator! I like the image of you stomping down the street with banknotes overflowing from your Tesco bags. The boat went on sale Thursday morning, I drove over there straight away, really liked it, and put in an offer that afternoon. There had been one viewing before me.

You can get £60K in £20 notes in a Tesco bag without them showing.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Martin can start an argument with himself in a phonebox.  It's one of the reasons why he got a lifetime ban from this site.

Setting up a new account seems to have fooled the mods though, so he's back and back at his old tricks.

He assures us it's not the drinking though, so we can only conclude he's just nasty.

MJG or the doghouse?

11 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

You can get £60K in £20 notes in a Tesco bag without them showing.

Been there, done that. After a house sale had the cash in various banks for a while, including Alliance and Leicester just as they were taken over by Santander. When we needed it they refused to give us OUR money because we were "relatively new customers" (in fact they were relatively new owners) and a "poor security risk" (no house as had just moved onto the boat). All they could say was "go and see a solicitor and sue us".  We were then advised that the manager at the Reading branch was good and knew how to make things work. We drove to Reading and the manager was good, she could give us our money, but only in cash. Walked through central Reading from Santander to Lloyds with 80k in a plastic bag.

..................Dave

1 hour ago, frankling said:

It was the surveyor who told me to get the sellers to replace them before finalising the sale. How would you approach the situation? Would you just eat the cost and buy them yourself? There are four leisure + one starter, so quite costly to replace all five...

Just ask the seller how old the batteries are because the surveyor seems to think that they want replacing, I did this on my first boat and lo and behold they replaced them! Its worth a try and costs nothing,  as for the boat it looks lovely although as others have said water tank seems small especially for a built in one, maybe it's a guesstimate? Enjoy your boat though when you buy it ?

8 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I thought they were the same?

They are but he changed it from one to tother in my time on here

3 hours ago, frankling said:

To everyone questioning the size of the water tank - that was a big concern of mine too. I asked the owners how they had gone on with it, and they said that they would take the boat out for 10 days at a time and not have to refill the tank (and that's with two people on board). That didn't sound too bad to me, as I estimated that at that rate, it would probably last me a fortnight at a time? But perhaps I'm miscalculating?

Lots of people say that they can manage on a few drops of water per day. I spent a lot of time hunting for leaks on the basis of that. The two of us are hardly extravagant - a "navy shower" once a day, dishes, a bit of cooking, cleaning and of course drinking but our tank runs out regularly. We have a 600 litre tank and we keep 150 litres spare in containers which acts as our reserve if we run out inbetween water points.

On average our 600 litres lasts us about a week which is appropriate as we cruise weekly on average. With the reserve we have pushed 750 litres to two weeks, but that we honestly find painful.

A 40 gallon tank is 180 litres - less than a third of what we have. We'd run out in 2 days. It would be completely untenable for us - we're CCers who don't cruise anywhere near that often, not to mention the hassle. Maybe you'll be fine with it, but if not, perhaps you can decide later to install a second freshwater tank. I've pretty much put my plan for a second tank to rest, but it's still a dream.

13 minutes ago, booke23 said:

Proven.

Yes, proven indeed.

You posted bollox and I called it out as such.

(Be careful who you align yourself with on here BTW).

Edited by The Happy Nomad
To correct a seriously bad spelling error.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

If you are like Smelly, (God Forbid), you can treat them as consumables, buy cheap, and keep replacing them every couple of years, when they no longer do what you need. Not a bad strategy.

In my opinion there are only two viable strategies - this one, buy cheap, consumable LAs and replace them often (highly recyclable items so don't sweat the footprint) or put in a permanent lithium system. Debatable and situational which is the cheaper strategy in the long term, but the quality of life from lithium was worth it for me.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

In my opinion there are only two viable strategies - this one, buy cheap, consumable LAs and replace them often (highly recyclable items so don't sweat the footprint) or put in a permanent lithium system. Debatable and situational which is the cheaper strategy in the long term, but the quality of life from lithium was worth it for me.

Ditto... I tried Trojans and Rolls, and continued in my role of battery killer.

Assuming my current set of lithiums are still going strong in 10 years time, it will have been the better strategy.

The improvement in quality of life is immense, as you say.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

(Be careful who you align yourself with on here BTW).

???

This is an internet forum principally about boats that operate on canals, usually under 4mph. It's not the Mafia! 

Edited by booke23
  • Greenie 3

Take a breath!  We had the same dilemma a few years ago. Our surveyor advised that if nothing untoward showed up on the survey then not to worry. As others have said as long as you keep an eye on everything and keep on top of all the jobs required just try to enjoy it but if it really feels wrong for you then if you can withdraw from the sale. You normally get this feeling after the sale! Only joking. The boat looks very nice and cosy though, I wish you well.

I agree with most of the sentiments here. It doesn't matter that the steel is thin, what was there in 1998 is still nearly all there, that's what's important. In terms of price I don't think it's unreasonable. My boat is similarly nice (I would say that!), a 1998 Hallmark (also a budget hull). It's well equipped for a liveaboard. 35ft long, the brokerage have suggested an asking price of £27,000. If you do the maths in terms of price per foot on mine and yours, they are more or less identical. Personally I'd happily proceed with the purchase but I'd try to find something in the survey to justify knocking £1K off the price. Seller might not agree but I think it's highly likely they'd split the difference, £500 is worth having. Good luck.