Made it with a few hours to spare.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

The marina has had the 'lift out crane' booked for many months little knowing that Welsh Lockdown would start at 6pm.

We managed to get out about 11am so have had the rest of the day to drain down, clean, scrub the bottom, vac-pack bedding and generally Winterise her.

There are still some boats being lifted, hopefully they get done before the deadline.

The Marina has been told to close at 6pm, all shoreside facilities are to be locked and all 'Electronic access fobs' to be deactivated. Lockdown until November 9th.

You begin to realise that she is 'quite a big girl' when you see her out of the water & alongside people.

Crane weighed her at 12.2 tonnes (but that does include 2000+ litres of fuel and the lift chains)

Less than 2 feet between boats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20201023-114350.jpg

20201023-114456.jpg

20201023-114533.jpg

20201023-163926.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Please refrain from posting fotos of proper boats ont forum. Most of us have to suffer a narrowboat!!  :(

You seem to be one of the only ones that suffers from them, most other people seem to enjoy theirs. 

4 minutes ago, Rumsky said:

You seem to be one of the only ones that suffers from them, most other people seem to enjoy theirs. 

Needs must as we have been left stupid narrow locks. They are a ridiculous dimensions, hence their extreme rarity.

• Haha 1

I'm sure the slime that grows on boat hulls would thrive on Mars!..tenacious bloody stuff!!...They pack em in there don't they!...That's some precision craning taking place,well done Buckley's.

I have been mulling with the idea of trading my n.b. in for a single handed yacht!! :boat: 

2 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

I'm sure the slime that grows on boat hulls would thrive on Mars!..tenacious bloody stuff!!...They pack em in there don't they!...That's some precision craning taking place,well done Buckley's.

I have been mulling with the idea of trading my n.b. in for a single handed yacht!! :boat: 

Surely you mean a second hand(ed) yacht?

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Go forrit Mester !!

16 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Id have another proper boat in a heartbeat.................however................swmbo will not allow it :(

I have been doing some research lately...Once my 14 yr old rotti (my prof pic ..nickname "indistructadog"!) has shuffled off,should be about time for my "later life" crisis!?...

And now for something completely different!:P

16 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Surely you mean a second hand(ed) yacht?

A second hand,single handed one would be right handy!?

18 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

I have been doing some research lately...Once my 14 yr old rotti (my prof pic ..nickname "indistructadog"!) has shuffled off,should be about time for my "later life" crisis!?...

And now for something completely different!:P

A second hand,single handed one would be right handy!?

Or even right-handed! ?

25 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Is that a steel De Groot or a look alikey

No.

It is a 2003 purpose built leisure / liveboard GRP cruiser built on a 'new build' Offshore trawler hull (called a 'Versatility' but the Versatility is normally a single engined boat)

Twin 6.2-litre 6-cylinder engines, 2800 litre fuel tanks giving a range of over 2000 miles. Cruise at 6 knots (1500rpm) using 10 litres per hour - 5 litres per engine. Or 8 knots at 2000rpm using 13 litres per hour per engine, or at 2500 rpm using 25 litre per hour per engine.

Guess what my normal speed is ...................

A real chug-chug go anywhere boat.

EU compliant having both Black & Grey water holding tanks.

A few different Versatility Fishing boats on which my boat is based.

The red one is the same hull (35ft x 14 foot) 

The Blue & Red is a 33 x 12 and the 

White one is the 30 foot version

A3.jpg

a4.jpg

463bc82e-3088-4de0-9593-7ac6513bf22f_large2000.jpg

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Took all yesterday afternoon and evening to get the jobs done and we were too late to 'get-out' and were 'locked in'.

Over night we made contact with the local 'underground' and made arrangements for them to pass us 'down the line'.

The Great Escape :

As agreed, 1st light this morning we managed to creep out of the marina and were picked up by the 'first team' who took us up some 'sheep paths' up the mountain, down the other side to where there was a car waiting, they assured us that having 'local plates' we would not be stopped.

We were provided with some disguises (SWMBO received a big, tall Black hat, and I was given a sheep) and told to set off.

Thru' Gwynedd, Conwy and Flintshire with dozens of Irish registered trucks but in 50 miles we didn't see more than half a dozen cars.

Made it to the border and swapped cars - the escape committee had taken our car to the border during Friday, before the borders closed.

We crossed the border at 14:58 hrs today and were 'free'.

It was like going from East Germany to West Germany, before the wall came down - once in England it was a typical Saturday - in the first 2 or 3 miles we saw more cars travelling towards / from the Tier 3 areas than we had seen in 2 hours on the A55 in Wales.

Home safe and sound at 16:41 hrs

You laugh now Alan, but i think this may become a way of life if Mark Drakeford's dastardly plans come true!  :)

1 hour ago, robtheplod said:

You laugh now Alan, but i think this may become a way of life if Mark Drakeford's dastardly plans come true!  :)

He may have ulterior motives but I do support him - at least he is decisive, we may not agree with everything he is doing but he is 'out in front' and trying to protect his countrymen.

On the other hand, our indecisive PM who changes the rules every week and (allegedly) follows the science, but not what the scientists advise him to do, waits for a few weeks to see what other countries are doing and them 'cherry picks' bits and pieces that will 'upset' the minimum number of people, or, as seems to be more the case, upset the maximum number of people for little gain.

Boris was the man to get us thru Brexit but he is not the leader to get us thru' C19.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, Bacchus said:

I thought it looked a bit De Grootey then realised it is a very fine looking GRP boat

<---  that's a De Groot

I think it is the wheel house - aft cabin arrangement that looks similar to a De Groot or Pedro.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

He may have ulterior motives but I do support him - at least he is decisive, we may not agree with everything he is doing but he is 'out in front' and trying to protect his countrymen.

On the other hand, our indecisive PM who changes the rules every week and (allegedly) follows the science, but not what the scientists advise him to do, waits for a few weeks to see what other countries are doing and them 'cherry picks' bits and pieces that will 'upset' the minimum number of people, or, as seems to be more the case, upset the maximum number of people for little gain.

Boris was the man to get us thru Brexit but he is not the leader to get us thru' C19.

Time will tell. Certainly some of the quirks of this lockdown don't seem to make much sense, but then nothing is making much sense at the moment!  :)