Oh dear

Midnight

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, sirweste said:

I agree.

I think someone screaming “get the f*** out of the way you dick” is ruder than someone shouting “get out of the way”.

Why the need to shout? Is the cycling code not that they give way to pedestrians? 

Not even a " please" or " thank you" ? Just a demand?

Haggis

Edited by Athy

Just now, haggis said:

Why the need to shout? Is the cycling code not that they give way to pedestrians? 

Not even a " please" or " thank you" ? Just a demand?

Haggis

I agree. I never suggested anyone shout or scream. I never suggested anyone demand. I never said ‘they’ should not have manners. 

all I said was I found using a bell to be rude, and agreed with the points another fella made (back pedalling, braking etc)

11 hours ago, sirweste said:

I agree.

I think someone screaming “get the f*** out of the way you dick” is ruder than someone shouting “get out of the way”.

Why should you need to get out of the way, how about the bike stopping and getting off

Edited by Athy
  • Greenie 4

13 hours ago, sirweste said:

No I am not saying we should "keep looking behind us every couple of seconds", I never said or implied that nor do I have any idea how you've come to think I might have!

I also agree about the bell, I don't use one, find them rude, but understand they are used. 

I don't find a bell rude, the one I have at the moment has only one ping, and its quite melodious, I used to have a ring ring type, but only rang rang if I was getting close to people walking who had not heard me approach, no one has ever seemed annoyed.... I thank them or say g'morning....

10 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why should you need to get out of the way, how about the bike stopping and getting off

I agree. I've never said the pedestrian needs to get out of the way.

It's a shared path so just as you would if you met a jogger / child / walker, both parties would make space for one another. As for the cyclist dismounting, that would require the cyclist to consider the situation, taking bike skill, space, risk etc into the decision. For cyclist to always dismount seems daft to me

3 hours ago, LadyG said:

I don't find a bell rude, the one I have at the moment has only one ping, and its quite melodious, I used to have a ring ring type, but only rang rang if I was getting close to people walking who had not heard me approach, no one has ever seemed annoyed.... I thank them or say g'morning....

i think a lot of it has to do with how you use the bell.

steady speed, bell ring, stony face and no change of pace as they barrel past = wrong

slow down, bell ring, smile on face and a cheery greeting, wait until everyone knows what they're doing, make way slowly past with perhaps an exchanged pleasantry, thank them and on your way = how i roll

but you still get some who're determined to be offended no matter what you do.

As well as being fairly deaf I don't feel obliged to walk in a steady straight line - I might just daydream and wander to one side. Nor if I'm carrying a bag of shopping do I feel obliged to keep it tight to my side rather than let it swing about. I'd far rather a cyclist rang their bell (always assuming they even have one) than to clip me or my bag.

Tam

12 minutes ago, Tam & Di said:

Nor if I'm carrying a bag of shopping do I feel obliged to keep it tight to my side rather than let it swing about. 

I find that walking along the towpath with a boat pole and letting it swing about a bit is quite effective at calming the cyclists.

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

The single ping bells became all the rage in the 1950's if you happened to be rich enough to own a lightweight bike with ally drop handle bars, Doherty, Weiman brakes, Simplex, Benolux gears, or better still Campagnolo, double clanger chain wheel on at least an upgraded Viking, or Daws Debonair. Tailor built racing bikes like Duckett, Rory O'Brian, Hetchins, Leach ect were out of reach of Secondary Modern kids and were usually ridden by snobby high school kids. I couldn't afford any of these and made up my own by swapping things for wheels saddle ect, and fishing bits out of ditches.  My innertubes were just one load of patches, no mudguards, fixed wheel and no rear brake, BUT I did have a Ping bell like the posh kids but Phillips stick on soles on my shoes let me down that kept coming unstuck getting caught in the peddles and flapping on the pavement.

Edited by bizzard

3 hours ago, bizzard said:

Nylon Ned we use to call him round our way, he'd go ''panting'' as we called it round our way stealing ladies knickers from washing lines at night. I don't think anyone ever caught Nylon Ned at it though.

Good story, except: why would washing be hanging out at night?

21 hours ago, sirweste said:

< snip >

I'm sure there are time when going backwards is best, but why this means you can't look around before you do so I'm not clear on. What I am clear on is that 'the passing cyclist' may indeed have to then stop in an emergency, an emergency that could have been completely avoided if there wasnt someone stepping off their boat backwards without looking  a prat racing along the towpath on a pushbike.

Many years ago the District/Circle Line was "out".

So there I am with a hoard of other commuters plodding our way to work along the Embankment.

Suddenly up ahead we hear a very loud foul mouthed voice screaming at people to get out of the way.

It was about this time that the cycle courier was becoming a feature in London and here was a shining example of one "doing his thing".

Unfortunately for said courier, as he came flying past me, I had an involuntary spasm in my elbow.
Now the width of the pavement along the Embankment is of quite generous proportions but it is surprising just how far courier, bicycle and the contents of his courier bag will spread . . .

29 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes we should of course look before stepping backwards off the boat if only to avoid the dog poo. But we did the Erewash last year and coming up to and leaving locks was a nightmare - constantly having to step aside for a bike while trying to persuade the boat to do what it was told. Maybe the signs should clearly say that walkers and boaters have priority and bikes should stop until the path is clear.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, PaulD said:

Yes we should of course look before stepping backwards off the boat if only to avoid the dog poo. But we did the Erewash last year and coming up to and leaving locks was a nightmare - constantly having to step aside for a bike while trying to persuade the boat to do what it was told. Maybe the signs should clearly say that walkers and boaters have priority and bikes should stop until the path is clear.

Can't we all just join together in our mutual hatred of fishermen?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, sirweste said:

I agree. I've never said the pedestrian needs to get out of the way.

It's a shared path so just as you would if you met a jogger / child / walker, both parties would make space for one another. As for the cyclist dismounting, that would require the cyclist to consider the situation, taking bike skill, space, risk etc into the decision. For cyclist to always dismount seems daft to me

I assumed we were talking about cyclists overtaking, approaching from behind.

19 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Can't we all just join together in our mutual hatred of fishermen?

Some fisherpeople are quite polite.

4 hours ago, bizzard said:

but Phillips stick on soles on my shoes let me down that kept coming unstuck getting caught in the peddles and flapping on the pavement.

Always got my stick on soles from Woolworths, but I don't remember the Phillips brand. Yes they did always come unstuck, usually at the toe.  I'd keep tripping over them on the way to school.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Good story, except: why would washing be hanging out at night?

In the days when Mum stayed at home and did the laundry in a tub while Father went to work, washing had to be done on Monday to ensure it was dried and ironed within the week, no  tumble dryers or central heating.

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Always got my stick on soles from Woolworths, but I don't remember the Phillips brand. Yes they did always come unstuck, usually at the toe.  I'd keep tripping over them on the way to school.

Phillips stick on soles came after Clark's leather soled shoes with segs to prevent wear were superceeded. We heeled our own, but escewed stick on soles. By the time I would need new soles my feet were outgrowing said shoes.

Edited by LadyG