'Mouldy old Grout'

Featured Posts

Our shower room gets a bit cold in the winter and cannae stop the mould in the silicone between tiles

1. Used cheap white silicone for grout-                               mouldy 

2. Used 2nd most expensive 'never go mouldy' silicone-    mouldy 

3. used the 8 quid, 10 year guarantee no mould super duper top of the range silicone-    you know the rest......

any other ideas greatly appreciated -  is silicone more prone to mould than regular grout?   if it is, I may try grout instead. The walls are pretty solid so not much flex.

many thanks     Ed

On 19/10/2020 at 13:28, Polishicebreaker said:

Our shower room gets a bit cold in the winter and cannae stop the mould in the silicone between tiles

1. Used cheap white silicone for grout-                               mouldy 

2. Used 2nd most expensive 'never go mouldy' silicone-    mouldy 

3. used the 8 quid, 10 year guarantee no mould super duper top of the range silicone-    you know the rest......

any other ideas greatly appreciated -  is silicone more prone to mould than regular grout?   if it is, I may try grout instead. The walls are pretty solid so not much flex.

many thanks     Ed

Same in our house, Drying it after showring helps

16 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same in our house, Drying it after showring helps

I find wiping glass shower screens dry with a microfibre cloth not only dries them but stops soap and limescale deposits forming on the glass.

You will be very hard pushed to beat black mold on silicone in a bathroom environment as you keep making it wet and then for a while it remains damp. There must be a scientific reason why mold grows so easily on silicon, even ones that are supposed to be mold resistant, as I said earlier the best bet is drying things down after use