Anson Branch Restored!

David Mack

Featured Posts

Here's me thinking the top end of the Anson Branch was legally abandoned in 1956, and subsequently cut off from the rest of the BCN by the construction of the M6 motorway, although it remained in water as a supply of cooling water to Walsall Powere Station, until that too closed.

But today CRT tell me it is open and navigable!

Notice Alert

Anson Branch (Walsall Canal)
Location: Reedswood Bentley Lane Bridge, Walsall, Anson Branch (Walsall Canal)
Starts At: Reedswood Bentley Lane Bridge
Ends At: Reedswood Bentley Lane Bridge

Monday 2 November 2020 08:00 until Friday 27 November 2020 18:00

Type: Advice
Reason: 3rd Party Works

Original message:

The navigation and towpath will remain open. Contractors on behalf of Severn Trent will refurbish the three water mains crossing the canal either side of the bridge. Works will be undertaken from access scaffolds. Please take extra care when passing through the work area.

And the map on the CRT website shows this:

Capture.PNG.64e72647bb5c3dae91e08daa800560ce.PNG

May be it is for the cyclists and walkers to take notice of, but to use the word navigation is only some people in the CRT could do. Could it be possible there are people in the CRT who are not conversant with the BCN ? I wonder if we could have a Hatherton Railway restoration scheme to link with this.

Thinking further about it, I do wonder if this "canal" is a place for the ecologist looking for rare plant species and invertebrates and may be they need to be warned about the Severn Trent works. But perhaps CRT have ambitions to open this area up as historical trail for those keen to discover the lost heritage of Pouk Hill Quarries, the former iron mines, the former coal wharves, the Bradford Arm, Bentley Blast furnaces and the failed attempt to build a boat lift.

18 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

Maybe they opened it specially just to make Severn Trent serve a stoppage notice? 

I seem to recall at one point weedcutters navigated under the M6 but the culverts weren't big enough for normal boats - I may have made this bit up though.

No, I seem to remember seeing photos on here of it.

Weedcutters operates when the power station was still operating

2013, David Mack....

imageproxy.jpeg

Edited by matty40s