Diesel heater fitter in Hull area

Chribley

Featured Posts

Any recommendations please for a good diesel heater fitter (water not hot air) in the Hull area. My boat's a 50 foot wide beam with a Morso stove, two radiators and a calorifier but I want a backup to provide quick heat when the stove is out.

29 minutes ago, Chribley said:

Any recommendations please for a good diesel heater fitter (water not hot air) in the Hull area. My boat's a 50 foot wide beam with a Morso stove, two radiators and a calorifier but I want a backup to provide quick heat when the stove is out.

Hull marina - they do pretty much all mechanical and electrical stuff (at least they did up to a few years ago when we left)

Ask at Kildale Marine (in the Chandlery)

Thanks

On 20/10/2020 at 21:41, Alan de Enfield said:

Hull marina - they do pretty much all mechanical and electrical stuff (at least they did up to a few years ago when we left)

Ask at Kildale Marine (in the Chandlery)

Thanks for the advice. I've asked them for a quote plus other work on the boat. They seem very helpful.

16 minutes ago, Chribley said:

Thanks

Thanks for the advice. I've asked them for a quote plus other work on the boat. They seem very helpful.

They are great, but at a price.

They seem to do quality work so Its maybe a case of you get what you pay for.

Are you the widebeam on the pontoon 'hammerhead' near/opposite the old barges ? (there was one there when we were there, but that was 3 years ago)

We were in railway dock.

With a 23 foot beam it was very tight, we'd get under the bridge but due to the mast height and the bridge not opening fully we had to keep right over to the side, that meant we were directly in front of the pontoons, had to creep thru the bridge, stop, and do an almost 90 degree turn, go around the pontoons, do another 90 degree turn to run longside the 'hotel wall' and into our mooring.

CAM00080.jpg

CAM00081.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

This is my first move to canal boating. I had sailing boats till recently. Lukas is a replica Thames stemhead barge, originally with sails and leeboards, so a proper sea boat. I am in Railway Dock but only arrived on 1st October.

IMG_2348.JPG.9b41b03d0dbccb5aa2cdef3dd581c2cb.JPG

Getting in was very tricky, made even worse by a small RIB on the outside of the pontoon just after the bridge, which I very nearly crushed!  Berthing, right at the end of the pontoons with only a couple of feet to spare was also scary, with a beautiful wooden motor cruiser just astern and a very small GRP yacht in front, both extremely vulnerable to my incompetent handling of this heavy steel boat! I'm only 11 foot beam but 54 feet long and slow to turn.

I've paid for 12 months residential here, to get the boat properly sorted, then hope to be a continuous cruiser.

17 minutes ago, Chribley said:

Getting in was very tricky, made even worse by a small RIB on the outside of the pontoon just after the bridge, which I very nearly crushed!  Berthing, right at the end of the pontoons with only a couple of feet to spare was also scary, with a beautiful wooden motor cruiser just astern and a very small GRP yacht in front, both extremely vulnerable to my incompetent handling of this heavy steel boat! I'm only 11 foot beam but 54 feet long and slow to turn.

That doesn't look like Railway dock !!!

Apart from the negotiating the bridge and getting around the 'little boats' moored in front of it, it is  superb place to be.

Handy for the shops & easy to get out to sea.

Enjoy it/

There are some HUGE big boats on the Humber, you really do need to ensure your boat meets all of the Rules and regulations of operating on the Humber.

As you are over 12 metres the 'full' laws apply to you :

No single handling allowed, You must have a crew. (Bye law 11)

You must have working Nav lights (looks as if it has them)

You must have a VHF licence for both you and the boat, and, a working VHF on board (byelaw 9)

Make sure you have a FULL understanding of both lights and sounds signals - you are expected to react correctly when you are given a sound signal.

I (only) once got 5-hoots make sure you know that one :

"I haven't got a clue what you are doing or where you are going are you actually in command of the boat"

I'm sure being a ex Lumpy-water sailor you'll have no problems with the legalities.

http://humber.com/admin/content/files/Estuary Information/ha byelwas.PDF

https://www.abports.co.uk/media/dptmpuow/humber-navigation-bye-laws-1990.pdf

Where do you plan to 'Continuously Cruise' ?

Good luck.

Screenshot (233).png

No, it's not Railway Dock of course! It was taken on Lukas's old mooring at Long Sandall lock.

Thanks for all the information, I appreciate your warnings! As it happens I hired an official Ouse and Humber river pilot to take me from Goole to Hull. I realised that no charts of the Humber (apart from those online published by ABP) were of any use since the channels and buoyage change so fast and so often. This guy had it all in his head and got us to Hull Marina in about three and a half hours, much faster than I would have been able to do. He pilots those huge ships you mention so my boat was a tiddler to him. His family had worked barges on the Humber for generations and I wish the trip had been longer so I could have learned more from him.

On the way we saw a yacht high and dry on the mud. It was a spring tide, so the boat would have stayed there some time.

I haven't been able to explore much yet because in July I ruptured my right Achilles tendon and am still finding it difficult to walk far. Also a lot of stuff in Hull as elsewhere is closed or difficult to access at the moment due to Covid. And it's only likely to get worse. But I'm sure I will love it once I am fully mobile.

I'm planning to start cruising on the northern canals but later (in a couple of years) might take the boat south, working my way down the east coast to avoid the narrow beam restriction in the Midlands.

I've attached a picture of Lukas in her new berth. It doesn't really show how tight a fit the berth is. When I was springing her in, the rudder only just missed that motor cruiser.

IMG_20201022_135523227.jpg

9 minutes ago, Chribley said:

No, it's not Railway Dock of course! It was taken on Lukas's old mooring at Long Sandall lock.

Thanks for all the information, I appreciate your warnings! As it happens I hired an official Ouse and Humber river pilot to take me from Goole to Hull. I realised that no charts of the Humber (apart from those online published by ABP) were of any use since the channels and buoyage change so fast and so often. This guy had it all in his head and got us to Hull Marina in about three and a half hours, much faster than I would have been able to do. He pilots those huge ships you mention so my boat was a tiddler to him. His family had worked barges on the Humber for generations and I wish the trip had been longer so I could have learned more from him.

On the way we saw a yacht high and dry on the mud. It was a spring tide, so the boat would have stayed there some time.

I haven't been able to explore much yet because in July I ruptured my right Achilles tendon and am still finding it difficult to walk far. Also a lot of stuff in Hull as elsewhere is closed or difficult to access at the moment due to Covid. And it's only likely to get worse. But I'm sure I will love it once I am fully mobile.

I'm planning to start cruising on the northern canals but later (in a couple of years) might take the boat south, working my way down the east coast to avoid the narrow beam restriction in the Midlands.

I've attached a picture of Lukas in her new berth. It doesn't really show how tight a fit the berth is. When I was springing her in, the rudder only just missed that motor cruiser.

IMG_20201022_135523227.jpg

Small world - our mooring was on the opposite side of the same pontoon.

Where you are a boat was being built / fitted out.

Interesting to see the Trawler Yacht is still there, the marina has been trying to get rid of it for years and keep moving it further and futher away from'public view' as it is becomiong an eyesore.

I tried to put a bid in for it but the owners father died and lft it to him and a condition in the wll was that he must not sell it, he doesn't want it and hasn't paid the mooring bills for 'years'. Its so sad.

When you head down the east Coast YOU MUST go into Wells By the Sea.

Superb little harbour.

CAM00267.jpg

Cat.png.98f59c0f3458345991f0b0615fd7a7de.png

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Wells By the Sea.

Where are you now? I will definitely visit Wells-next-the-Sea when I go down the east coast, it's been on my wish list for years.

Edited by Chribley

24 minutes ago, Chribley said:

Where are you now? I will definitely visit Wells-next-the-Sea when I go down the east coast, it's been on my wish list for years.

I was there one day and a visitor said to one of the locals how high the water was, his reply without blinking an eye was, "Well we have had a lot of rain this past couple of weeks"

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was there one day and a visitor said to one of the locals how high the water was, his reply without blinking an eye was, "Well we have had a lot of rain this past couple of weeks"

As an east coast sailor, sounds like my kind of place?

1 hour ago, Chribley said:

We have one boat in Plymouth (The Cat) and the other (Motor Cruiser) is on the North Wales coast nr Caernarfon