Atherstone locks

Paul_tomlinson

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Paul_tomlinson said:

We have been left stranded by CRT at top of atherstone locks no body has updated us no work to repair lock apart from fencing if had been motorway be opened by now 

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/18633-lock-2-atherstone-coventry-canal Its all here

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Closest waterway: Coventry Canal

Starts at: Lock 2

Ends at: Lock 2

Upstream winding hole: Above Lock 1, Atherstone Top Lock

Downstream winding hole: Winding Hole, Grendon near Bridge 48 Bradley Green Bridge or between Lock 6 & 7, Baddesley Marina

Updates

22/10/2020 09:23

Lock 2 is closed for repairs until Friday 30th October. Our teams will endeavour to keep disruption to a minimum.

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, Paul_tomlinson said:

We have been left stranded by CRT at top of atherstone locks no body has updated us no work to repair lock apart from fencing if had been motorway be opened by now 

We were planning to ascend Atherstone tomorrow, but not now, obviously. A gate has come off its hinges, you wouldn’t think that was a major catastrophe that needed over a week to repair, but welcome to the modern world of CRT! Probably most of their workforce is still furloughed in order to save money, or been sacked to be replaced by volunteers, so no-one is available to do the repair.  Coronavirus has been a gift to so many businesses - it is the perfect excuse for not doing something that they can’t be bothered to do.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 3

Good info, Mr. Ditch, thanks.

So, Paul, you can turn round just above the top lock (should be easier now that Rothen's coal boats are no longer there) and head back the other way, coming back in a week's time if you want to continue your journey. But you say that you are "stranded"; can't you get back?

5 minutes ago, Paul_tomlinson said:

In reality you have been left stranded by the vandals that removed the pins from the gate collar.  I don’t think you can blame CRT for that.

But I agree that CRT are not the best at keeping those stuck updated. Give them some stick on Twitter that is usually good at getting a response.

3 minutes ago, john6767 said:

In reality you have been left stranded by the vandals that removed the pins from the gate collar.  I don’t think you can blame CRT for that.

But I agree that CRT are not the best at keeping those stuck updated. Give them some stick on Twitter that is usually good at getting a response.

They have published on their web site its out until the 30 Oct

2 minutes ago, john6767 said:

If indeed vandals did actually remove the pins from the gate collar. There were no witnesses. I am more inclined to think they fell out due to lack of maintenance. But if there is any hope of getting away with it, CRT will always cite “vandalism” at the first opportunity. This is by way of explaining away their poor record for keeping the system navigable, to their bosses in Defra.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

They have published on their web site its out until the 30 Oct

Does it really need to take over a week to rehang a gate?

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

Welcome to the forum, Paul.

There's a CART depot by the top lock. Is there no one there?

But it's only volunteers and they won't be there if no boats moving.

We are at services at bottom of flight waiting to come other way.

Was suggested on Facebook that they need to get a crane on. Good luck with that. Speedy Hire have a 5 ton capacity A frame available to do the job, could probably be done in a day, including assembling the frame. Except, another 2 days to put the fencing up and take it down!

I've often wondered why they don't tack weld those tapered steel bits to stop the collars being released.

Edited by pearley

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

If indeed vandals did actually remove the pins from the gate collar. There were no witnesses. I am more inclined to think they fell out due to lack of maintenance. But if there is any hope of getting away with it, CRT will always cite “vandalism” at the first opportunity. This is by way of explaining away their poor record for keeping the system navigable, to their bosses in Defra.

Does it really need to take over a week to rehang a gate?

I think they have access problems and have to arrange lifting equipment, I am sure that they have a procedure they have to follow for their safety Case and cant just go and put a set of shear legs up, so probably involves quite a bit of kit

4 minutes ago, Paul_tomlinson said:

Yes I could turn at top lock but running out of meds waiting for electronic prescription to arrive at Lloyds pharmacy 

In Atherstone? Then you wouldn't have been going down straight away anyway, would you?

I hope the prescription arrives by October 30th!

1 hour ago, Paul_tomlinson said:

I received an email at 0920 yesterday informing me of the stoppage details. Have you registered with CRT online for stoppage notifications?

2 hours ago, Paul_tomlinson said:

I always wonder if people are more likely to fall to their deaths in a lock whilst work is taking place rather than in normal unfenced operations that thousands of boaters pass through each year..

• Greenie 1

54 minutes ago, rgreg said:

I received an email at 0920 yesterday informing me of the stoppage details. Have you registered with CRT online for stoppage notifications?

It surprises me how many boaters are unaware that they can sign up for emergency stoppage notices for the waterways they are about to boat on. When we are planning a trip it is one of the first things we do as it gives us a chance to change our plans if necessary

Haggis

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, haggis said:

It surprises me how many boaters are unaware that they can sign up for emergency stoppage notices for the waterways they are about to boat on. When we are planning a trip it is one of the first things we do as it gives us a chance to change our plans if necessary

Haggis

Indeed, I signed up for my local canals and the add ones further away when planning a trip further afield and then delete those once the trip is complete.

36 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I always wonder if people are more likely to fall to their deaths in a lock whilst work is taking place rather than in normal unfenced operations that thousands of boaters pass through each year..

A bit like when they fenced off hundreds of yards of the GU below Stoke Bruerne a few years ago when they drained the pounds so you couldn't fall 3 foot onto the mud.

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

"Atherstone's canal gate ends up in water after inexperienced contractors drop it in, then the CaRT blame yobs so the stoppage doesn't count toward their KPI's"

I did wonder if the gate had been dropped as its position in the first picture I saw and the one in the news report show the gate in different positions.

They haven't been in contact with us yet, probably as we have stayed by Grendon services. Perhaps I should tell them.

On 23/10/2020 at 17:19, haggis said:

Haggis

I wonder how some folk even get through the day without someone to spoon feed them the bleedin' obvious. CRT aren't always great at keeping "customers" (or whatever we are this week) fully informed and sometimes finding the right page on their website has been a bit of a Sherlock Holmes job, but looking at stoppage notices or signing up for push updates on your own route has been a bit fundamental for some time. Not planning your own navigation properly is not quite the same as being "stranded by CRT". 

• Greenie 1