Battery advice

Featured Posts

Hello everyone,

We have to replace both starter and leisure batteries - not after anything fancy and something mid-range as far as budget goes. The starter is a priority - the engine is a Petter PH2. 

Recommendations for brands and (if possible) a supplier local to Oxford.

Many thanks

7 minutes ago, Welshmally said:

Hello everyone,

We have to replace both starter and leisure batteries - not after anything fancy and something mid-range as far as budget goes. The starter is a priority - the engine is a Petter PH2. 

Recommendations for brands and (if possible) a supplier local to Oxford.

Many thanks

Battery Megastore on ebay. next day delivery to anywhere (mainland) with a post code.

I've used them for years - compare around and they always come up about the best, but their known service makes up any difference.

Example : £79.95

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XV110-Deep-Cycle-Leisure-Battery-12V-110Ah-Caravan-Camper-Boat-354x174x190mm-/272289168572?hash=item3f65b2fcbc

Or £64.95 (3-4 day delivery)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-110AH-LEISURE-BATTERY-HEAVY-DUTY-LOW-HEIGHT-100-AH-AMP-110-AMP-DUAL-PURP/301581095653?epid=20033959993&hash=item4637a252e5:g:D-QAAOSwPhNfe45U

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Interesting.

I'd say Tayna or Alpha every time, but I have never used Battery Megastore.  Maybe next time ...

I probably buy 3 or 4 batteries per year for the Tractors, Digger, Dumper, Golf -Buggy or one of the cars.

They are not always the 'best price' (to the penny) but are always close and batteries arrive vey well packaged, always well charged and arrive when promised.

Like many things a lot of  batteries x

are made in a few mega factories in China and branded after manufacture.  The difference between brands is the level of quality the brand owner is prepared to pay for.

N

15 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Interesting.

I'd say Tayna or Alpha every time, but I have never used Battery Megastore.  Maybe next time ...

I’ve used Battery Megastore once, and never again!  Lost me 4 days of my life in the Delivery, (non delivery), debacle, which included untruths, (maybe lies?).

Used Tayna 3 times. Excellent each time.

This year replaced my domestics  from Battery Megastore with no issues and delivered when promised.

I would say look a the weight of a battery as greater weight  may and probably does  indicate greater Lead content.

I went with these and they performed well on the few trips we have made this year - since July.

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/hankook-2x-130ah-leisure-battery-xl31s-330-x-172-x-242mm/

but these are heavier and I wish I had spotted that as the extra cost may be worth paying

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/hankook-130ah-leisure-battery-xl31-x-2/

They replaced these 

https://www.batterymegastore.co.uk/product/hankook-110ah-leisure-battery-xv110mf/

Which were okay but never quite sure they had the claimed Ah capacity   but they were  good value . I have demoted one that is now 4 years old  to dedicated starter battery use and it seems fine.

Edited by MartynG

Ive have used lucas 110 Ah lead acids for about 15 years,I find them to be a good battery that last well.I decided to try a different battery on last replacement,I tried a battery from U.S.A. called Kings ?....I am now back on Lucas!! :P

On 22/10/2020 at 19:54, TheBiscuits said:

Interesting.

Battery Megastore are usually a bit cheaper, have used them three times now for Trojans, But, they do not usually meet their delivery times, might be a day late or several days late. I have heard that they keep very little stock of popular stuff, a big lorry turns up and they offload directly into their vans.

.................Dave

9 minutes ago, dmr said:

Battery Megastore are usually a bit cheaper, have used them three times now for Trojans, But, they do not usually meet their delivery times, might be a day late or several days late. I have heard that they keep very little stock of popular stuff, a big lorry turns up and they offload directly into their vans.

.................Dave

That would match my experience..... sometimes it doesn't matter when something arrives - in my case it did, and they knew it in advance.

1 minute ago, Richard10002 said:

That would match my experience..... sometimes it doesn't matter when something arrives - in my case it did, and they knew it in advance.

Strange, as I said previously, I but from them several times a year and so far every delivery has been as promised.

Could the difference be delivering to 'land' address rather than a boat ?

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Strange, as I said previously, I but from them several times a year and so far every delivery has been as promised.

Could the difference be delivering to 'land' address rather than a boat ?

My, (non), delivery by Battery Megastore was to a land address.

I subsequently got the batteries delivered to the boat by Tayna.... ordered 3.30pm one day, delivered 9.30am the following day.

I am sure that thousands of people get their batteries delivered in a satisfactory way by Battery Megastore. My experience was an example of how they behave when things don't go right. As I said, I cant be certain they actually lied to me, but I certainly wasn't told the truth, on more than one occasion.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Ive have used lucas 110 Ah lead acids for about 15 years,I find them to be a good battery that last well.I decided to try a different battery on last replacement,I tried a battery from U.S.A. called Kings ?....I am now back on Lucas!! :P

I heard that 110Ah batteries from Lucas are rebadged Numax. 

On 22/10/2020 at 19:38, Welshmally said:

Hello everyone,

We have to replace both starter and leisure batteries - not after anything fancy and something mid-range as far as budget goes.

For something mid-range you need to decide whether you want to go for open wet lead/acid which can generally be charged at slightly higher voltage (14.8v ignoring desulphation charges) or sealed maintenance-free lead acid (14.4 - 14.6v). I think sealed AGM domestic batteries would probably be out of your price range. Because wet lead/acids can be charged at higher voltages you can get a bit better performance than sealed lead/acid and possibly more longevity, but not if you know you aren't going to periodically top them up and maintain them, in which case go for sealed batteries.

Whatever kind you buy, if your charging system charges both the start and the domestic banks at the same voltage then buy the same type of battery for both and make sure that any settings on your charger, solar controller or any external alternator regulator are set to the correct battery type setting. 

Edited by blackrose