What chance do lock gates have?

haggis

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, Goliath said:

I thought it was a motor thing. 

Sorry, mine was a flippant comment. I think @matty40s has given us a good logic as to the timeframe and origin in this case.

However I think that sometimes when we attempt to rake back through the annals of boating history on the forum we overlook that the vast majority of it involved horse drawn wooden boats and what you can do with those is very different from what can be done with a powered metal boat.

The period of motor boat usage is fairly well documented and not entirely beyond living memory, hence if something happened it’s probably commonly acknowledged or documented. I believe this is the case with the Atherstone ‘paddle’ but I’d argue it’s a good indication that the Fenny Stratford ‘flash lock’ is urban myth.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

6 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Sorry, mine was a flippant comment. I think @matty40s has given us a good logic as to the timeframe and origin in this case.

However I think that sometimes when we attempt to rake back through the annals of boating history on the forum we overlook that the vast majority of it involved horse drawn wooden boats and what you can do with those is very different from what can be done with a powered metal boat.

The period of motor boat usage is fairly well documented and not entirely beyond living memory, hence if something happened it’s probably commonly acknowledged or documented. I believe this is the case with the Atherstone ‘paddle’ but I’d argue it’s a good indication that the Fenny Stratford ‘flash lock’ is urban myth.

JP

Yes . I had someone moaning and complaining about the state of the southern Stratford this year, private modern boat.

I informed him personally I was delighted to be able to navigate my deep ex working boat down a canal built for horse boats, and restored by volunteers and prisoners.

His response was pretty much what are you talking about.

He then informed me ‘ you’ll never get it down there’.

Course we did. Carefully slowly like every other time.

On 21/10/2020 at 17:44, roland elsdon said:

We repeatedly ask people who offer to wind up paddles when we are locking up hill not to do so. Our boat really runs at the gate, and we inform them of this.
In spite of this some will not desist.

We had one yesterday who ignored my wife, and whisked up the paddle, just as I closed the bottom gate. Of course he knew best. 

Being unloaded and high the bow hit the gate rather  than the sill board  with such force I thought the heel post would split, as the gate came open.

After informing him of our opinion of his intellectual abilities, and advising him to go away , we picked up the contents of the cabin  from the floor and slowly moved out of the lock.
He was last seen shouting at his wife for some offence while going into the lock.

Sadly this happens a lot with us. If someone insists on helping I try to get them to open and close the gates. Doesn't always work though :(