Help

Featured Posts

Welcome to the forum.

No, I think you'll have to work hard and save up the money to get the jobs done, as most people on here (and elsewhere) have done.

Alternately, approach your bank for a loan. It is many years since I had one, but I believe that interest rates are quite low at the moment.

Most of the DIY stuff is pretty basic. Plumbing and simple 12v electrics are no problem. Gas is also straightforward, needs an expert to do the tricky bits that might go bang, but the first stages are ok. Planning and time are the crucial things. If it's hull or engine work, save up and get it done properly! The rule of three applies - you can have any two of quick, cheap and good, but you can't have all three...

I had no real DIY skills before I started, but, being broke, had to refit my narrowboat from scratch myself after everything had to be ripped out for welding work. By the time I finished, I did have a few.

ETA if it's a narrow boat, find a copy of the Narrowboat Builders Book that one of the magazines produced years ago. 

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

What are your problems, we (as a forum) may be able to give guidance, for a solution.

We will need questions answering, to the best of your ability, and photos really do help.

What tools do you have?

Bod

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Or..

Get vlogging on YouTube, as many subscribers as you can, set up a justgiving fund and get it sorted that way.

Not that I approve of the method, but it seems to work for some.

Hmmm, I watch a lot of youtube vlogs, never seen one as you describe,

2 hours ago, Jodie Pearson said:

Is there any facilities/ charity that will help fix a boat. I’m out of funds.

Does your boat have any features that make it worthy of other peoples money ie historic or unique?

39 minutes ago, Jodie Pearson said:

Alternator has gone no heat no nothing bought and was a dud sale x

RCR if you're a member will replace alternators.  

Do you mean the whole boat is a dud? Are you trying to live on it or is it a holiday thing? The more info you can give us, the more help we can be. Ignore any snarky comments.

We can't be sure this is the problem, perhaps she could describe the syptoms in order they occured.

Did the engine run when you bought the boat ..... What happened next?

If you give us the boat number we will be able to identify it via Boat Listing Index.

46 minutes ago, Rickent said:

I also think Foxes Afloat are having another boat built as well.

Not sure this is relevant, in fact it's irrelevant.

Edited by LadyG

1 hour ago, Rickent said:

I also think Foxes Afloat are having another boat built as well.

They are indeed. They have referenced it in a couple of videos now.

Im not sure what the relevance is to the OP though.

38 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Indeed. Completely irrelevant.

1 hour ago, roland elsdon said:

A standard ish  alternator is circa £50 on ebay, and little time to fit.

There is a guy in daventry on the royal oak industrial estate who is even cheaper, or was 4 years ago when I bought my last one from him.

Electro start .

Bought one from him last month,£90, so they've gone up slightly.

Did you have a survey done on the boat before you bought it ?

What type of boat is it ? (Steel Narrowboat, GRP Cruiser, Wooden ..........)

Where abouts is the boat ?

What are all of the problems ?

Is the boat in a marina or just tied up on the canal / river bank ?

7 hours ago, Jodie Pearson said:

Is there any facilities/ charity that will help fix a boat. I’m out of funds.

I doubt it.

Maybe try and get your cash back from the seller.

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

It was referring to the suggestion of YouTube vlogging to raise funds for boat repairs as the you tube channel Boating Beyond was mentioned, as Foxes afloat are vloggers, I assume it is this that is paying for said boat,  therefore the comment was relevant.

11 hours ago, Jodie Pearson said:

It's all a bit vague. What sort of heating system(s) does the boat have. A dead alternator and faulty heating system don't make a dud boat. What else is wrong with it? 

You'll really have to volunteer some more information if you want any help. At the moment your communication skills seem like your biggest impediment.

• Greenie 4

I am sure that if you were more forthcoming about your general location and more info about what is wrong then members may offer practical assistance. If you contact either The Waterways Chaplaincy or Canal Ministries they may also be able to offer support but probably not financial. I suspect they know their way around various charities and the benefits system better than you do but you must remember they are basically Christian organisations.

I suspect that you have some form of heating that requires electricity to work, your alternator has failed and you batteries are now absolutely discharged and likely ruined. With duff batteries virtually nothing on the boat will work.