Nairn Acrross Britain : Trans-Pennine Canal

StephenA

Featured Posts

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p01rwfkm/nairn-across-britain-2-transpennine-canal

First transmitted in 1972, Ian Nairn travels by boat along the canal across the Pennines looking at the industrial area of the North The canal journey begins at Worsley and continues through Leigh, Wigan Chorley, Blackburn, Burnley, through the Foulridge tunnel, past Skipton, Bingley, Saltaire, and into Leeds. The canal-side towns fall under Nairn's critical eye and he asks 'why ignore the canals when they could revitalise a whole slice of the industrial North?

Fascinating footage. Lots has changed but bits of the Leigh Branch and some of the stuff round Wigan is almost the same.

Edited by StephenA

5 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

Hasn't Leeds changed?

Yep ?

Just a tad. 

Been awhile since I saw that documentary but I think I recall him at the end of his journey point at Leeds and remark how great it could be with development and restaurants and the like. 

Long before Leeds United ever dreamed of having a luxury hotel to meet before the match.  

Edited by Goliath