Oh dear

Midnight

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Hudds Lad said:

having been a victim of that i'd happily give a free wild swimming lesson to anyone i caught doing it, but i'm sure you're a clever lad who can use special blackthorn that can tell the difference between Strava hunting idiots and considerate cyclists or kids out with their parents.

I have nothing against cyclists who are considerate, but there is a few who think they own the towpath.

my comment was a joke the same as the comment about using a stinger.

I have no objection to considerate cyclists.I wish more of them fitted a bell as you can be unaware of them coming behind you.

I was whacked on the arm by a cyclist from behind on Saturday with no warning. It was quite a shock and after accusing him of having horse manure for brains and calling him a dickhead he just pedalled on.

Good job really because had he stopped and not apologised there would have been fisticuffs.

I like to go fast on the towpath were appropriate, wana get where I'm going as quick a possible really.

I'd argue that the sign should be more aimed at cycling considerately. Consideration is good, speeding along is also good, with consideration 

29 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I like to go fast on the towpath were appropriate, wana get where I'm going as quick a possible really.

I'd argue that the sign should be more aimed at cycling considerately. Consideration is good, speeding along is also good, with consideration 

If you can't stop in an emergency, and I've seen a few cyclists training on the towpath, then you are not considering potential accident situations. Several cyclists have passed me as  I am geting off the boat backwards, I can neither see nor hear them but they can see me ,and should ring their bell to alert me of their presence. I used to do a lot of training, the towpath is just not suitable for anything other than recreational cycling, if you want to go fast use the roads.

Edited by LadyG
  • Greenie 2

12 minutes ago, LadyG said:

Several cyclists have passed me as  I am getting off the boat backwards, I can neither see nor hear them.

Have you considered the advantages of getting off the boat forwards?

7 minutes ago, LadyG said:

If you can't stop in an emergency, and I've seen a few cyclists training on the towpath, then you are not considering potential accident situations. Several cyclists have passed me as  I am geting off the boat backwards, I can neither see nor hear them but they can see me ,and should ring their bell to alert me of their presence. I used to do a lot of training, the towpath is just not suitable for anything other than recreational cycling, if you want to go fast use the roads.

OK, well I said considerately right...which would consider stopping in emergencies.

On a tangent here, but I find car drivers always get mad at me when I step off the pavement, without looking, or listening, while walking backward......

In your opinion it's not suitable for anything other than recreational cycling. I find it can be suitable for me doing sprint training; as long as I'm considerate about where I do them.

And as for using roads...I live on a boat and that boat is next to the towpath, not next to a road

1 minute ago, Athy said:

Or even looking or listening, or perhaps both before moon walking into the unknown.

12 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have my reasons.

Sometimes it's easier or safer to reverse, I may be faffing about with mooring pins or cassette or laundry, all sorts of reasons, I suppose.

Edited by LadyG

4 minutes ago, Athy said:

I usually step off backwards holding the centre rope and watching the boat blowing around in the wind. Nearly got hit by a cyclist a few days ago. Just seen the CRT notice that the towpath where I moor is being resurfaced so they can go even faster.

• Greenie 2

11 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I have my reasons.

Sometimes it's easier or safer to reverse, I may be faffing about with mooring pins or cassette or laundry, all sorts of reasons, I suppose.

But, if you walk off backwards without looking or listening, as you claim, why should the passing public have the responsibility of alerting you to their presence?

I'm sure there are time when going backwards is best, but why this means you can't look around before you do so I'm not clear on. What I am clear on is that 'the passing cyclist' may indeed have to then stop in an emergency, an emergency that could have been completely avoided if there wasnt someone stepping off their boat backwards without looking 

Edited by sirweste
  • Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, PaulD said:

I usually step off backwards holding the centre rope and watching the boat blowing around in the wind.

If that works for you, fine. But when I jump off the boat I find it safer to look at the ground on to which I'm jumping.

4 minutes ago, sirweste said:

But, if you walk off backwards without looking or listening, as you claim, why should the passing public have the responsibility of alerting you to their presence?

I'm sure there are time when going backwards is best, but why this means you can't look around before you do so I'm not clear on. What I am clear on is that 'the passing cyclist' may indeed have to then stop in an emergency, an emergency that could have been completely avoided if there wasnt someone stepping off their boat backwards without looking 

What if your walking on the towpath with a hearing problem. Or have headphones on/in. No amount of bell ring makes a blind bit of difference. Are you saying we should keep looking behind us every couple of seconds to step out of the way, which I do to protect myself. (Hard of hearing) And why should you have to jump for your life when people hear a bell. I too have a bike which I ride on the towpath but don’t ring my bell straight away. First I make the brakes squeak. If that doesn’t work l peddle backwards. If no response I ring the bell. If by then they have not herd me I say bike coming. I find the more gentle  approach is much appreciated rather than ding ding get out of my way approach. I’m not against cyclists using the towpath as it’s there for everyone but i dread the coming of the speeding ones on a mission.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Jon57 said:

What if your walking on the towpath with a hearing problem. Or have headphones on/in. No amount of bell ring makes a blind bit of difference. Are you saying we should keep looking behind us every couple of seconds to step out of the way, which I do to protect myself. (Hard of hearing) And why should you have to jump for your life when people hear a bell. I too have a bike which I ride on the towpath but don’t ring my bell straight away. First I make the brakes squeak. If that doesn’t work l peddle backwards. If no response I ring the bell. If by then they have not herd me I say bike coming. I find the more gentle  approach is much appreciated rather than ding ding get out of my way approach. I’m not against cyclists using the towpath as it’s there for everyone but i dread the coming of the speeding ones on a mission.

No I am not saying we should "keep looking behind us every couple of seconds", I never said or implied that nor do I have any idea how you've come to think I might have!

I also agree about the bell, I don't use one, find them rude, but understand they are used. 

Edited by sirweste

2 minutes ago, sirweste said:

No I am not saying we should "keep looking behind us every couple of seconds", I never said or implied that nor do I have any idea how you've come to think I might have!

I also agree about the bell, I don't use one, find them rude, but understand they are used. 

Just a general comment. Not aimed at anybody.?

54 minutes ago, sirweste said:

In your opinion it's not suitable for anything other than recreational cycling. I find it can be suitable for me doing sprint training; as long as I'm considerate about where I do them.

You seriously think that a waterside path used by elderly (and sometimes infirm) adults, children, dogs, mooring pins and wildlife, as well as other cyclists, is a suitable place for sprint training? 

A five year old on a scooter has a wonderful calming effect on cyclists, they slow right down and have to almost stop ?. I try to keep one behind and one up front to ensure I can walk in safety along a busy towpath on a Saturday afternoon.

8 minutes ago, Cas446 said:

A five year old on a scooter has a wonderful calming effect on cyclists, they slow right down and have to almost stop ?. I try to keep one behind and one up front to ensure I can walk in safety along a busy towpath on a Saturday afternoon.

5 year olds lifes matters ?

47 minutes ago, magpie patrick said:

You seriously think that a waterside path used by elderly (and sometimes infirm) adults, children, dogs, mooring pins and wildlife, as well as other cyclists, is a suitable place for sprint training? 

Yeah absolutely. Depends on the location aye, hence me saying "considerate about where". Where I am now would be good for them, short sprints max effort, horrible.

Not done any this year as racing hasn't happened, but usually I do em, despise training in general but need to stay fit to keep on pace with the young'ens.

Would people be happy for cyclists to ride slowly, say 5-6mph, but not use any form of alert calls or ever give way, or give enough space when passing etc?

Answer: No. (I assume)

Hence, why the sign should read "cycle considerately", not what it does say about going slowly.

Edited by sirweste

2 hours ago, sirweste said:

I think shouting at someone to "get out of the way" is much ruder thsn the tinkling of a bell.

3 hours ago, Cas446 said:

Have you thought of renting them out? ?

12 hours ago, cuthound said:

I think shouting at someone to "get out of the way" is much ruder thsn the tinkling of a bell.

I agree.

I think someone screaming “get the f*** out of the way you dick” is ruder than someone shouting “get out of the way”.

Edited by Athy
Removing biological swearing

2 minutes ago, sirweste said:

I agree.

I think someone screaming “get the **** out of the way you dick” is ruder than someone shouting “get out of the way”.

Any need?