Grand Union Locks.

Ursamajor4148

Featured Posts

Hello everyone.

I am a complete novice regarding knowledge of canals. During several walks along the Grand Union I have noticed differing dates on locks e.g.

Common Moor lock 1867 & 1874

Lot Mead lock 1878

Batchworth 1866

Stocker’s 1886

Springwell 1892 & 1898

Coppermill 1870 & 1884

Black Jack’s 1870

Widewater 1876

Denham Deep 1851

Would some kind person be able to explain the significance of these dates please as, to me, they don’t appear to tie up with the dates of the building of the canal?

Thank you.

Alan Faulkener's book might be a help, but the differing lock dates do refer to a reconstruction date and the engineering records at CRT archives or the The National Archives might reveal explanation for the dates mentioned. Yet a simple answer is that locks have a finite lifetime and require maintenance and reconstruction. The traffic of boats created a wear and tear led to the need for repair at did the annual freezing and thawing in the winter. The original bricks were hand made and these suffered to various degrees to the effects of winter.