Canal & River Trust broadens online passage booking offer

Ray T

Featured Posts

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It maybe all part of the devious plan to get fat-boats restricted, you will note that the press release said :

Now, it could be that the website booking can say "the computer says NO, you are too fat, unable to make a booking"

To be fair they are restricted in the times they can transit those tunnels at present. I was worried that would change with the ability to book. I doubt it but I’m not allowed to assume any logical am I @Mike Tee ??

9 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

To be fair they are restricted in the times they can transit those tunnels at present. I was worried that would change with the ability to book. I doubt it but I’m not allowed to assume any logical am I @Mike Tee ??

Don't forget C&RT's new philosophy of restrictions of fat-boats based (on their) peceptions of canal / boat suitability.

In the new T&Cs if I remember correctly.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't forget C&RT's new philosophy of restrictions of fat-boats based (on their) peceptions of canal / boat suitability.

In the new T&Cs if I remember correctly.

There’s no perception. A wide beam in those tunnels demands the entire waterway to itself for 20 to 40 minutes. It should be restricted. However I will defend the right of any craft within the permitted dimensions to be able to use them. If doesn’t though follow that those craft are necessarily sensible for the navigation of those canals.

20 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Now, it could be that the website booking can say "the computer says NO, you are too fat, unable to make a booking"

It will say "no" if you are bigger than the stated dimensions.

I've been caught out three times by it - twice on air draught and once on actual draught.

The first time was booking the Liverpool Link and it told me I was too high to fit because the data CRT had on file was incorrect.  I took a guess at how high I was (lower than the maximum limit) and they changed it so I could make the booking.

The next one was Standedge Tunnel.  The guess I had made for Liverpool was too high for there, so I had to actually measure it and then get them to change it again.

The latest one was for the Ribble Link, with the draught of my boat listed as 5" too deep for the passage.  Fortunately I'd accurately measured it last time I was in drydock so had the correct numbers to hand.

Another thought.  I presume that when you book online you'll need your boat name and, more importantly, number.  So, in one brilliant swoop, "stealth" boats will be unable to move round the system, and CRT will know exactly where unlicensed ones are and will be waiting to pounce on them the moment they come out of the tunnel...

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's the logical approach. If I'm not sure when I'll get there, i just book six spots over two days. Bit tough on everyone else, but there it is, it's what the system's for. Ludicrous.

It would be a rather poor system it is allowed you to book more than one passage in a given direction in a timeframe that you not allow you to get back there again.

17 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Another thought.  I presume that when you book online you'll need your boat name and, more importantly, number.  So, in one brilliant swoop, "stealth" boats will be unable to move round the system, and CRT will know exactly where unlicensed ones are and will be waiting to pounce on them the moment they come out of the tunnel...

You just make the booking from the licensing system, the same place as you licence the boat, or update your BSS or insurance details  So if you have more than one boat you pick which boat you want the booking for, if you have just one boat then the drop down just has that boat in it. 

42 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It would be a rather poor system it is allowed you to book more than one passage in a given direction in a timeframe that you not allow you to get back there again.

You just make the booking from the licensing system, the same place as you licence the boat, or update your BSS or insurance details  So if you have more than one boat you pick which boat you want the booking for, if you have just one boat then the drop down just has that boat in it. 

CRTs systems aren't notorious for being any good, though, are they? In fact, very few IT systems are.

And surely not everyone has registered on their systems.  So what happens at the tunnel when an unlicensed boat turns up? 

2 hours ago, john6767 said:
9 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

That's the logical approach. If I'm not sure when I'll get there, i just book six spots over two days. Bit tough on everyone else, but there it is, it's what the system's for. Ludicrous.

Just book 5 intervening return passages as well, even though you don't intend to use them! ?

20 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I remember having a chat with the keeper at the northern portal of Harecastle two seasons ago. He said there hadn't been any trouble at either end for a while and it was considered safe these days. There are a line of boats between the junction and the tunnel. None of them have their windows covered with screens. When we came through in the summer there were two boats overnighting at the entrance. 

Stopping at Red Bull or The Blue Bell has got to be better than the portal though.

I've moored at the north end twice before going through Harecastle, including the first time on a hire boat from Heritage. Didn't have any problems.

20 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

CRTs systems aren't notorious for being any good, though, are they? In fact, very few IT systems are.

And surely not everyone has registered on their systems.  So what happens at the tunnel when an unlicensed boat turns up? 

Same as the Bermuda Triangle, the boat enters, but is never seen again.........

I must admit to being a wee bit impressed with the harecastle booking system and hope it is as good when it goes on line. We weren't sure when we would get to the south end and booked Tuesday morning. Reply in minutes gave us a 9am slot. Had a good days boating today and actually arrived at the tunnel a day early. Sent an email asking if there was any chance of changing our booking to Monday  and again a reply in minutes ( on a Sunday ) giving us 9am on Monday. Can't fault the quick positive responses. 

Haggis