Atherstone locks

Paul_tomlinson

Featured Posts

On 23/10/2020 at 17:19, haggis said:

It surprises me how many boaters are unaware that they can sign up for emergency stoppage notices for the waterways they are about to boat on. When we are planning a trip it is one of the first things we do as it gives us a chance to change our plans if necessary

Haggis

We've heard that C&RT are stopping these email alerts in December. We too know how useful they are so I have asked the question if this is true or not and if so why for their Annual General Meeting on Wednesday. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Atherstone flight has been closed a number of times since the summer...They must have some pretty determined "vandals" in their town!?....

Three are determined vandals everywhere, sawing valence beams off on tithe Walsall, smashing the paddle great off with a sledgehammer on Ryders Green.  Removing the pins from the collar seems simple stuff in comparison.

8 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Atherstone flight has been closed a number of times since the summer...They must have some pretty determined "vandals" in their town!?....

we've been down and up it this year, and some of the gates are in v.poor repair to the point a good whack from an inconsiderate or out of control boat would destroy part of it.

in fact i believe that some of the facebook scuttlebutt has it that this is what snapped the collar in the first place that caused it to need replacement and lead to the contractors dropping the gate in.

other opinions are available, but CRT do love their "vandals" excuse

1 minute ago, Hudds Lad said:

we've been down and up it this year, and some of the gates are in v.poor repair to the point a good whack from an inconsiderate or out of control boat would destroy part of it.

in fact i believe that some of the facebook scuttlebutt has it that this is what snapped the collar in the first place that caused it to need replacement and lead to the contractors dropping the gate in.

I suppose if it gives the vandals a "feeling of well-being",it must be ok!!!?

On 23/10/2020 at 15:02, pearley said:

I've often wondered why they don't tack weld those tapered steel bits to stop the collars being released.

Usually they do. When I first started boating the thin end of the wedge piece was just twisted to stop it going back through the holes in the collar. But now I notice on most locks a pair of wedges are used which are tack welded together.

Although that is not proof against a vandal with a cordless angle grinder.

32 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Usually they do. When I first started boating the thin end of the wedge piece was just twisted to stop it going back through the holes in the collar. But now I notice on most locks a pair of wedges are used which are tack welded together.

Although that is not proof against a vandal with a cordless angle grinder.

The L&L comes to mind there

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

Yes that ties in with what a boater currently moored near me and prevented by the closure from going up Atherstone, told me. 

He said he witnessed it and that it was an out of control hire boat that hit the gates very hard and damaged the collar.

Edited by cuthound
Clarification

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

How long a walk is that from the top of the flight

easily 1 hour...65 bus is hourly Atherston/Polesworth £4.50

Or take a chance...order through me and Ill meat! you at Grendon Wharf!!!..

30 minutes ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

Excellent pork pies from there.?

As a side the retired narrow boat captain I visit loves his pork pies.

The ones I have been buying recently, including ones from the Butchers in Braunston have very little jelly, which he likes.

On enquiries it appears they are no longer made as the were in "days of yore."

Edited by Ray T

28 minutes ago, Ray T said:

As a side the retired narrow boat captain I visit loves his pork pies.

The ones I have been buying recently, including ones from the Butchers in Braunston have very little jelly, which he likes.

On enquiries it appears they are no longer made as the were in "days of yore."

When we lived in Buxton, I used to buy pork pies made and baked that day by the  pork butcher. They were so fresh (and hot) that they had to be carried level to stop the unset jelly from running out.

33 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

When we lived in Buxton, I used to buy pork pies made and baked that day by the  pork butcher. They were so fresh (and hot) that they had to be carried level to stop the unset jelly from running out.

A reheated pork pie is a ruined pork pie, the jelly should be solid, i appreciate a newly cooked pie isn't reheated :)

Another triumph of CRT communications, just received an email telling that the towpath will be closed on Friday whilst they reset the lock gate. Title of the email:

Towpath closure notice: Coventry Canal, Navigation: Open, Towpath: Closed

So it seems the navigation is open even though the lock gate is absent. Perhaps they have turned it into a flash lock in the interim?

We were moored at the top lock, last Friday a CRT man tapped on our boat to explain what CRT intend to do; eg bring a crane from the flat's car park that's alongside the locks (obv removing the wrought iron fence) to lift the gate. A bridge will be erected to take the crane over to the towpath side. 

The CRT man said they suspect the vandals were kids - but then again I suspect CRT will be insured for vandalism and perhaps not for maintenance issues.

We turned our boat around and left the area. Yesterday we got an email from CRT complaining we'd overstayed the Atherstone mooring ☹️

It would be great while they've got a crane in the area, CRT will use it to yank the now sinking abandoned cruiser out of the water by the Wharf - think it's been an eyesore there for over a year - looking to the positives.

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

...The CRT man said they suspect the vandals were kids - but then again I suspect CRT will be insured for vandalism and perhaps not for maintenance issues...

i thought we'd established from post #34 that it wasn't the mythical vandals?

but i suspect your insurance idea isn't far off the mark