Help

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

If you are correct then I fear not many knowledgable members would be willing to help. Congestion charge, parking and so on.

I see in todays news that there is to be a £27.50 (TFL Bailout Charge) congestion fee applied.

Apparently Khan has "bankrupted" Tfl

London's drivers could soon be forced to stump up £27.50 each day as part of a Government bailout of TfL.

Sadiq Khan claims ministers are demanding he extends the £15 congestion zone to the North and South circulars as a condition for financial support.

Such a drastic expansion would cover four million more Londoners and may see some motorists charged twice if they also travel through the £12.50 Ultra Low Emission Zone. 

But he is desperate to broker a £5.6billion funding deal to secure TfL's future for the next 18 months, blaming the pandemic for the transport operator's financial woes. 

However, Boris Johnson yesterday claimed the mayor had 'effectively bankrupted' TfL before coronavirus struck and that proposals to hike charges were 'entirely his responsibility'. 

12 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I see in todays news that there is to be a £27.50 (TFL Bailout Charge) congestion fee applied.

Apparently Khan has "bankrupted" Tfl

London's drivers could soon be forced to stump up £27.50 each day as part of a Government bailout of TfL.

Sadiq Khan claims ministers are demanding he extends the £15 congestion zone to the North and South circulars as a condition for financial support.

Such a drastic expansion would cover four million more Londoners and may see some motorists charged twice if they also travel through the £12.50 Ultra Low Emission Zone. 

But he is desperate to broker a £5.6billion funding deal to secure TfL's future for the next 18 months, blaming the pandemic for the transport operator's financial woes. 

However, Boris Johnson yesterday claimed the mayor had 'effectively bankrupted' TfL before coronavirus struck and that proposals to hike charges were 'entirely his responsibility'. 

Hm. Not heard of an Khan buses and it seem accounts show (as witnessed by an accounting fact checker)  Khan had managed to improve TfL's financial situation  since the last incumbent until Covid intervened. I won't say more because this is not in the political section.

57 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

I am sure that if you were more forthcoming about your general location and more info about what is wrong then members may offer practical assistance. If you contact either The Waterways Chaplaincy or Canal Ministries they may also be able to offer support but probably not financial. I suspect they know their way around various charities and the benefits system better than you do but you must remember they are basically Christian organisations.

I suspect that you have some form of heating that requires electricity to work, your alternator has failed and you batteries are now absolutely discharged and likely ruined. With duff batteries virtually nothing on the boat will work.

Thank you that is a lot of help. It isn’t actually my boat. I work in a surgery and trying to support the community in anyway I can.  But I’ll give them a call. I can’t release to much info due to confidentiality issues. But what u have given me is amazing thank you x 

1 minute ago, Jodie Pearson said:

Thank you that is a lot of help. It isn’t actually my boat. I work in a surgery and trying to support the community in anyway I can.  But I’ll give them a call. I can’t release to much info due to confidentiality issues. But what u have given me is amazing thank you x 

Thank you for telling us the situation. If you are able to help the boater give us more info we may at least eb able to suggest what he/her can do to help him/her self.

As an example (hoping not trying to each grandma) the alternator is driven by a "rubber" belt and these go slack or break. When they do the alternator stops charging and if nothing is done almost at once the batteries go flat and then noting works. like wise if a single wire falls off the alternator or if the warning lamp blows most alternators will not start charging so again the batteries go flat. These things need checking and most boaters can do it themselves. if by chnace it is the warning lamp bulb we can even explain how to get the alternator to charge until a bulb can be sourced.

• Greenie 3

8 hours ago, Rickent said:

It was referring to the suggestion of YouTube vlogging to raise funds for boat repairs as the you tube channel Boating Beyond was mentioned, as Foxes afloat are vloggers, I assume it is this that is paying for said boat,  therefore the comment was relevant.

They probably bought and paid for the boat, which would cost far more than any moneys they got from youtube. I believe one guy sold his business, and maybe one had money in t'bank, 

There is nothing wrong with earning money from youtube, but it's not as if they are like Will Prowse who has many thousands of subscribers, and has now bought a house ... A far cry from his homeless days, but he has worked at it for many years. One can only admire such a determined, intelligent, and all round nice guy.

Youtube advertising income is not going to buy a narrowboat.

Edited by LadyG

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Quite a few people, including youngsters, have become millionaires from doing youtube stuff, though I accept they likely did not do this by talking about narrowboats.

..............Dave

2 minutes ago, dmr said:

Quite a few people, including youngsters, have become millionaires from doing youtube stuff, though I accept they likely did not do this by talking about narrowboats.

..............Dave

The exception, not the rule.

There is a possibility that I will be in Daventry next week.

If it might help I could have a brief look. 

PM me if interested. 

Owning to another poster having a bad experience in the past, if the boater is female then a chaperone will be required. 

Bod

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Bod said:

There is a possibility that I will be in Daventry next week.

If it might help I could have a brief look. 

PM me if interested. 

Owning to another poster having a bad experience in the past, if the boater is female then a chaperone will be required. 

Bod

See post 31

Without trying to be too negative, this all seems a bit strange to me. Is the boat for a charity? If so you might try contacting your local Lions or Rotary Clubs, if everything is above board they might be willing to help in some way - even possibly offering some form of mechanical help. The criteria would be proving that everything is on the straight and narrow.

28 minutes ago, manxmike said:

Without trying to be too negative, this all seems a bit strange to me. Is the boat for a charity? If so you might try contacting your local Lions or Rotary Clubs, if everything is above board they might be willing to help in some way - even possibly offering some form of mechanical help. The criteria would be proving that everything is on the straight and narrow.

I get the impression this is a live aboard boat owned by a member of the public who the OP is trying to help, in her job in the Health profession.

• Greenie 1

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

They probably bought and paid for the boat, which would cost far more than any moneys they got from youtube. I believe one guy sold his business, and maybe one had money in t'bank, 

There is nothing wrong with earning money from youtube, but it's not as if they are like Will Prowse who has many thousands of subscribers, and has now bought a house ... A far cry from his homeless days, but he has worked at it for many years. One can only admire such a determined, intelligent, and all round nice guy.

Donations from subscribers certainly would though. 

66 thousand subscribers to date.

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

Donations from subscribers certainly would though. 

66 thousand subscribers to date.

Subscribers to youtube channels are not in any way required to donate anything.

A subscription to a channel is completely free.

I subscribe to several boaty ones and motoring ones and I have never paid any of them anything.

1 hour ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I subscribe to several boaty ones and motoring ones and I have never paid any of them anything.

There are a few channels that do ask for a subscription, including one narrow boat channel, and many do ask for donations, but my friend who makes a reasonable existence from his motoring channel gets most money from advertisers or from companies he mentions.

6 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I know that, Patreon is the payment part,  my point is, if enough of those subscribers make any sort of donation,  we are soon talking big money.

2 hours ago, Rickent said:

I know that, Patreon is the payment part,  my point is, if enough of those subscribers make any sort of donation,  we are soon talking big money.

I fully understand that.

But my point is that I suspect l am pretty typical in that I subscribe but dont pay them anything.

Some even sell merchandise too, which I have never even considered purchasing.

3 hours ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I fully understand that.

But my point is that I suspect l am pretty typical in that I subscribe but dont pay them anything.

Some even sell merchandise too, which I have never even considered purchasing.

Remember this site is run on donations made by people who read it, is it that different to making donations towards something you watch

• Greenie 1

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

Remember this site is run on donations made by people who read it, is it that different to making donations towards something you watch

I'm not sure how that relates to the particular point I was responding too.

38 minutes ago, The Happy Nomad said:

I'm not sure how that relates to the particular point I was responding too.

Only that people donate to Videos because they enjoy watching them, I give to this site because I enjoy reading it (most of the time)