paddling my own canoe: paddleboard)

LadyG

Featured Posts

Hi, just had chat with very nice mature guy who launched his paddleboard and set of for an afternoon on t'canal, he said it's great excercise, can anyone tell me more, I think it would help my balance and muscle tone, but I don't want to fall in the canal.

tx

Edited by LadyG

Google benefits of Sup. (STAND UP PADDLEBOARDING) it is very good for your core strength and you shouldn't fall in if you are doing it right. There may be a sup group in your area who can give you advice

Facebook helps you find them.

41 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Hi, just had chat with very nice mature guy who launched his paddleboard and set of for an afternoon on t'canal, he said it's great excercise, can anyone tell me more, I think it would help my balance and muscle tone, but I don't want to fall in the canal.

tx

a skateboard would be cheaper, but falling off would be more painful.

also not so good on canals with lotsa locks

A lifejacket will be essential.

It will be a very shallow canal for you to run aground.

At locks just pick up your board and walk.

No pollution or fuel costs and healthy excercise.

What's not to like?

Except cooking facilities overnight accomodation.

54 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

What's not to like?

I don't know about not like, but it seems to me to be a similar concept to having a quad bike on the public highway - all the disadvantages of a motorcycle with all the disadvantages of a car.  In this case it's a blend of a windsurfer and a kayak: both are great at what they are designed for, but it's daft to paddle a windsurfer and dopey to stand up in a kayak. YMMV

Anyway, there's one piloted by an idiot coming to a tunnel near you shortly... ;):D

3 minutes ago, David Mack said:

What licence do you need for a paddleboard, and how many paddleboarders have one?

From the C&RT website :

Do I need a licence?

Yes, you do need a licence to use a paddleboard on a canal. If you try stand-up paddleboarding with a club, they will arrange the licence for you.

If you want to go on your own, have a look at our short term licences. Our 30-day licence can be used on 30 different days throughout the year.

Where am I allowed to paddleboard?

You can use a stand-up paddleboard anywhere on our canal and river network, except for certain tunnels and aqueducts.

For safety reasons, we don't allow paddleboards to go through locks, so you will have to walk around these and rejoin the water further along.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canoeing-and-kayaking/paddleboarding/paddleboarding-a-beginners-guide

Edited by Alan de Enfield

40 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

British Canoeing membership @ £45 covers you, or a CRT only one is £51

But does BC membership cover paddleboards? A while ago I looked and couldn't find on either the BC or CRT websites any definition of what a canoe is. If you assume it covers only conventional kayaks and open canoes, then a paddleboard wouldn't qualify. Neither would a rowing dinghy. 

Is it really the case that BC membership covers canal use by forward facing sitting or kneeling paddlers, but not standing ones or those facing backwards?

Stand up paddle boards where snubbed by the british canoe union and were controlled by the surfing association.  Then there was a rumour that they were going to be in the Olympics and then the Bcu wanted it back and so it is covered by the bcu licence

19 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A while ago I looked and couldn't find on either the BC or CRT websites any definition of what a canoe is.

C&RT didn't know what to call this (Victoria Plum's Garage) so they licenced it as an unpowered craft the same as a 'canoe'.

Victoria Plum's Garage Built by Unknown - Length : 3.66 metres ( 12 feet ) - Beam : 2.03 metres ( 6 feet 8 inches ) - Draft : 0.45 metres ( 1 foot 6 inches ). Metal hull N/A . Registered with Canal & River Trust number 507115 as an Unpowered Unpowered Craft.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Victoria Plum 5.jpg

Victoria Plum.png

For safety reasons, we don't allow paddleboards to go through locks, so you will have to walk around these and rejoin the water further along.

But please don't launch it in the tail of a lock just as a boater opens the paddles!

We had two paddle boarders launching their boards on the lock landing between our boat and the lock,  opposite the bywash which was running. I thought they were going in but they both managed to get away ok.

As a kayak builder and designer I have looked at adding these to our line of products.  But I don't understand the attraction but obviously lots of people do.  I prefer sitting down rather than having to stand. I can cover so much more distance with the same amount of energy. Proper kayak (not a short, fat, bathtub) with a double bladed paddle will cover a lot more distance with the same effort.  But each to his own and I don't fault people that like them, I just don't get it.

10 minutes ago, Kudzucraft said:

As a kayak builder and designer I have looked at adding these to our line of products.  But I don't understand the attraction but obviously lots of people do.  

I couldn't understand the attraction either. A Kayak seems a far better proposition. 

Then I twigged.......a paddle board looks much like a surfboard at a glance. But as you can't really surf in most of the UK,  all these vanlife wannabes who buy VW campers can take up paddle boarding instead and still look cool on instagram with pics of the paddle board leaned up against the van.

So the attraction is that it's cool, and no doubt if you did add them to your product line accompanied by lots of pics of them leaned up against VW campers on Insta, you'll sell a bucket load of them!  

21 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It would be my tender of course, so is it free to me?

Of course, I'd forgotten that C&RTs rules are optional.

Most paddle boards are between 11 and 12 feet long.

To be classed as a tender the paddleboard must be marked with the phrase "Tender To XXXXXXXX" (substitute boat name for the X's) and be marked with the boat registration number.

Most importantly all tenders must be under 9' 9" (3 metres) Above 3 metres it must have its own registration and licence.

Edit to add mis ing lette s

24 minutes ago, LadyG said:

It would be my tender of course, so is it free to me?

"Tenders are small boats that are easy to lift out of the water and are just for getting from the main boat to the river or canal bank while within sight of the main boat.

If your tender is less than 3m long and it is normally carried on your boat or towed behind it, and only used to and from your main boat then you don’t need a separate licence. But, please make sure your tender is clearly marked with “Tender to YOURBOATNAME" and your boat's index number.

If you use your tender for any reason, or if it’s longer than 3m or cannot easily be lifted out of the water and stored on the main boat, you'll need to buy a boat licence for the tender."

so i guess as long as you fit the size criteria, slap your boat name on it and don't move out of sight of your boat you'll be golden?

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

But does BC membership cover paddleboards? A while ago I looked and couldn't find on either the BC or CRT websites any definition of what a canoe is. If you assume it covers only conventional kayaks and open canoes, then a paddleboard wouldn't qualify. Neither would a rowing dinghy. 

Is it really the case that BC membership covers canal use by forward facing sitting or kneeling paddlers, but not standing ones or those facing backwards?

The BCU definition of paddlesports is different to Cart's definition of portable unpowered craft.

In practice CRT are quite content with a Canoe England / BCU membership card on any portable unpowered craft.  In fact they are usually surprised to see one on display!

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

The BCU definition of paddlesports is different to Cart's definition of portable unpowered craft.

In practice CRT are quite content with a Canoe England / BCU membership card on any portable unpowered craft.  In fact they are usually surprised to see one on display!

the BCU licence has not been a stuck on one for quite a few years.