Oh dear

Midnight

Featured Posts

13 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

If you witness a law being broken,are you not allowed to use "reasonable force" to keep the perpetrator at the scene until the police arrive?!...

lad i used to work with came across a freshly rolled stolen car on the way home, managed to sit on (literally) one of the TWOCers whilst he phoned the police.

worst he got was impotent death threats from the little scrote he was sat on

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

If you witness a law being broken,are you not allowed to use "reasonable force" to keep the perpetrator at the scene until the police arrive?!...

Not easy if you were the sole witness and you are lying on the towpath with a broken leg while this miscreant pedals furiously away...

Edited by cuthound
To remove a duplicate post

10 minutes ago, sirweste said:

Come on now, no need to start ‘name calling’. Risk in design is ‘considered endangerment’, but you’ve clarified that it’s deliberate you’re referring to. 

ok, so if you’re referring to deliberately endangering a (for example) Walker, then the cyclist isn’t allowed to do this to an unreasonable level. However a cyclist who has dismounted and is walking past a pedestrian is also endangering the pedestrian to some level. Hence how it’s all about acceptable risk and considering what you and what the other party deem acceptable risk to be. 

people arent prevented from ‘speeding’ in cars, this doesn’t mean that speeding is allowed. 

From what I understand they also aren’t allowed to...just checked and they / we are allowed to cycle at any speed, thought there was a byelaw but I guess not. In any case, going back to my original point, and the topic, the poster should read “cycle considerately” not just about slowing down. Cycling, just as for driving, is about consideration not just about slowing down. 

plus, tbh, I’d rather they fixed shit like this:

Which I just encountered on me walk home

05B35E83-1365-4167-BEF2-B8F2281D635D.jpeg

No need to post it 3 times - we got the gist the first time !!

20 minutes ago, sirweste said:

From what I understand they also aren’t allowed to...just checked and they / we are allowed to cycle at any speed, thought there was a byelaw

In the days when the Bye laws were written you couldn't cycle on the towpaths (at any speed) without registering and having a BW Cycle permit.

Unfortunately this was done away (forgotten ?) with with the transfer to C&RT

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

... and a lack of patience with it.

Which was my point in the first place.

Not at all, was a long message on a phone, swapped between it and the camera and WhatsApp. Pressed the Submit button, it didn’t work properly. Copied the text, reloaded the page, pasted, received a call, tried to Submit and it didn’t work. Realised it was due to navigate away from the post I was writing, so pasted one last time and added some more text and then it worked. 

but it turns out it worked the previous two times, just without any indication that it had. 

I assume you’ve drawn me as impatient due to my perceived stance in this thread?

im generally not. But I certainly don’t hang about when I’m cycling. I make no plans to slow down, will continue to use the towpath for interval sprints where suitable however I will still continue to cycle with consideration. Which is what should be advocated. Just as boaters should be being educated that the towpath isn’t theirs and they must use it with consideration too I.e. giving way to faster users and not stepping onto it backwards without looking or listening. It’s really not hard, be considerate of one another. That’s it. 

It seems to me that the lawyers are the only winners in this discission. The cyclist doesn't aim his bicycle at the pedestrian. He sees the gap. Cyclists don't want to crash in to pedestrians or anything else and particularly not at speed. It hurts.

The question is how big does the gap have to be before the pedestrian doesn't feel the need to recoil. You would never be able to prove the size of the gap anyway. Witness everyone's interpretation of what two metres looks like.

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

In the days when the Bye laws were written you couldn't cycle on the towpaths (at any speed) without registering and having a BW Cycle permit.

I thought there used to be some sort of permit. 

Problems are, will your average Lycra lout apply for said permit. 

Also having 24/7 access to the towpath negates the private property / land. To keep it private access has to be denied a least one day. 

Aldershot town is mod property and they used to shut one half of the high street one day and the other half the next. Then again cyclists won't argue with a pedestrian wrapped in a tracked APC 

5 hours ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Get a rottweiler ?...EVERYTHING on the towpath slows down for  rotti!!?

Not Ronnie the freiendly ball-fetching Rottweiler in the Malt Shovel in Shardlow, the only way he's going to hurt anyone is by licking them to death ?

Mind you he does *look* really mean...

1 hour ago, sirweste said:

Not at all, was a long message on a phone, swapped between it and the camera and WhatsApp. Pressed the Submit button, it didn’t work properly. Copied the text, reloaded the page, pasted, received a call, tried to Submit and it didn’t work. Realised it was due to navigate away from the post I was writing, so pasted one last time and added some more text and then it worked. 

but it turns out it worked the previous two times, just without any indication that it had. 

I assume you’ve drawn me as impatient due to my perceived stance in this thread?

im generally not. But I certainly don’t hang about when I’m cycling. I make no plans to slow down, will continue to use the towpath for interval sprints where suitable however I will still continue to cycle with consideration. Which is what should be advocated. Just as boaters should be being educated that the towpath isn’t theirs and they must use it with consideration too I.e. giving way to faster users and not stepping onto it backwards without looking or listening. It’s really not hard, be considerate of one another. That’s it. 

Hope you wasn't riding your bike at the same time ??

53 minutes ago, IanD said:

Not Ronnie the freiendly ball-fetching Rottweiler in the Malt Shovel in Shardlow, the only way he's going to hurt anyone is by licking them to death ?

Mind you he does *look* really mean...

My rotti is just as friendly!..like you say,its the "perception" of them being mean!!.

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Not easy if you were the sole witness and you are lying on the towpath with a broken leg while this miscreantbpedals furiously away...

Good point!..That would have to be some impact though,think they would end up off the bike too!.....But it would leave you hopping mad if they did get away!.

6 minutes ago, Leggers do it lying down said:

Good point!..That would have to be some impact though,think they would end up off the bike too!.....But it would leave you hopping mad if they did get away!.

If you have had to jump out of the way and have fallen in the cut and banged your head, they can still be found guilty, even if there has been no impact between you.

See post #123

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes you could. No one was policing it and no checks were made. I still have my permit somewhere. You just printed you're own off and signed it. No I.D. was asked for.

There probably weren't too many Donald Trumps cycling the towpaths in those days but I bet there were plenty of Donald Ducks and John Smiths