Mesh in ventilators

Paul Gwilliams

Featured Posts

Good evening all,

In my dim and distant memory when the BSS started I think I read that you could put a flyscreen inside of fixed vents as long it was a certain size mesh.

Am I right or going la la?‍♂️

Reason for asking is I want to increase vent size but limit the incoming draught

Thanking you in advance

My bss examiner’s view is they reduce airflow by 50%.  If that is a problem for you, then take them out.  One thing to be careful about is after a few years they can catch a lot of fluff etc in which case it is more than a 50% reduction.

For a private boat, ventilation is only an advisory, so you can’t fail for it.

My BSS examiner, back in the days when it was a fail, rather than an advisory also reckoned 50% reduction for mesh. Mesh size irrelevant. It is mostly there to stop spiders abseiling in and if the roof of your boat isn't a dumping ground for logs, coal bags and general detritus, then there shouldn't be too many of them up there. I took the mesh out of mine.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 minutes ago, Paul Gwilliams said:

Thank you for your replies.

Think I'll not bother putting in. Our 8 legged friends will only find another way in anyway

Install spiders is the last item on the check list before handing over a new boat to the customer. ?️

It is part of the Recreational Craft Directive.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Install spiders is the last item on the check list before handing over a new boat to the customer. ?️

It is part of the Recreational Craft Directive.

Install spiders in the wing mirrors is also on the check list before handing over a new car .I think they also check they are there on every service .

1 minute ago, Troyboy said:

Install spiders in the wing mirrors is also on the check list before handing over a new car .I think they also check they are there on every service .

You can fail the MOT if they aren't there. Would you want to travel in a car that spiders consider to be unsafe?

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

then there shouldn't be too many of them up there.

Please can you come over and read this to them?  I've had to reduce the permitted headcount for the BSS because of the volume of spiders on the boat. (I've also noticed that the later in the evning/night they emerge, the larger they are. Some sort of relativistic effect I suppose.)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

(I've also noticed that the later in the evning/night they emerge, the larger they are. Some sort of relativistic effect I suppose.)

Their size increases exponentially in relation to the amount of alcohol consumed.

Seriously, spiders are a sign of a dry boat.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

Their size increases exponentially in relation to the amount of alcohol consumed.

Seriously, spiders are a sign of a dry boat.

Once we were boating and my wife took some Tramadol painkillers. Apparently the spiders were really big in the night!

A couple of years ago, my wife was struggling with hay fever, and the chemist recommended Beconase. A couple of hours later, my face turned blue/green and was waving mistily at her ( so she said). Looking at the packet, it stated in bold capitals, not to be taken by over 65's.

I still have the pack, along with the half price one, and with such hallucinatory products maybe there is a market at music festivals when they restart.

Edited by Ex Brummie