Autherley Junction unsafe for mooring?

doratheexplorer

Featured Posts

Saw this on the Boater's Guides (Waterscape website)

image.png.7d6132e8aeb174de3c29148b5ec075d4.png

Bridge 6 is past Bilbrook Visitor Mooring.  It would also rule out the mooring rings down near the Napton Hire Base. 

I was planning on leaving my boat somewhere round there (maybe Bilbrook) unattended for a couple of nights, but now I'm really put off.  Does anyone have any experience of problems round there? 

We are on the Billbrook moorings now but I don't think we would have stopped if there hadn't been another couple of boats here. It seems rural but remembering the problems caused by local inhabitants when the IWA festival was here, we would hesitate to moor in this general area. It is interesting that all 3 boats have more than the usual 2 mooring ropes out. 

Haggis

The information in those guides is really old. I wouldn't necessarily trust it.

There's a good piled section north of the M54 bridge, on the eastern bank, where we've safely left our boat for a week or so.

Edited by Richard Fairhurst

We have not had any problems on the stretch referenced but we did have a break in and theft (overnight whilst we were asleep) just south of the junction opposite Oxley Marine. At the time there were those who were keen to blame the adjacent housing estates, which might also apply to the first mile of the Shroppie from Autherley but we were more convinced that it was another boater. I doubt whether there is any greater risk here than most other places, especially urban ones. If you are happy leaving the boat for a couple of nights generally then carry on.

When we came through Autherly in the late summer it was totally devoid of boats both on the shroppie & staffs & worcs.....never seen it totally empty.....didnt feel like being the only boat there so pushed on to compton....We have moored there in the past but for me its definitely one of those places where safety in numbers wins.

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

There were a load of Napton Narrowboats hire boats tied to the towpath just beyond the stop lock when we came through a couple of weeks ago. I would have thought you would be fairly safe if you tried up immediately beyond them.

There wasn't even a single hireboat in the summer.....not sure Id ever seen it like that.

15 hours ago, Richard Fairhurst said:

The information in those guides is really old. I wouldn't necessarily trust it.

There's a good piled section north of the M54 bridge, on the eastern bank, where we've safely left our boat for a week or so.

Thanks.  I know you were involved in making those guides!  I know the mooring spot you mention but it's a long way to walk from there to a car...

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I remain unconvinced, so I may have a re-think...

16 minutes ago, StephenA said:

Or push on for a bit and moor at Brewood

I'm currently at Brewood!  Brewood (like much of the Shroppie) is problematic anyway.  The visitor moorings are 48 hours (and deeply shaded).  The alternative is to use mooring pins.  Which is what I do.  But this time of year it gets harder.  The ground is very moist and soft, which isn't good for pins.  Autumn can be unexpectedly windy/stormy too.  In summer, the ground is drier and firmer.  In winter the ground is often frozen a bit.  Add to all that, the Shroppie is still heaving with boats moving (which I like), but so many of them are passing moored boats FAR to fast, as I've posted previously about. 

I don't mind pins in soft ground if I'm on the boat.  I'm less keen when I'm leaving it unattended.

Edited by doratheexplorer

13 hours ago, frangar said:

When we came through Autherly in the late summer it was totally devoid of boats both on the shroppie & staffs & worcs.....never seen it totally empty.....didnt feel like being the only boat there so pushed on to compton....We have moored there in the past but for me its definitely one of those places where safety in numbers wins.

Did not help us!