Death of Brian J Goggin

Chris Lowe

Featured Posts

Brian was certainly one of the most knowledgeable people on Irish waterway history. I had a grand day out with him three years ago, looking at some historic sites on the Shannon near to his home. He was one of the 'gentleman' canal workers and canal historians I have been fortunate enough to meet. Below are three photos I took which include him and his dogs, at Shannon Harbour, Victoria Lock, and Banagher. 

Shannon Harbour.jpg

Victoria Lock, Meelick.jpg

Banagher.jpg

A sad loss to the Irish Waterway community. I first met Brian virtually on the canals list and uk.rec. He was a true gentleman and generous with his time and knowledge. We soon became firm friends and he introduced me and the TNC crew to the Irish waterways, often driving us (sometimes at immense speed in his Subaru!) around all of Ireland to show us the latest restoration, or interesting bit of waterway. One memorable trip was a rather speedy trip down the Grand, into Dublin, where we got accused of "intimidating" the Waterways Ireland staff! On another occasion we got involved in an IWAI Branch waterways quiz. Brian was on our team, and due to his knowledge we trounced the other teams...even though they were using their phones, under the table!

spacer.png

Brian at the controls of his mighty barge - Knocknagow