Bridgewater marinas availability and opinions

Pablo Blanco

Featured Posts

Hi all,

I am taking the plunge and buying my first narrow boat as a live aboard.

It is currently on the R Weaver and I will be putting her onto the canal system before the end of the month.

My plan is to go constantly cruising while I learn about the boat/canal System and living aboard (I have an awful lot to learn!)

My first problem is that the boat has no leisure batteries so I need to get it somewhere Within striking distance of anderton lift with a 240v supply and moor up while I sort batteries, inverter etc ready to cruise.

My preference is on the bridgewater in the Runcorn to Lymm area.......I called Preston brook but they are full and don’t do short term anyway.

Any help/suggestions for a short term stay (probably a month) with 240 supply and within a day or two of anderton lift much appreciated.

Cheers..........

44 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can't continuously cruise on the Bridgewater.

You either need a mooring on the Bridgewater and a Bridgewater licence, or only to spend a maximum of one week there, no return in 28 days.

Thank you, I certainly do have a lot to learn!!

So I need a mooring with 240v for a week on the bridgewater or head up to Leeds Liverpool which is where I intend to cruise for this winter

There's two marinas quarter of a mile from the Anderton lift, Uplands or Anderton who might have spaces if you want to be close to the lift as soon as you get off the Weaver.

For CCing on the L&L, check the winter stoppages.  You can't go from Wigan towards Liverpool 2nd November - 18th December and you can't go from Wigan towards Leeds 4th January - 19th March.  There is the marina at Plank Lane, Pennington Wharf Marina who might have spaces if you want to be based up that way.

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

You can't go from Wigan towards Liverpool 2nd November - 18th December and you can't go from Wigan towards Leeds 4th January - 19th March.

Other than that, and the unscheduled stoppages, and the canal freezing over, and Covid restrictions, and much of the Pennines being pretty bleak even in a mild winter, it's a pretty good plan though, right? ;)

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Pablo Blanco said:

Thank you, I certainly do have a lot to learn!!

So I need a mooring with 240v for a week on the bridgewater or head up to Leeds Liverpool which is where I intend to cruise for this winter

A bit off the wall, but you could have 3 weeks out of the water at Hesfords yard on the Bridgewater. DIY yard, with a chandlery type shop, 240V, and the ability to source stuff and trades. 

They had a max of 3 weeks last September,  but worth asking for longer given the time of year.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

Give it a week and Cheshire will be in Tier 3 as well and then you can! 

Give it a week and even the police won't know what the restrictions are - oh, hang on, that was earlier this week! Oh well, give it a week and even the PM knows what restrictions he's imposed - oh, hang on, that was... 

2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Drat!  I'd forgotten those - you can't boat from Cheshire into Greater Manchester or Lancashire at the moment ...

Give it a week and Cheshire will be in Tier 3 as well and then you can! 

Travel in and out of tier 3 is advised against, not forbidden.

I'm currently moored in West Yorkshire (Level 2?) but 100 yds from the Lancashire (level 3) border, though I believe that bit of Lancashire is actually greater Manchester (level 3). I think I'm strictly in the Calder Valley (Level 2) but the postcode is Oldham (Level 3).

A small dog walk can involve several border crossings.

Took the dog out for her late wee tonight and met a sheep on the towpath making a dash from level 3 to level 2.

................Dave

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 2
  • Haha 1

Have an M postcode, pay rates to Oldham, so Gtr Mcr tier 3, boat is just beyond and inside a tier 2 council area but have another mooring very close by there in yet another council area which is mainly tier 2 but in an area of it that is still in tier 1. I boat and work near a short stretch of canal where three tiers intersect. Confused, moi? Just a bit.

Edited by BilgePump
missing word