URGENT Rayburn Nouvelle Boiler service chesier

Little One

Featured Posts

Hi,

Wondering if anyone can help us our Rayburn boiler has suddenly stopped working (cooker side is still working fine)  but I'm struggling to find anyone who will come out and fix the it. 

We had one comonay, Jackson of Preston who haven't us down - somehow they lost our booking... 

Its our only source of heat  we have no fire and don't have a shore line so can't relay on electric heating, so urgently need it fixing. 

Many thanks!

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I take it should heat radiators, so it could be a circulating  pump or electric failure. Maybe the previous owner could advise if its Effingham

Yeah, the boiler rprovides the heat to the radiators, it's on our boat Parbella.. Effingham was our old boat we sold last year.

The heating pump works fine, it's to do with the actual Rayburn itself. We've tested the electrics to it which all seem to work  but think a relay or something has gone. We are no expecta in Rayburns so really need to try and find someone to come out and look at it. 

1 minute ago, Little One said:

Yeah, the boiler rprovides the heat to the radiators, it's on our boat Parbella.. Effingham was our old boat we sold last year.

The heating pump works fine, it's to do with the actual Rayburn itself. We've tested the electrics to it which all seem to work  but think a relay or something has gone. We are no expecta in Rayburns so really need to try and find someone to come out and look at it. 

I was obviously recommending you contact yourself then.

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was obviously recommending you contact yourself then.

Sadly we tried that, and ourselves arnt much help! 

Seems hard work to find anyone who van come out and service the Rayburn

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I imagne it is hard enough to get anyone to go to Liverpool at 'normal times', but with tier 3 lockdown, I doubt many will dare to tread where angels fear to go,

The boat is based in Northwich  so hopefully we can find someone 

12 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

google Aga Rayburn shows agents in Congleton, Stoke-on-Trent, Northwich and others. You are in the farming belt, everyone has a Rayburn or an Aga.

Will have another ring round tomorrow, alot of people will deal with Aga but not an Aga rayburn, which I though was the same thing. 

Shall keep trying

Just now, Little One said:

Will have another ring round tomorrow, alot of people will deal with Aga but not an Aga rayburn, which I though was the same thing. 

Aga & Rayburn are different brands. Both manufactured in Telford in the same factory but they are 'different animals' - its a bit like expecting Nissan to mend your BMW.

"Aga" has become a generic name like 'Hoover' everyine 'hoovers' their carpets but actually some people Electrolux, or Dyson, or ...................  their carpets.

Is this an oil fired Rayburn Nouvelle or gas? Either way, you will struggle to find anyone these days as they are complicated to all but those that grew up with them. They are very labour intensive, and spares are very scarce so consequently expensive. Might be time to look at an alternative. 

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

Is this an oil fired Rayburn Nouvelle or gas? Either way, you will struggle to find anyone these days as they are complicated to all but those that grew up with them. They are very labour intensive, and spares are very scarce so consequently expensive. Might be time to look at an alternative. 

Really?

I would expect both oil and gas fired Rayburns to use the same burners and controls as the older models of ordinary oil and gas fired central heating boilers, which are fairly simple to work on and with spares (manufacturer branded and generic) readily available.

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

Really? They are cheap as chips secondhand, spares are easily bought even for early Royals! They arnt complicated at all and I have had oil, balance flue gas and now solid fuel. I think that the poster needs to tell us whether its oil or solid fuel though so we can help 

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Really?

I would expect both oil and gas fired Rayburns to use the same burners and controls as the older models of ordinary oil and gas fired central heating boilers, which are fairly simple to work on and with spares (manufacturer branded and generic) readily available.

Cross posted with yourself clearly you know whats what as well 

Nouvelle's are a breed apart and if this is oil as I suspect, the cooker burner is an oblong channelled vapouriser with a block of shells sitting above. The boiler burner is a version of an aspirated pot burner, but with either a PCB on newer versions, or a collection of relays that offers automatic operation. They are like nothing else. I now, thank god, only have one left in my service schedule and will be pleased to see it disappear.

Even the later, and current  Rayburns have very specific purpose built burners which often use some generic parts, but compared to a regular pressure jet burner, they become complicated.

Edited by Ex Brummie
to add a bit more information.

We on our boat also have a rayburn xt, same as the 400 but with a power flue, and runs on kerosene.

having a solid fuel royal on previous boat.

very realisable, good engineers are rare tho, parts can be got from auction sites on internet.

they are fairly simple to service, but new parts are expensive through aga rayburn.

Jacksons of Preston are magic, bit far away from us, but have been a great help offering advice and technical knowledge.

tracy have never let me down.

one part which is very important is the oven protector plate, £you can buy for £450, or prefabricate one yourselves for well well under 1/2 the price.

chamber vermecite bricks, buy a 500 x 600 board and cut them yourselves.

the burner pump etc is one unit a eco flam minor 1, take it of have a nosey yourself or send it away to be serviced, repaired.

they are relatively simple. Burner pump, control box, and pcb board, and the main control panel with protection thermodial stats etc

if a rayburn engineer is not in your area, then ask for advice and send sugested faulty parts to the engineers.

fuel last fill up was 23p per litre, now till spring next year will be on continusley on low, or higher for cooking of course!

best thing we done, no chimney on the roof sending loads of smoke, no heavy bags of coal, no getting rid of ashes, NO MORE DUST!!!

no more dirty cabin roof

My advice is keep with it

heart of the boat

peter boat and myself have both given each other advice, and also if on Facebook search for rayburn lovers or aga rayburn there are many rayburn groups on their offering advice, problem solving, many have had the same problems that you have now!!!

Rayburns and agas are for life!   ? ? ? ? 

col

apologies for spelling and puntuation.   Strong Medication I’m afraid

3DDAF8DF-17D3-46C5-AFF3-5DA7AAB44218.jpeg

• Greenie 1

Have you tried Tradcookers, based not too far from you in the Wrexham area? They fitted and maintained our last (reconditioned) Rayburn.

Phonr 01948 830033

Mobile: 07860 676793

The boss is Barry Sharman who is, in our experience, highly competent.

Hi there David

from the side of cabin roof. It’s a power flue.

and as Athy says, hardly any smoke at all, in fact shouldn’t be anything at all if running right.

see pic, between 3rd and 2nd black light

same colour as boat

E15E0A57-B282-459B-A58C-BAF8BEDB76B3.jpeg

Edited by bigcol
Mis counted the lights

3 hours ago, bigcol said:

We on our boat also have a rayburn xt, same as the 400 but with a power flue, and runs on kerosene.

very realisable, good engineers are rare tho, parts can be got from auction sites on internet.

they are fairly simple to service, but new parts are expensive through aga rayburn.

Jacksons of Preston are magic, bit far away from us, but have been a great help offering advice and technical knowledge.

one part which is very important is the oven protector plate, £you can buy for £450, or prefabricate one yourselves for well well under 1/2 the price.

the burner pump etc is one unit a eco flam minor 1, take it of have a nosey yourself or send it away to be serviced, repaired.

they are relatively simple. Burner pump, control box, and pcb board, and the main control panel with protection thermodial stats etc

if a rayburn engineer is not in your area, then ask for advice and send sugested faulty parts to the engineers.

fuel last fill up was 23p per litre, now till spring next year will be on continusley on low, or higher for cooking of course!

best thing we done, no chimney on the roof sending loads of smoke, no heavy bags of coal, no getting rid of ashes, NO MORE DUST!!!

no more dirty cabin roof

heart of the boat

peter boat and myself have both given each other advice, and also if on Facebook search for rayburn lovers or aga rayburn there are many rayburn groups on their offering advice, problem solving, many have had the same problems that you have now!!!

col

Thank you so much for this lvely insite - We definitely want to stick at this, we have been online found some more information and think we have found our issue, and have ordered a new part - fingers crossed we can get it to work! if not I'll re-try jackson, its just a shame they couldn't find our booking.

Thank you for some hope!

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Have you tried Tradcookers, based not too far from you in the Wrexham area? They fitted and maintained our last (reconditioned) Rayburn.

Phonr 01948 830033

Mobile: 07860 676793

The boss is Barry Sharman who is, in our experience, highly competent.

Many thanks! Shall get the husband to give them a call!

Much appreciated 

3 hours ago, bigcol said:

no more dirty cabin roof

heart of the boat

col

I am amazed you have the same tiles behind your Rayburn as me! I have considered an oil fired rayburn but at the moment can cope with my solid fuel one, you have done a cracking job of it all though Col

Thanks Peter

funny I’ve been looking at this photo, and the oven door looks wrong, and rail

wifes telling me it’s a tea towel, called me a plonker, ? ? ? ?, I even took the pic, 

what’s his name on tele, I’m a regular  Mr Mc goo?

44 minutes ago, bigcol said:

Thanks Peter

funny I’ve been looking at this photo, and the oven door looks wrong, and rail

We call ours the "fiddle rail", which I'm sure isn't the correct term. But we (and Barry Sharman) know what we mean.