Oh dear

Midnight

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Always got my stick on soles from Woolworths, but I don't remember the Phillips brand. Yes they did always come unstuck, usually at the toe.  I'd keep tripping over them on the way to school.

I think Phillips' were marketed as the "Stick-a-Soles" brand.

I had a sole-unstuck crisis two years ago when one sole came unstuck as I was on a train to Cambridge. You have no idea how long a walk it is from Cambridge station to the nearest shoe shop, or how many times I tripped over the damn' flappy-floppy thing on the way there. What's more, the shop wasn't yer plebby Shoezone, this was Cambridge after all, so I had to fork out £59 for a halfway decent new pair of shoes. On the plus side, I looked that bit smarter when I met my friend for lunch afterwards.

5 minutes ago, LadyG said:

In the days when Mum stayed at home and did the laundry in a tub while Father went to work, washing had to be done on Monday to ensure it was dried and ironed within the week, no  tumble dryers or central heating.

Er yes, my mother did that, but she certainly didn't leave the washing hanging outdoors all night. Many years later, when Mrs. Athy and I lived in Heanor, Batty Beryl next door used to, but then she was batty.

25 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think Phillips' were marketed as the "Stick-a-Soles" brand.

I had a sole-unstuck crisis two years ago when one sole came unstuck as I was on a train to Cambridge. You have no idea how long a walk it is from Cambridge station to the nearest shoe shop, or how many times I tripped over the damn' flappy-floppy thing on the way there. What's more, the shop wasn't yer plebby Shoezone, this was Cambridge after all, so I had to fork out £59 for a halfway decent new pair of shoes. On the plus side, I looked that bit smarter when I met my friend for lunch afterwards.

Er yes, my mother did that, but she certainly didn't leave the washing hanging outdoors all night. Many years later, when Mrs. Athy and I lived in Heanor, Batty Beryl next door used to, but then she was batty.

About 20 mins according to Google

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Not when you've got a flappy sole which keeps bending under your foot in spite of your best efforts, believe you me.

You might have tried the Nazi goose step,or the silly marching style you see in armies of third world countries.?

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Good story, except: why would washing be hanging out at night?

Many folk did on warm summer nights, but not knickers for fear of Nylon Ned knicking them. They were hung out briefly during the day when they could be kept an eye on. 

5 hours ago, Athy said:

What's more, the shop wasn't yer plebby Shoezone, this was Cambridge after all, so I had to fork out £59 for a halfway decent new pair of shoes.

That's nothing, I spent £60 on a pair of slippers at Roys of Wroxham recently - the pair I'd brought with me had gone the way of your shoes and one simply has to have slippers on holiday... 

I was going to put them back and buy a cheap pair, but when I tried the cheap pair on I realised just why the £60 pair cost that - my feet have felt cosseted ever since :) 

Edited to add - to keep it vaguely on topic we cycled along the old railway line between Stalham and Honing, which is kinda close to the North Walsham and Dilham Canal - I didn't wear my slippers for that though

Edited by magpie patrick

7 hours ago, Athy said:

Not when you've got a flappy sole which keeps bending under your foot in spite of your best efforts, believe you me.

Actually, that was what I was intending to imply. Earlier this year we were out walking when the sole of my walking boots disintegrated. 15 mins back to car was much longer than usual!

The Philips Stick-a-soles of the 1950's were made of rubber: dad used to do his own boot and shoe repairs and used to fit them to our leather soles of new shoes after we had roughened them. The Woolworths ones of the 70's on were I think a plastic, possibly polyurethane. After my father-in- law had his hip joint replaced he used to go for walks in his carpet slippers, which wore them out rapidly, so when we got him a new pair I fitted Woolworths soles and thin heels before we gave them to him. 

I can confirm the difficulty of walking when wearing a shoe with a half-detached adhesive sole!

Edited by Ronaldo47
Typo

On 19/10/2020 at 08:01, Chewbacka said:

More seriously, these posters are only to allow CRT to say “look we are doing something”, when actually they are not.  

I'm a bit late to the discussion but what would you like them to do exactly? It's very easy to criticise but what's your idea instead of these posters?

Edited by blackrose

There is a 27 page BW document looking at options to reduce / stop motorcycles (and to some extent cycles) on the towpath.

Basically the multi-page document came to the conclusion that anything they do will affect the less-abled (whelchairs & motability buggies) and familes with push chairs which contravenes their human rights to not be discrimated against They must have the same ease of access as any able bodied person.

Unable to post it because it is a Pdf, but a couple of screen shots of 'why it won't work'.

Look at the handlebar height restiction on the 'buggy' picture.

Screenshot (15).png

Screenshot (16).png

Screenshot (17).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There is a 27 page BW document looking at options to reduce / stop motorcycles (and to some extent cycles) on the towpath.

Basically the multi-page document came to the conclusion that anything they do will affect the less-abled (motability buggies) and familes with push chairs which contravenes their human rights to not be discrimated against.

I would have thought it was possible to design something which allowed pushchairs under and pedestrians round, with regard to mobility scooters perhaps use of the radar key.

Yes I know cyclists could get round the pedestrian part or get a radar key, the point being it would require them to slow down to do so.

3 minutes ago, Jerra said:

I would have thought it was possible to design something which allowed pushchairs under and pedestrians round, with regard to mobility scooters perhaps use of the radar key.

Yes I know cyclists could get round the pedestrian part or get a radar key, the point being it would require them to slow down to do so.

It was considered, but did not give access to all.

Would having a pushchair (seen some of these huge 2 & 3 side by side one ?) qualify for a RADAR key ?

Screenshot (18).png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

51 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It was considered, but did not give access to all.

Would having a pushchair (seen some of these huge 2 & 3 side by side one ?) qualify for a RADAR key ?

Screenshot (18).png

When we obtained a radar key for Mrs J's mum (wheelchair bound) we just walked in to the office asked for one and paid.   They didn't even ask our name.

2 different things here:

Motorbikes on towpath are illegal and are a police matter.

Push bikes on the towpath:  the issue is speed.  So the approach should be to slow them down, not restrict access.  Motorised wheelchairs are already slow, so they wouldn't be affected.

The problem is that CRT have allowed their towpaths to be 'improved' in a way that clearly encourages faster speeds.  The money has come from Cycle City Ambition Grants, paid directly from the DfT (not Sustrans as many think).  These grants would not have been paid if measures were included to slow down cyclists.  The whole point of them is to create a cycle network which provides a viable alternative to cars for local journeys. 

I, borrowed one of these, slow motorised wheelchairs once, about a year ago, I had  a tiny break in one of my feet and needed to collect something from Argos.

The owner said you don’t need the ‘quick’ setting and it will suck charge out of the battery. First thing I did was switch to ‘go faster mode’ and Bloomin’ eck did it move. Nor did I know that bus lanes were not an option for these flying machines. Great fun.

Had to have another beer when I got back!!

Edited by Nightwatch

3 hours ago, Jerra said:

I suspect the problem with Radar Key key is vandalism. They were fitted quite widely at one time but I have not seen a working one for ages and most seem to have been removed altogether. But I have not done a systematic survey!

4 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I suspect the problem with Radar Key key is vandalism. They were fitted quite widely at one time but I have not seen a working one for ages and most seem to have been removed altogether. But I have not done a systematic survey!

We never found a one not working perhaps it depends on the part of the country.    However in retrospect a "waterways key" would do.   It is just a case of making cyclists slowdown and having to unlock would do that.   Somebody is going to say they wouldn't close the gate, we have many self closing gates on paths up here in the Lakes.   I am sure something could be designed.

2 hours ago, Jerra said:

We never found a one not working perhaps it depends on the part of the country.    However in retrospect a "waterways key" would do.   It is just a case of making cyclists slowdown and having to unlock would do that.   Somebody is going to say they wouldn't close the gate, we have many self closing gates on paths up here in the Lakes.   I am sure something could be designed.

On the Calder Navigation they are locked in the open position or the swinging side is removed. CRT blame cyclists but they make no attempt to re-lock them. The one at Sowerby Bridge could be managed by the volleys at Tuel but I suspect it won't be.

2 minutes ago, Midnight said:

On the Calder Navigation they are locked in the open position or the swinging side is removed. CRT blame cyclists but they make no attempt to re-lock them. The one at Sowerby Bridge could be managed by the volleys at Tuel but I suspect it won't be.

That is why I suggested self closing gates.