paddling my own canoe: paddleboard)

LadyG

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

C&RT didn't know what to call this (Victoria Plum's Garage) so they licenced it as an unpowered craft the same as a 'canoe'.

Victoria Plum's Garage Built by Unknown - Length : 3.66 metres ( 12 feet ) - Beam : 2.03 metres ( 6 feet 8 inches ) - Draft : 0.45 metres ( 1 foot 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 507115 as an Unpowered Unpowered Craft.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

Victoria Plum.png

Wouldn't they just licence it like any other butty?  What's different about this?

4 minutes ago, Tonka said:

the BCU licence has not been a stuck on one for quite a few years.

Correct, but my membership card is on a lanyard on my bouyancy aid.  I've had comments from CRT staff who were pleased to see it.

Edited by TheBiscuits
Stupid mobile phone

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Wouldn't they just licence it like any other butty?  What's different about this?

No idea, when he had it built (it houses his ride-on disability buggy on a hydraulic platform and ramp and unlodads onto the tow-path) he asked C&Rt what to register it as, they had long discussions and came back "a canoe".

It is only about 10/12 feet long so maybe falls below the dimensions of a Butty.

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Of course, I'd forgotten that C&RTs rules are optional.

Most paddle boards are between 11 and 12 feet long.

To be classed as a tender the paddleboard must be marked with the phrase "Tender To XXXXXXXX" (substitute boat name for the X's) and be marked with the boat registration number.

Most importantly all tenders must be under 9' 9" (3 metres) Above 3 metres it must have its own registration and licence.

Edit to add mis ing lette s

I'll have a shortie widebeam tender, same sq footage as a standard p'board, but will be more stable, though slower.

They are not cheap - inflatable ones start around £200 and more well-known brands from around £600.  They are very rigid once properly inflated.  Bought one for the summer holidays and the teenagers loved it.  There was a major shortage of them this summer due to manufacturing disruptions and massive increase in demand due to lockdown and more people holidaying at UK beaches.

Edited by garibaldi
update pricing

55 minutes ago, garibaldi said:

They are not cheap - inflatable ones start around £200 and more well-known brands from around £600.  They are very rigid once properly inflated.  Bought one for the summer holidays and the teenagers loved it.  There was a major shortage of them this summer due to manufacturing disruptions and massive increase in demand due to lockdown and more people holidaying at UK beaches.

a bit like puppies then.