Efficient Fridges

SuperJump

Featured Posts

I'm looking for a more efficient fridge and after hours of research I've narrowed it down to a few options. These are 240v fridges that I'll be running through my inverter. My current fridge/freezer is pulling 215kwh/year which has been ok during the summer, but with winter drawing in it's drawing too much power. I've come across this one undercounter fridge with a mini freezer compartment, it's a Bush M5585UCF and it's really bugging me because I can't see how its over twice as efficient as any of it's competitors. It claims to draw 39kwh/year. I've tried contacting Bush Technical and it's impossible to get through to them so I'm putting it down to a typo on the Argos site. Other site have obviously copied argos's blurb and are claiming the same specification. Would you folk agree that this is a mistake? Because if this is the genuine efficiency then I'm definately going to purchase it.  

Next in line is the Hisense RL170D4BW21 pulling 93kwh/year  

14 minutes ago, SuperJump said:

I'm looking for a more efficient fridge and after hours of research I've narrowed it down to a few options. These are 240v fridges that I'll be running through my inverter. My current fridge/freezer is pulling 215kwh/year which has been ok during the summer, but with winter drawing in it's drawing too much power. I've come across this one undercounter fridge with a mini freezer compartment, it's a Bush M5585UCF and it's really bugging me because I can't see how its over twice as efficient as any of it's competitors. It claims to draw 39kwh/year. I've tried contacting Bush Technical and it's impossible to get through to them so I'm putting it down to a typo on the Argos site. Other site have obviously copied argos's blurb and are claiming the same specification. Would you folk agree that this is a mistake? Because if this is the genuine efficiency then I'm definately going to purchase it.  

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-saving/undercounter-fridges

Best A+++ rated one here is Liebherr TP1724 at 98kWh/year.

39kWh/year is literally impossible for the A+ rated Bush, as you said it'll be a misprint -- and sure enough, the manual says 174kWh/year which is slightly more...

Edited by IanD

8 minutes ago, IanD said:

https://www.sust-it.net/energy-saving/undercounter-fridges

Best one here is Liebherr TP1724 at 98kWh/year.

39kWh/year is literally impossible, as you said it'll be a misprint for 93...

If it's 93 then it would still be a contender, because I do like Ice. If they missed the 1 off and it's actually 139 then I would discount it. If Bush were responsive I might be able to clear this up

I've not been able to find the topic I am pretty sure that exists on CWDF, but there is the option of converting a chest freezer with a new thermostat to act as a fridge. Freezers have a lot thicker insulation than a fridge and top opening keeps the cold air inside when you take out a beer, rather than letting it spill on to the floor and be replaced with warm. Lots of articles on line, including this one, with links to others.

Jen

10 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I've not been able to find the topic I am pretty sure that exists on CWDF, but there is the option of converting a chest freezer with a new thermostat to act as a fridge. Freezers have a lot thicker insulation than a fridge and top opening keeps the cold air inside when you take out a beer, rather than letting it spill on to the floor and be replaced with warm. Lots of articles on line, including this one, with links to others.

Jen

Thanks for that Jen, it's an interesting read. I have enough power to have a standard domestic fridge set up, it's just choosing the right one that I'm struggling with. 

1 hour ago, IanD said:

It's 174...

If my maths is correct (always open for corrections) then 174Kw pa = approximately 48Ah per day from the batteries.

174,000 / 10 - 17,400

17,400 / 365 = 47.7Ah per day

Just out of interest my 80 litre 12v fridge (with more than enough room in the ice box for a bag of chips, some burgers and an ice tray) uses approximately 30Ah per day

Don't discount 12v !! (unless price is your main 'driver')

https://www.waecofridges.co.uk/crx80.htm

Great new features

The new compressor fridge with a completely removable freezer compartment can create a larger fridge space. The Dometic technology has added benefits of low energy consumption, this means that it can easily run on solar panels. The CRX80 has a 78 Litre capacity and has a layer of polyurethane insulation to maintain the cool temperatures inside. Low energy consumption combined with the polyurethane insulation makes for a great combination.

Removable freezer

This 78 litre capacity CRX80 fridge, and a 7.5 litre freezer has a completely removable freezer compartment, unlike the previous model, this means that you can fully utilise the fridge area if you have no need for the freezer. As a result, you can use the Waeco CRX80 compressor fridge as a conventional fridge/freezer, a full fridge or even a full freezer in your motorhome or caravan.

waeco-crx80-main

• Greenie 1

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If my maths is correct (always open for corrections) then 174Kw pa = approximately 48Ah per day from the batteries.

174,000 / 10 - 17,400

Just out of interest my 80 litre 12v fridge (with more than enough room in the ice box for a bag of chips, some burgers and an ice tray) uses approximately 30Ah per day

Great new features

The new compressor fridge with a completely removable freezer compartment can create a larger fridge space. The Dometic technology has added benefits of low energy consumption, this means that it can easily run on solar panels. The CRX80 has a 78 Litre capacity and has a layer of polyurethane insulation to maintain the cool temperatures inside. Low energy consumption combined with the polyurethane insulation makes for a great combination.

Removable freezer

This 78 litre capacity CRX80 fridge, and a 7.5 litre freezer has a completely removable freezer compartment, unlike the previous model, this means that you can fully utilise the fridge area if you have no need for the freezer. As a result, you can use the Waeco CRX80 compressor fridge as a conventional fridge/freezer, a full fridge or even a full freezer in your motorhome or caravan.

waeco-crx80-main

I'm not questioning your calculations, but my battery bank 880ah should have no problems running my fridge freezer 215kwh/year along with my other electrical appliances if your calculations are correct. But from what I gather the fridge test involves filling the fridge and leaving it for 24 hours to measure the energy consumption, so they don't equate for constantly opening and closing the doors, so the appliance has to work a lot harder to maintain the required temperature and therefore uses a lot more power than the calculation suggest. 

Thanks for the comment btw :)

16 minutes ago, SuperJump said:

I'm not questioning your calculations, but my battery bank 880ah should have no problems running my fridge freezer 215kwh/year along with my other electrical appliances if your calculations are correct. But from what I gather the fridge test involves filling the fridge and leaving it for 24 hours to measure the energy consumption, so they don't equate for constantly opening and closing the doors, so the appliance has to work a lot harder to maintain the required temperature and therefore uses a lot more power than the calculation suggest. 

Thanks for the comment btw :)

No problem - mine is 'real life' measured usage including door opening etc over a couple of days.

I have 6 x 230Ah batteries so no problems to run 'lots of stuff', but Iike it to last more than a couple of days without having to run the Generator or the engine.

I use ~100Ah per day so I have comfortable capacity for 5-6days.

When looking at the consumption at 230v, dont forget to add in about 10% for the inefficiencies of the inverter, heat losses etc, the guide lines are to divide the wattage by 10 (instead of 12) to get a fairly accurate idea of consumption at 12v DC

So, for example a 1000w Immersion heater element will draw just over 4 amps at 230 volts, but 100 amps at 12v. (via the inverter)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

7 hours ago, SuperJump said:

For what its worth I have the hisense fridge and its very good.

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

174,000 / 10 - 17,400

Great new features

Removable freezer

waeco-crx80-main

You see Alan I agree with you, I am away from the boat so inverter turned off saving hard won lecce from the sun! Cant do that with a 230 volt fridge freezer