Oil from air intake...

Featured Posts

My (old) Beta 38's dripping oil from the air filter casing, about 1 drip every 5 to 10 minutes running.  I realise this is serious but I'm torn between considering a top-overhaul, a complete recon, finding a recon engine or having a new engine fitted (at an eye watering price).

What would you engine experts recommend me to do?

Thanks for any replies.

What is the engine like for oil consumption? If oil is getting down the valve stems to the air intake, then presumably more is going past the valves in to the cylinders and burnt than is running back in to the air filter. I don't know how any valve stem oil seals work on an old Beta 38, but these would be the obvious things to look at first and the easiest to check/replace, but may require the cylinder head removed, or it may be possible to do them in situ. If valve guides are worn, then cost and work go up.

Another possibility is a blocked breather, increasing crank case and valve cover pressure, forcing more oil past the valve stem oil seals. Again an easier and cheap fix. Other causes of increased pressure are piston ring blow by, so again harder and more expensive. Easy/cheap things first!

Other people here know a lot more about boaty diesels than me.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

Well I wouldn't set out to cross the Atlantic in that condition but if it starts, runs, doesn't smoke terribly and is otherwise OK I wouldn't be too worried. What happens if you take the oil filler cap off when it is running? lots of fumes puffing out? I don't know how the crankcase breather works on these engines or where it is but as Jen in Wellies says its well worth checking that out, lots of fumes and haze coming from that could well be pistons and rings but  those of us with very low standards would reckon that if it isn't clanging, rattling or making horrible noises its a good little runner.

Put a catch can under it and keep running it till it dies. It will probably run like that for another 10 years. Diesels are hardy beggars.

Check the breather into the air filter, and any other breather that is ventilating the crankcase. If one is blocked it will put any oil down the other.

Run it with the oil cap off and see what it throws out when its hot.

If you do have to fix it, put a full engine in rather than part which would be false economy.