Northern hardstanding

Featured Posts

Hi guys

health issues now behind me I am back into the driving seat for building a boat.  I now live in Dumfries and Galloway so need to find suitable hardstanding at the northern end of the Lancaster Canal.  Any suggestions?  Brace yourself I will be back with more questions.

cheers

Phil

7 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Hi guys

health issues now behind me I am back into the driving seat for building a boat.  I now live in Dumfries and Galloway so need to find suitable hardstanding at the northern end of the Lancaster Canal.  Any suggestions?  Brace yourself I will be back with more questions.

cheers

Phil

Quite limited options, nothing at all the top end.

Garstang Marina have some, but very limited spaces.  Glasson Dock have spaces.  They are the only two that can handle narrowboats, there are other options for cruisers (Moons Bridge, Bridge House).

Does it have to be the Lancaster canal, or is that just because it feels nearer by car?  Another hour in the car gives you quite a few more options:

Botany Bay or Lower Park or Tarleton boatyard on the L&L.

Do you need the boat on hardstanding?  It might be worth crane & wagon to get the boat up to much nearer you to save travel time (Farmyard, industrial estate, back garden?) at probably a few grand each way.

2 minutes ago, garibaldi said:

Botany Bay, Chorley?

https://www.botanybayboatyard.co.uk/  

Crossposted with you, but it's on my list too!

Not the Lancaster though ...

• Happy 1

6 minutes ago, garibaldi said:

If you use Google satellite view doesn't look like they have too much space and if you are having a shell delivered - road access does not look great around the next door pub....

Space varies with how many other boats are in the yard.  It is possible to get a 70' x 14' boat past the Lock & Quay pub on a trailer, but obviously easier with a smaller one - the satellite view is a bit misleading.

2 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Space varies with how many other boats are in the yard.  It is possible to get a 70' x 14' boat past the Lock & Quay pub on a trailer, but obviously easier with a smaller one - the satellite view is a bit misleading.

Yes - its doable - I've seen a video of a delivery when I was thinking about it as a possible option.    

Thanks for your input I wondered why I couldn’t find anything closer than Bottany Bay.  They just aren’t there.  I have 1/4 acre up here but we are down a little lane and have a few trees about.  The bin men and the Builders merchant hi-ab lorries get down how do I figure if I can get a 55foot narrowboat down?  How heavy are they sailaway and complete? My guess is 9 / 15 ton. Do you always need a crane? Or can you jack them on and off the transport?  Told you there would be questions.