40 litre v 55 litre horizontal calorifier?

Markinaboat

Featured Posts

Good evening all,

So having just changed boat (again!) to something smaller (54ft), one of the jobs I need to do is install a calorifier with an immersion as the existing doesn't have this or the 'ole for an immersion. I was going for the Surecal 55 litre but it would be too tight a fit and there are no other locations where it can live. They also do a 40 litre that I will get away with.

Taking into account it's horizontal and therefore not as efficient as a vertical, would anyone know/have experience of the difference 15 litres less would make? Usual use, two decent showers, washing up etc of an evening etc? It would be installed beneath the boards mounted on timber on the baseplate in the engine room which is the back cabin (think of it as 62ft trad with the boatmans cabin cut off!)

I've looked at others (heatmyboat.com) but with everything already fitted and time being of the essence, I really do want a Surecal.

Thanks for reading...?

If you think that you are going to mix at a rate of cold to hot (of probably) 2:1, that means that your actual availabilty of warm water is probably more like a 45 litre reduction (rather than 15 litres).

I have turned the thermostat up to 85 degrees on mine which provides more very hot water which can then be 'watered down' BUT you do need to be careful when using the hot tap (rather than a mixer tap) as it can scald.

8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If you think that you are going to mix at a rate of cold to hot (of probably) 2:1, that means that your actual availabilty of warm water is probably more like a 45 litre reduction (rather than 15 litres).

I have turned the thermostat up to 85 degrees on mine which provides more very hot water which can then be 'watered down' BUT you do need to be careful when using the hot tap (rather than a mixer tap) as it can scald.

Yes, but the same would apply to a 55 litre. Just wondered how much sooner the hot water would cease by comparison. Don't want much eh!? ?

That'll work off the immersion and boiler (replacing old Mikuni with refurb webasto) but when cruising, it'll be lucky to get to 65c from the 2LW. But then that'd be mainly spring/summer so wouldn't need it to be so hot then. The Surecals come with a thermo mixer valve attached.

Edited by Markinaboat
ommission

24 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You want a thermostatic mixing valve on the calorifier outlet so that the hot water to the taps is not scalding.

9 hours ago, dor said:

Maybe modify your showering technique.  ‘Navy’ showers are the way to go.

Unfortunately, "Navy Showers" changed to "Hollywood Showers"once girls started going to sea, as many a marine engineer who has come close to running out of fresh water will tell you. You could always go for a "Submariner's Dhobi" which uses no water but does involve copious quantities of deodorant spray.... ;)

3 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Unfortunately, "Navy Showers" changed to "Hollywood Showers"once girls started going to sea, as many a marine engineer who has come close to running out of fresh water will tell you. You could always go for a "Submariner's Dhobi" which uses no water but does involve copious quantities of deodorant spray.... ;)

Don't forget the handful of foo foo to finish.

N